Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 07-14-2014, 09:16 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Trim tab wiring 06/07?

Doug(ttu) and I are trying to figure out the wiring for 06/07 trim tab. I believe the brain box is the same, except for the plug, 06 / 07 as far as wiring is concerned. The switch in the early year 06s is different, but again, the main wiring is the same.

The purpose of this effort is, Doug wants to add a trim tab to his 07 x2 and I want to move my early model gauge and switch to the later model location.

On the early model 06 the brain box has 9 wires.

From the box to the switch - 3 wires
Blue (up)
Green(com)
White (down)

From the box to the trim tab - 2 wires
Black w/red stripe - connects to the black wire on the trim tab harness
White w/red stripe - connects to the white wire on the trim tab harness

From the box to the gauge - 1 wire
Yellow - to wiring harness and then straight to the gauge (terminals below)

From the box to the wiring harness
Orange - connects to a purple wire before entering the loom this goes to a keyed accessory 12v
Red - to the loom and more then likely to the breaker.
Black - into the loom and then to the main ground buss bar.

The brain box.

The early model 06 switch

My breaker panel has a wake plate, the red and black wires from the box run into the main loom so I ASSUME the main power wire for the brain box runs to this breaker.

On the, what I believe is the, newer switch wiring harness there is a red/green wire at the female end of the connector and I'm not sure where this should run from on the male end. Since I don't have the pre wired pig tail for the new switch in my boat I don't know what this goes to. My GUESS is that goes to a switch 12v source but that is just a GUESS at this point.

If someone has this plug and wouldn't mind helping out. Could you throw a multimeter on it and see if it is indeed a keyed 12v for me? Thanks.

Last edited by CantRepeat; 07-14-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:08 AM

The wires that run from the brain box to the harness. On later model 06/07s there may be a pre-wired deutsch connector for these.

Black - goes into harness and then to main ground buss bar.
Red - goes into harness and then to breaker.
Yellow - goes into harness and then straight to gauge.
Orange - spliced to a purple wire that goes into the loom and goes forward to a keyed accessory.

Last edited by CantRepeat; 07-14-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:18 AM

Wiring for the trim gauge.

Yellow - from box to harness to gauge - Terminal S.
Black - from main buss bar to harness to gauge - Terminal G.
Blue - from forward helm(could not follow it out of the loom) to harness to gauge - Terminal L. (note: this wire has 12v when the Nav/Anchor switch is in the Nav position and 0v when Nav switch is on Anchor; surely this is from the loom that provides 12v when Nav lights are on)
Purple - from the helm (could not follow it out of the helm loom) to harness to gauge - Terminal I. (this is a 12v keyed source)

Last edited by CantRepeat; 07-14-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 214V
Yes, it is 12 volt. I cannot remember if it was key activated been a couple years. IIRC it was straight 12 volt hot all the time. The brain box keeps power all the time also, that's how it knows to go back to zero after sitting for 7 minutes without power, I actually find this annoying because if you get the tab set where you want it and turn the boat off for more than 7 minutes, then you have to lower or raise to liking again...
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2014, 05:27 PM

So the red and green wire is 12v keyed or 12v constant when the key is off?
Old 07-15-2014, 09:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

CantRepeat, I don't remember for certain if it was 12v keyed or constant, so if someone else doesn't come along and post, I will check the next time I'm at the lake but that wont be for a couple weeks. That pic is from some time ago when I was chasing a problem, but I thought it might help as you can see the jumper wire and other connections.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw View Post
CantRepeat, I don't remember for certain if it was 12v keyed or constant, so if someone else doesn't come along and post, I will check the next time I'm at the lake but that wont be for a couple weeks. That pic is from some time ago when I was chasing a problem, but I thought it might help as you can see the jumper wire and other connections.
No worries, tnx for the pic.

At this point I've got it all working except the red light on the toggle. A couple of more wires to chase down and then some clean up.

Since I know it's a 12v I just try it both keyed and constant and see what behavior changes it makes.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:16 AM
TT Enthusiast

You just need to figure out which one of the jumper wires will make the light activate. The light only activates when toggle is switched to the up or down position. That switch has several jumper wires on it which makes it even more confusing...
Old 07-15-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw View Post
You just need to figure out which one of the jumper wires will make the light activate. The light only activates when toggle is switched to the up or down position. That switch has several jumper wires on it which makes it even more confusing...
Ironically, it appears I don't need that wire. The switch loom has a red and black wire coming out of it and I just hooked them to the +/- buss bars and it all works. Red light works, trim tab goes up and down and the gauge works. I did, however, use a 4 plug connector and have the wire that goes to the red and green wire zip tied up in case I need it.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:06 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
tim, good to see you are getting this knocked out!