Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 07-13-2014, 07:05 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
If you wouldn't mind, I would love to send the pdf for you to look at. The second level does utilize kneewalls because of pitch, but the space is still usable.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:02 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 Prostar 209
I'm not a builder. My dad was for the past 20+ years. I'm building a new house now though and I'm going to a full basement with 10' ceilings. Also debated finishing an "attic" space from the original plans. Your builder's numbers are off in my humble opinion. My basement is being quoted at $30k for about 2k sf. The attic seemed to me like it would have been cheaper but due to reasons noted above (joists, hvac, plumbing, electric, etc) actually costs a lot more to convert/finish. I agree with the other opinions that it all depends on the original design and how much is really changing, i.e. ceiling vs floor joists originally planned on being used. Would recommend getting more quotes/input. If RTW will do it great.
Btw, I live in Maryville, TN for cost comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2014, 01:55 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X-25 with the awesome 6.2
We just did our basement - 10' poured walls except one end which is about 4' - 2950 sq ft - $47,000 for the basement - unfinished price, of course. The cost of the same footprint crawlspace was quoted at $37,000, although that would have been poured footers and block crawl - not interested in a crawl and for only $10k extra to gain almost 3000 sq ft was a no-brainer.
Attached Images

2013 X-25
Old 09-22-2014, 07:17 PM
MC Fanatic

Reviving this thread, but only to ask another question. We finally got our second floor issues worked out...mostly. We have decided to do floor joist upstairs instead of ceiling joists. We are going to sub the plumbing and electrical rough-in for upstairs when they get on-site. We are not going to fully finish the upstairs at this point, but we will purchase the drywall and have them stage it upstairs during construction so we don't have to mess with it later on. After talking with the guy from the lumber company, he quoted us about $1500 for the decking for the upstairs. I am just going to purchase it separately from the rest of the house and have the framers do it when they are framing everything else. I haven't talked prices for labor yet and wanted to see if you guys could get me into a ballpark for labor cost of this decking of the second floor. It's roughly 50-60 pieces. I know I could do the labor in a weekend, but wonder what it would cost to save myself the work. Thanks
Old 09-22-2014, 09:01 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickespi View Post
Reviving this thread, but only to ask another question. We finally got our second floor issues worked out...mostly. We have decided to do floor joist upstairs instead of ceiling joists. We are going to sub the plumbing and electrical rough-in for upstairs when they get on-site. We are not going to fully finish the upstairs at this point, but we will purchase the drywall and have them stage it upstairs during construction so we don't have to mess with it later on. After talking with the guy from the lumber company, he quoted us about $1500 for the decking for the upstairs. I am just going to purchase it separately from the rest of the house and have the framers do it when they are framing everything else. I haven't talked prices for labor yet and wanted to see if you guys could get me into a ballpark for labor cost of this decking of the second floor. It's roughly 50-60 pieces. I know I could do the labor in a weekend, but wonder what it would cost to save myself the work. Thanks
How complex.....assume 2x8xlabor rate?

Sent from my SCH-I435L using Tapatalk

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 09-22-2014, 09:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1985 stars&stripes
In most cases labor cost is around the same as material cost. That is what i would guess for this project if you are singling out just the sub floor. The best way is to glue and screw it down, it's a pain on the ole knees, but you are right. You and a buddy could do it in a day. In a nutshell, my guess is no less than a thousand and hopefully no more than 1500. You might could talk around and find someone who does little projects like this on the side. Someone like this would probably charge 500 or so. Atleast that's what i'd charge.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:19 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
How complex.....assume 2x8xlabor rate?

Sent from my SCH-I435L using Tapatalk
The area is roughly 1600 sq ft and rectangular. Nothing real crazy and only 4 outside corners.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:01 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Not trying to thread jack.

but can those of you that built custom homes chime in on what you paid to custom build your homes per square foot?

Thx

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 09-24-2014, 12:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1985 stars&stripes
Built mine for 60 with most of the bells and whistles. That was me doing around 80% of the work myself. Appraised for 95. $1 lock and key is a good number for our area in ne alabama.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
Not trying to thread jack.

but can those of you that built custom homes chime in on what you paid to custom build your homes per square foot?

Thx
I don't know our total "all-in cost" or accurate SF....but I think ours was around $250/sf! With a ton of landscaping, asphalt driveway, etc.

1994 205, LT1