Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 07-13-2014, 05:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 X star
Anyone had issues with Jabco pumps failing?

I have 2 rear Jabco reversible pumps that seem to be having issues. I saw on wakemakers that they suggest not installing upside down or it will cause pump to fail sooner then later. When I bought the boat the port side was installed upside down. Is this how Mastercraft does them from the factory?

My second question is if I truly do have a pump issue. Port side pump will only work every so often? How do you know when your pumps are fried? Its popping the breaker when pump won't turn. I assume the motor is locked up? No shorts and its getting power.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft 2007 X2 MCX
MC did factory install some pumps with the pump head on the top. The pump heads can leak and the motor is not water-proof, so after time the motor will corrode. This happened on my port side pump after about 3 years. It would run but it was very loud and had a grinding sound. Eventually it just stopped turning. I took it apart and the bearings were completely rusted.

If yours is tripping the breaker and it won't run, its a pretty good bet the motor is shot.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Never heard it grind, and it always worked unless impeller was stuck from not being used for a long time. Not until I took it into the shop did it ever act up. They said both pumps were making grinding noises and wouldn't work. Got it home and both pumps worked right away. Except port pump which shortly quit working and started popping breaker. Can't get that one to work again.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:15 PM

Boat: 06 X30
This thread talks about repairing the pumps.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=42810

There is also a TT member that sells the bearings and seals. You might get lucky on a repair. As stated, pumps mounted with the pump head in the up position burn of pretty regularly. I suggest whichever you choose, rebuild or replace, install them with the pump down!!
Old 07-14-2014, 08:38 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Both of my rear pumps were mounted upside down and both failed. Flipped them over about 3 years ago and they've been trouble free since.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:17 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X-46 6.0L BSO-II Gen2+
MC seems to mount most the pumps upside down on most the boats I've seen and that although it's been going around these forums as long as I'm here, I just dont get it, is nobody reading this? Or is it going to take an expensive consultant in a couple of years to figure how to cut the costs on the 5-year warranty plans?
Old 07-14-2014, 01:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

For those of you that have the port side pump mounted upside down how do you mount it? Being the bracket is on opposite side.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star, LTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersonmc View Post
For those of you that have the port side pump mounted upside down how do you mount it? Being the bracket is on opposite side.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...t=37078&page=3

Rotate the pump head 180 degrees.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Star View Post
I understand flipping the pump 180 degrees but if my pump is not wired for reverse (separate pump for empty bag) then how do I wire it?
Old 07-14-2014, 02:26 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersonmc View Post
I have 2 rear Jabco reversible pumps that seem to be having issues. I saw on wakemakers that they suggest not installing upside down or it will cause pump to fail sooner then later. When I bought the boat the port side was installed upside down. Is this how Mastercraft does them from the factory?

My second question is if I truly do have a pump issue. Port side pump will only work every so often? How do you know when your pumps are fried? Its popping the breaker when pump won't turn. I assume the motor is locked up? No shorts and its getting power.
I had the same problem a few years back. I replaced my impellers from black to green, no more problems with popping breakers or pump not running. If you don't have green impellers yet get them first and try it. Black are too stiff and sometimes the pump won't spin.