Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 07-21-2014, 10:34 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2007 Mastercraft X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Are you weighting both port and starboard at the same time?
Yes, I currently have all of the ballast completely full front/rear/port/starboard. 40% front - 60% rear ratio. No longer any need to weight just one side. I will have an opportunity in a couple weeks as I head out to the lake for a guys trip. We will have about 8 guys (estimate another +/- 1600 lbs) then we can really play with shifting weight around to see what kind of wave we can get. I will post more pics soon as well as some surfing video. I'm still new to wakesurfing, but I love it! I think I love the challenge of dialing in a perfect wave more than actual surfing right now..... nah... I just love surfing and being on the water!
Old 07-22-2014, 08:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 X-Star 2003 X2 (SOLD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssnaples View Post
I will take some pictures of it attached out of the water so you can get a general idea. It is a very simple solution. Took all of about $20 in materials. I am all for helping people out. If you are interested in detailed specs. PM me and we work something out.

Sent you a pm
Old 07-22-2014, 12:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star, Custom Wrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokaneSteve View Post
I have also seen this, mostly made for Malibus now:

http://www.wickedwakesurf.com/index.html

Cheers, Steve.
Anyone in the Atlanta area with a 205V hull that would get templates made by them? haha I am too far away...
Old 07-22-2014, 01:11 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2007 X1
This is from Wickedwake:

"Thank you so much for your inquiry! We have done a Mastercraft build but it was for an X15, the only template we have for Mastercraft is based on that boat. We could do a custom build if you're local but for a new boat we need access to the boat. You're welcome to make your own. I know there are plenty of people out there who have come up with something themselves. Thank you so much for the inquiry, let me know if you have any other questions.

Mollie"

my brother and I may try to put something together to try it out.

Cheers, Steve.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star, LTR
Very cool idea. I'm interested in developing something for a 205V hull as well.

Is anybody willing to share the approximate angles of the gate relative to the water as a starting point?
The yaw angle of the gate relative to the longitudinal axis of the boat.
The roll angle of the gate relative to the surface of the water.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:54 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 PS205, then a 2002 X9, and now a 2012 X14V
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssnaples View Post
Why these manufacturers have not come out with an affordable (I know, that word should never be mentioned around boating equipment) retrofit solution is beyond me. They are so worried about tabs being deployed over a certain speed and getting sued. This could be a huge market if people just got off the sue happy bandwagon and let people be creative so that everyone can enjoy this growing sport without owing a $140k wake monster.
I actually think it's more about wanting you to buy a new boat where the profits are higher. Retrofits could certainly be done, but new features sell boats. My $0.02

"KC"

Cmon...lemme just push one button...
- Red X14V on Center Hill & Old Hickory lakes in TN -
Old 07-22-2014, 02:45 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft X-Star
Please post pics when you have time. I am very interested and will be making one of these for my 04 star
Old 07-22-2014, 03:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star, Custom Wrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokaneSteve View Post
This is from Wickedwake:

"Thank you so much for your inquiry! We have done a Mastercraft build but it was for an X15, the only template we have for Mastercraft is based on that boat. We could do a custom build if you're local but for a new boat we need access to the boat. You're welcome to make your own. I know there are plenty of people out there who have come up with something themselves. Thank you so much for the inquiry, let me know if you have any other questions.

Mollie"

my brother and I may try to put something together to try it out.

Cheers, Steve.

Yeah they said a similar thing to me. But if there is someone in the area with MC's they can develop it on that mastercraft hull and will then have a template to produce for anyone else.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:00 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
Sent you a pm. I'd love to build one for my week of vacation that starts this Saturday.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
This does almost what the back of my boat actually looks like.

I've been saying this for a while. It's the steep lip from hull to transom. It makes a very turbulent wash, that with enough weight could throw a decent wake. But tons of weight. Then there the boat like mine where there is no step or transom really. As the rub rail goes to the water line and the hull meets the water line. Creating a smooth transition. Resulting in what many have compared my wake with half the ballast to much bigger models.

These gates seem to do the same thing, just allow the water to be less turbulent when leaving the apex of the hull/transom transition.

Soon you will see swooped transom that aren't such a 90 angle with the hull. Or at least add on devices that do the same thing. Mark my words.

Tags
2007 x2, ballast setup, surf setup, wake plates, wakesurfing