Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 07-21-2014, 01:55 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1982 Mastercraft Stars & Stripes Powerslot
Let it cure overnight, then went out this morning to install the tracking fin and blots. I was actually pretty proud of my precision in machining this thing as after a quick clean-out of the threads with the tap the bolts went right up and through with a nice tight fit. I loaded the tracking fin base and all the bolt holes up with a good layer of sealant (not 3M 5200 in case I ever need to disassemble), and tightened the plate down from underneath. Once everything was tight and I ensured that I had a uniform and sufficient squeeze out of sealant around the fin base, I went top-side and installed the washers, lock washers, and nuts.
Attached Images

Last edited by Olaff; 07-21-2014 at 02:11 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:01 AM
TT Enthusiast

Here is a close-up of the finished product. Now not only is my pylon base never going to go anywhere, but I have also reinforced the leading tracking fin.

As I was mixing the several batches of resin for the base mount, I packed fiberglass cloth into the trans-stringer bracket mounting holes and filled them with resin as well. This should give me a good solid mounting point for that. I ran out of time this evening and had to go put the steaks on the grill for dinner, but I am going to pre-drill the newly reinforced stringer holes and remount the upper bracket this week.

I have an idea for handling that low spot in the forward bilge that I am also going to address later this week. Posts and pictures to come!
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2014, 04:49 AM
TT Enthusiast

Better idea for trans-stringer pylon bracket

So after thinking about the physics of whats holding that bracket tight, I cane up with a better idea than lag bolts. I'm not sure if the lag bolts that were in mine were stock or from a previous owner, but they were 3/8" lag bolts screwed through a 1/2" hole in the bracket and into the stringers. That means with even just a little loosening of the previous blots the bracket has an opportunity for movement.
So I went to my local bolt supply this morning and got 8 what he called "long nuts". They are stainless steel, and measure 1/2" thread by 1 1/4" long. A 3/4" wrench or socket fits the nuts, but if you measure across the widest point it is 7/8" across. I also got 8 matching 1/2" x 1 1/4" stainless steel bolts with washers.
Here is the fun part... I decided to "rough up" the outer surfaces of the nuts and flush-mount them into the stringers with epoxy. To keep the epoxy out of the threads while they were setting, I taped the "deep" ends of the nuts with masking tape, then set them open-end-up on the bench and filled about 1/4" with candle wax to keep the epoxy out. I drilled out the original 3/8" holes in the stringers with a 3/4" bit so I would have a REALLY tight fit (remember these nuts measure 7/8" at the widest point), filled the hole with epoxy, and hammered each nut into its hole with a deadblow hammer until flush at the surface (with the bolt screwed in about 1/2 way).
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2014, 04:55 AM
TT Enthusiast

It did take a little work to get the 1/2" bolts in the 1/2" holes lined up with the 1/2" threads, but I got all 8 in and there was absolutely no play even before I tightened the bolts.
I took a pic of the final product before I did some other work (see "Antique S&S Bow Bilge Doesn't Drain") and installed a new floor section. But the picture came out blurry and now it's all put back together.
I'm going to open it up again after boating season is over ( late October) and I'll snap a pic and post it then.
Attached Images

Last edited by Olaff; 07-26-2014 at 05:29 AM. Reason: added pic
Old 07-26-2014, 09:30 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
Beautiful job, great craftsmanship!
Old 07-26-2014, 11:00 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Your a "belt and suspenders" kind of guy, aren't you?

Nice work!
Old 07-27-2014, 12:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
Your a "belt and suspenders" kind of guy, aren't you?

Nice work!
Ever heard of the "6 P's"
"Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance"

We have big genes (and jeans) in my family. I'm 6'4" and 250#. My 16-year old son is 6'5" and 210#. I have 3 more kids behind him that are packing away the groceries. The kids love to go doubles and we have pulled triple a few times. That pole is going to see a lot of strain in the coming years.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:59 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1990 Maristar 240 SC, 454/425hp
Nice job! Looks like you can even pull tubes and big stuff. I hesitate to pull tubes from my pylon and only use my lift ring at the stern because of the massive amounts of stress tubes put on rigging getting on plane, but I love the cross-brace idea. Well done!
Old 07-29-2014, 11:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks 6gun.
I had 2 kneeboarders and the oldest son on a wakeboard at the same time all attached to the pylon this evening. I had the corner of my eye on that pole at each pullout, it never budged!
You don't have the same pylon setup in the Maristar, do you?
Old 07-31-2014, 01:24 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1990 Maristar 240 SC, 454/425hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaff View Post
Thanks 6gun.
I had 2 kneeboarders and the oldest son on a wakeboard at the same time all attached to the pylon this evening. I had the corner of my eye on that pole at each pullout, it never budged!
You don't have the same pylon setup in the Maristar, do you?
Very similar...mine mounts to the hull at the base, but has (2) U-Bolts through a floor support cross member about 10" up from the hull mounting point. Never budged...except for 1 time when I was pulling a tube from the aft lift ring and wanted to shorten the rope and just looped the rope still tied to the lift ring around the center pylon....increased the mechanical advantage to the point where the pylon was bending 2"-3" inches....not recommended or tried twice...quite remarkable.

Tags
pylon, reinforcement, s&s restoration