Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-16-2014, 10:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X14
For those that hate tubing

If anyone wants any ammunition as to why to not pull tubes, here is a peer reviewed article that can be found online.

www.jssm.com
Journal of Sports Science and Medicine (2010) 9, 92-97
title: A comparison of Wakeboard-, water skiing-, and tubing related injuries in the United States, 2000-2007.

The punch lines: "Tubing related injuries, compared to water skiing-related injuries were more likely to be severe (OR 2.31, 95%, CI 1.23-4.33)"

"While tubing is generally considered a safer alternative to wakeboarding and water skiing, the results of the current study suggest otherwise."
Old 07-16-2014, 10:32 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Level 1 tubing is safe. Level 3 tubing brings catastrophic results, up to, and including DEATH.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:02 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1999 Master Craft Pro Star 205
I'm not crazy about tubes, but my daughter and her friends really like it so I put up with it. They are a pain to haul around in the boat when not in use. But any water sport at the speeds achieved when slinging that tube around it's going to be dangerous.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Pro Star 205, 1995, 350 V8
I'm not crazy about tubes either. However, we do have a 3man HO mantube with arm rests that separate each rider. It's the 2nd one we've owned over the years, and it works good for kids.

We dont drive like maniacs with the 3man but its heavy enough to give the boat a tug and makes it more difficult to get outside of the wake.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
I can't wait to load up my sacs and really create some large bumps to yank them through... it is all speed control and safety is first, in all my years knock on wood I have never had anyone get hurt... well that didn't deserve it... JK!!!!

once they are out of the wake i always throttle down and then bounce them through even stopping... slow sends em just as high.. apparently the tikes like that bouncing... not sure why...
Old 07-17-2014, 10:22 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Current 2006- 200 SS 5.7 Former-2013 X30 6.2 Ilmor
Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
I can't wait to load up my sacs and really create some large bumps to yank them through... it is all speed control and safety is first, in all my years knock on wood I have never had anyone get hurt... well that didn't deserve it... JK!!!!

once they are out of the wake i always throttle down and then bounce them through even stopping... slow sends em just as high.. apparently the tikes like that bouncing... not sure why...
Agreed -- . slow sends em just as high..
Speed is what hurts them.
Drive them thru your our wake at 12-15 mph.... They will fly straight up.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:03 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2009 Mastercraft X-Star
The only ammunition I need is the word 'no.'
Old 07-18-2014, 12:23 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1982 Mastercraft Stars & Stripes Powerslot
Mission Accomplished

The kids on the lake love me because while all their parents have their new shiny $80k Moombas, Malibus, and Supremes "docked up" in the middle of a cove drinking and ignoring their kids, I am out in my little S&S pulling whoever wants to ski, board, whatever. There is no satisfaction greater to me than seeing the wide smiles of "X-Box Generation" kids and teenagers at the other end of a tow rope.
I will pull a tube only as a last resort; but only with parents' full consent and everyone's understanding that it is the kids' mission to stay on, and my mission to throw 'em off. I am a former active duty Marine. Marines ALWAYS accomplish the mission.
So far my best time is 18 seconds. (I never exceed 25 MPH).
Old 07-18-2014, 12:57 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Working the double-up properly will send even the most seasoned rider airborne. Indeed slow speed is the key. Too much speed and the tube flattens the wave. Good sport when the water is churned up.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Packages Starting at $569
4 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $319
2 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com

Last edited by thatsmrmastercraft; 07-18-2014 at 01:26 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:46 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1999 Master Craft Pro Star 205
I remember as a kid they didn't have the tubes like today. I had an uncle that was a truck driver and he gave us a tube. We tied a ski rope on it and away we went. It would stretch out quite a bit and that long metal valve stem would always get you. But it was fun.