Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 07-11-2014, 05:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 Prostar 190
Gas leak near fuel pump - '97 PS190 350 tbi

I recently disconnected the fuel line at the fuel pump and must have jostled it too much. I am now getting a fuel leak at the junction of the metal tube connected to the device holding the fuel pump. It is in the middle of the attached picture -- it is the metal tube that connects to the bottom of the fuel pump and then connects on the side of the fuel pump holder just above what I guess is the return fuel line. The leak is at the brass nut that has a red mark above it in the picture.

I tried tightening the brass nut and it didn't budge, so I'm guessing I need to replace with part. Anyone know what I should do to repair this, and if that involves replacing the part can you tell me what the part is so I know what to ask/search for?
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2014, 10:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

Anyone?
Old 07-13-2014, 11:42 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
that's interesting... does your fuel pump have the 2 fittings on the bottom or one? That looks like a different fuel pressure return system to me... IMO - have not see that before...
Old 07-13-2014, 12:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

It has the two fittings on the bottom. The connection that is leaking is leaking at the brass nut under the red mark and that fuel line curves down and connects to the second fitting on the fuel pump (the fitting that is angled out a bit).
Old 07-13-2014, 01:02 PM

That's fuel return. May need new fitting . That brass nut nut should fail before housing . You may need to refabricate the line and get new compression nuts .. Not a hard job and you can rent tools at most auto shops to bend and flare that metal tubing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2014, 09:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Update: The brass nuts will not come off. I've been periodically spraying PB Blaster on the threads today and also tried using a line wrench to grip four sides of the head, but all I'm doing is rounding the head. I've been focused on the brass nut/connector attached to the housing but I also haven't been able to get the lower brass connector off (the one attached to the bottom of the fuel pump).

I called my mechanic today and he suggested some things to try (including the line wrench) but warned me not to round out the head too much or it would make it that much harder for them to get the thing off. Unfortunately, he doesn't have any openings until Friday.

The leak is dripping one drop of fuel every 18 seconds or so, which makes me nervous about using the boat until I have the leak repaired. I guess I'm going to miss a few days of skiing this week unless any of you have an idea of how to get this thing off. I took another pic of it today looking at it from the side (see below). You can see in the pic a fuel drop starting to form on the bottom of the brass nut where it is leaking. I put a plastic bag under the area to stop the fuel from dripping down into the bilge.
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2014, 06:05 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1996 Prostar 190, LT1
Those nuts shouldn't be that tight, any possibility they are a reverse thread?
Old 07-15-2014, 08:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 prostar 205 lt1
No. Looks the exact same as my 97 LT-1, standard thread. While not reverse threaded they could easily be cross threaded as the brass fittings are not that strong. You have to hand start each end before tightening them down.

DO NOT use that boat until you fix the leak.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:18 AM

IMO - you will have to take that all apart. - The brass fittings hopefully will sacrifice and new tubing will have to be made. I wonder if there is now valve in that house for the pressure return.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:35 AM
TT Enthusiast

mikeg205 -- I'm not clear on what you mean with your sentence about "valve in that house" -- could you clarify?
Also, when you say "take that all apart" are you saying the two fittings and the metal fuel hose or are you saying the whole fuel pump assembly will need to be removed? Is there something inside that pump housing I will need to get to?

blackcreek -- thanks for the warning about not using the boat. It's hard not to, but warnings from others help me feel more convicted about not using it.