Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2014, 11:56 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: N/A
Looking for my first boat

Hi all, im new to the forum, but have been around boats for basically my whole life. The time has come for me to need my own boat. Im a college student, but I have worked paid internships and saved some money here and there to have a budget around $5k. I have searched here and other websites to find out what my options were. I want an inboard ski/wakeboard boat. It seems that 80s MCs can be bought within my budget, and with a little work, they can make good watersports boats. My problem is the want/need for an open bow. I want a boat with more space for people to go out with, and these are harder to find. I have done some research and found the Mastercraft PS 205. This was introduced in 1992, and is still out of my price range. Are there any other, possibly older, inboard, open bow MCs within my budget?
Thanks for the feedback
Old 07-10-2014, 12:00 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Open bow, probably not unless you find a screaming deal. What's your primary use for the boat? You a skier, wakeboarder, wanting to surf, etc? That will make the biggest difference as to which boat to look at.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:04 PM
TT Newbie

I guess i would be wakeboarding more than anything else
Old 07-10-2014, 12:07 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
There might be some older Tri Star 225s out there.

At your price point, I wouldn't get too attached to the idea of an open bow. But if you put a flyhigh pole or tower on a closed bow, you'll have room for 6 if you're boarding. As far as slalom goes, the open bow boats' slalom wakes tend to suffer when you overload them with people in the bow or otherwise.

Good luck!

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:09 PM
MC Maniac

Usually the MasterCraft's you'll find in the under 5k category are either major restoration projects, or the older stars & stripes boats. The S&S boats all have closed bow, so that doesn't sound like it's an option for you. Tristar's have an open bow and would probably be your best bet at that pricepoint.

If wakeboarding is your primary concern, you may want to branch out and look at other brands to get exactly what you're looking for. Good luck in your search!
Old 07-10-2014, 12:33 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks for the replies. I will expand my search to include tristars. I know this is a MC forum, but are there any other makes/models you guys could suggest?
Old 07-10-2014, 12:37 PM
MC Maniac

Ski Nautique SN2001 (that's not a year, its the model of boat)
Supra Saltare/Pirata/Sunsport/Rider/Beast (stay away from the comp, it's closed bow and a ski boat)

I'd start there. All of those will give a great wakeboard wake.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
I picked up my 91 240 for 6k. The deals are out there. Just take your time to find them. You might need to look at more than just MasterCard though. When I was looking my criteria was similar, but I also HAD to have composite stringer construction

However, at this price point I want you to know what boat stands for. Bust Out Another Thousand. This is proving true for me. Especially if you buy just a boat and trailer. I had to buy new trailer tires, get all the lifejackets, bumpers, dock ropes, flares, other random stuff. It ads up very fast.

I turned down a 205 for 5800 because it had a saltwater history. It did have mismatched interior aswell, but came with tower and aluminum trailer.

For your price, you'll be looking at the oddballs in the mastercraft family. Think Tristar's, and early maristars. For 5-6 g's youll find something in decent shape for sure, but be ready to put money in monthly for oddball things.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:39 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Yeah do what I did. Find friends with wakeboard boats. Lol. Older MCs arent good wakeboard boats whatsoever. But if you're dead set on getting a boat, the SN2001 is a great choice.

Where do you go to school?
Old 07-10-2014, 12:39 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
I'd be looking for a supra mariah or sunsport, or a nauti 2001 if it were me. A 205 would be a great boat but you aren't going to find one in that range unless its a turd or you are lucky.