Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-12-2014, 12:22 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2015 X23 w/giant punkin motor
Interesting flaw when I decided to list my new x30. Anyone else notice it?

So, as many of you know, I have been extremely impressed with my surf wake with gen2. Since day one, I have not spent much time listing the boat, because I have been so impressed with the gen2 wake after swapping to bigger locker bags, and throwing 400lbs of lead up front.

Well, last night, I had some time to play around, and see what it could do. I pushed the button to load up like normal, and then I started filling a couple other sacks. One of which, was a 900lb in the coffin, and also a 150lb brick up under the radio. At rest, it wasn't seriously listed, but certainly enough to notice.

I pull up the first surfer, and the wake is bigger than usual, by a pretty good margin. It is also steeper. First surfer is lovin it, and starts testing the feel farther back, and closer to the boat. All of a sudden, his nose goes down, and he is in the water. Pulled him up a few more times, and everything looked great, right up to the point he gets close to the platform (6-8 feet back) and down goes the nose again..... We shrugged it off, and maybe Zach was just having an off night. His girlfriend jumps in for a tow, and nails some new stuff behind it (she is one of those freakishly athletic peeps, that just seem to have a 1000% faster learning curve than anyone else). She starts playin around some more, and comes within 6ish feet from the platform.... Down she goes. I am still thinking nothing of it, and it is my turn. I try my usual platform start, and just as I am exiting the platform and on full floatation, the board nose dives just a few feet back. I'm like "hmm, that felt funny". I get back up, and test that part of the wave. It sucks me right down. So, I get back up, and hang as far to the left as I can, and watch the wave, as it comes of the side of the boat. Sure enough, I see the problem.

When the x30 is weighted that heavy and listing that much, the water hits the rubrail, right in front of the "hip" on the side of the boat. This was causing the water to deflect downward off of the side of the boat, and it created a huge hole in the wake, about 6-8 feet behind the boat. Not a hole that you could see. The wave looked normal..... I then told my 3 passengers to sit on the starboard side, and I checked the side of the boat. Wave was still huge, clean, and had mega push. It was also not deflecting off the rubrail anymore. The "hole" was completely gone, and we surfed happily ever after.

I know, I know. Long story. I wanted to share, because I was completely baffled at first, and wanted to give you x30 owners a "heads up" in case you ran into this phenomenon!!
Old 07-12-2014, 12:38 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X30. If you want a custom Soulcraft let me know :)
We list the boat with that much weight but haven't had that issue. That's really odd. The only difference is I don't put any weight upfront at all. It's all on the side we are surfing. When we list we never deploy the Gen2 tabs. Not sure if you did or not

Last edited by TheWoons; 07-12-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X30, 6.0L, Gen2
FourFourty, thanks for the post. I am at our lake for a month and have not tried listing that much yet. Did you deploy the Gen2 tab while listed and if so, how much. Also, was the wave that much better listing than filling they way you have been and using Gen2? We seem to get a decent wave with Gen2 and I am not sure I want to mess around with filling and emptying for different sides if the wave is only marginally better. I look forward to your thoughts.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:56 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbray View Post
FourFourty, thanks for the post. I am at our lake for a month and have not tried listing that much yet. Did you deploy the Gen2 tab while listed and if so, how much. Also, was the wave that much better listing than filling they way you have been and using Gen2? We seem to get a decent wave with Gen2 and I am not sure I want to mess around with filling and emptying for different sides if the wave is only marginally better. I look forward to your thoughts.
IMO there is a significant difference when listing the boat versus using Gen 2….
Old 07-12-2014, 12:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X30, 6.0L, Gen2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoons View Post
IMO there is a significant difference when listing the boat versus using Gen 2….
If i remember correctly you do not use the GEN2 tabs when listing. Is that correct?
Old 07-12-2014, 01:16 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 ProStar 190 & 2006 X9
Pardon my ignorance, what is listing?
Old 07-12-2014, 01:21 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTour X9 View Post
Pardon my ignorance, what is listing?
When a boat is lower in the water on one side than the other...think of the cruise ships when they take on water...boat is not flat on the water...one side is leaning more than the other.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:33 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 ProStar 190 & 2006 X9
Thanks Rockman! I'll feel smart next time I go surfing.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft X-45 2008 MCX
The MC this week told me that sometimes when heavily weighted to deploy the tab a bit on the side you are surfing. Seems counter-intuitive.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:13 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbray View Post
If i remember correctly you do not use the GEN2 tabs when listing. Is that correct?
We don't use Gen2 at all anymore….