Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-21-2014, 10:27 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2007 Mastercraft Marsitar 230 VRS
Tranny noise when power loading

Gents,
Last weekend, on our 2007 Maristar 230, we wrapped the tow rope around the prop shaft. The boat had drifted over it, we fired it up, and the engine snubbed when shifted into gear. Oh crap, looked at the back, and 1.5 hours later, the rope was free.
The boat was fine that day, pulled skiers, tubes, all good. Then, when loading it on the trailer, there was a racheting sound. Much like when you pull the winch strap out and the gears rat-a-tat-tat as the handle spins around. Weird. Next day on the water, all is normal. Skiers, wakeboard, kneeboard, surf, all good. Load in on the trailer, power up, same sound.
Is it possible that the rope wrapped around the prop shocked the tranny when shifted into gear and messed up a friction plate or something else? The tranny oil level looks good. Pretty certain that there is something there, will check it out last time. This is our first V-drive, after 20 years with I/O's. Oddly enough, never tangled a rope on one of those! Thanks in advance,
Steve
Old 07-21-2014, 11:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Prostar 190, LTR
My 190 direct drive make a special sound also only when power loading. Hard to say if it is the same type of thing you are experiencing, but it might give you some piece of mind.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X2
Is it fairly shallow under it when you power load or is it still pretty steep? Mine makes a noticeable noise on the shallow ramp I use occasionally. I figured it was from the water being driven off the slabs below.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:52 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 X-30, MCX
I get a similar sound, but I also feel a vibration in the steering wheel at the same time - I've always thought it was water rushing past the rudder if it's not turned to dead-ahead straight...
Sort of a combination of the water not having much room under the boat between the bottom of the ramp and the bottom of the boat, so it must be pretty violent under there during power loading...?
Old 07-22-2014, 11:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 Prostar 197
Tranny noise when power loading

Mine did that until I aligned the coupling behind the transmission. It was 5 thousandths out of round from the factory.

i attributed the noise to being on a solid trailer rather than in water where vibrations are dampened
Old 07-22-2014, 08:27 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ. View Post
Is it fairly shallow under it when you power load or is it still pretty steep? Mine makes a noticeable noise on the shallow ramp I use occasionally. I figured it was from the water being driven off the slabs below.
Interesting---it is pretty shallow. If this is the case, it will be like winning the lottery! I will try a different ramp next time, and try to have someone sit in the back of the boat and play sound detective.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:28 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiscoStu View Post
I get a similar sound, but I also feel a vibration in the steering wheel at the same time - I've always thought it was water rushing past the rudder if it's not turned to dead-ahead straight...
Sort of a combination of the water not having much room under the boat between the bottom of the ramp and the bottom of the boat, so it must be pretty violent under there during power loading...?
Great description. I had learned to use the rudder to keep the arse/aft end centered up between the guide rollers, I will play with that a bit.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 ProStar 190, 2004 Sea Hunt CC, Boston Whaler 13 Sport
I only load my boat a couple times per year, but I get a noise similar to what you describe. Turns out it is the sand and small pebbles being churned up by the prop. Doesn't do any damage, but it hits the bottom of the hull and prop. Kinda like a blender. Our ramps are pretty shallow.