Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 11-07-2013, 12:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
98 205 Rear Seat Redo

During the season this year the removable rear seat/sun deck was damaged. You can see in a couple of the images below the damage to the ends that made it so it would no longer sit where it was supposed to. It looks like the structure of it is "honeycomb" aluminum or something along those lines. I don't think I am going to be able to fix it, so I am trying to decide how to make the new base. I am thinking either epoxy coating plywood, starboard, or building a metal frame. I kind of thought a metal frame would be the most sturdy since there isn't much support in the middle when in the sun deck position. As long as its not crazy heavy, I am not too worried about weight. If I used plywood or starboard, would it be strong enough without adding some kind of additional support beneath it? How thick would you recommend? I should have the ability to re-create the bends with tubing if I decide that route.

Last edited by jschildm; 07-09-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:48 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I hate that honey comb junk.. nice when new but does not last... many threads with honeycomb substrate repairs...looking forward to seeing more pics.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 ProStar 190
I had the same issue on my Prostar 190, and used marine plywood, but I made a removable center block to keep it from bending or breaking when anyone stepped in the middle (like my kids do 100% of the time). It has been just fine, and weight really wasn't that much of an issue. Sure, it's heavier, but it's not crazy.
Here's my refurb post, scroll through to that part. Hopefully it'll help you decide on what to do. And good luck:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=44584

1996 Prostar 190, LT1

"5 out of 4 people have a problem with statistics..."
Old 11-10-2013, 11:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for the info Jeffer. I have thought about doing essentially the same thing. I have a ballast bag I use on the floor there, so I am not sure about adding the block though. Do you use your new seat in the sun deck position any? Ours spends a lot of time in that position, and not everyone is as careful as I am about not stepping on it. That is probably the biggest thing keeping me from going to wood or starboard. What thickness of plywood did you use?
Old 11-19-2013, 02:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 ProStar 190
Yes, we do, but mostly my wife who is about 100 pounds...I have a couple times, seems ok but I hear you, not sure exactly what it would support. And I have read a few postings of rebuilds with wood that cracked in the middle when stepped on, so if you can't do the center block, that might be a risk for you too!

1996 Prostar 190, LT1

"5 out of 4 people have a problem with statistics..."
Old 11-19-2013, 02:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99' Sportstar
I have a 99' but mine did not have the Sun deck option on my sportstar, I thought about it, but decided to just rebuild the back seat last winter. You can find my re-build on the following link:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=51252
Old 11-19-2013, 04:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

I saw your thread before, and really like that idea. However, I think the seat being a sundeck is a requirement with the boss. I also wondered about making a step in the middle, and or a spot for a cooler.

I am still trying to decide my long-term plan, but keep the ideas coming. They help to foster creativity, which is an area I need all the help I can get.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:32 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Different boat, different seat, but when I rebuilt my rear bench, I designed in storage and a center step area. So far it's worked out very well. I do wish I had gone with thinner, stiffer foam, so I could make the cushions thinner and create a deeper storage space underneath. Holds plenty of stuff. The last piece of it is putting LED strip lights in the storage area with a switch on the dash, so I can find things at night.
G
Old 04-09-2014, 10:00 AM
TT Enthusiast

Time to update this old thread .... I asked a couple places around but they didn't have the ability to do the bends in steel tubing like I was hoping. My friend never got back to me about if he thought he could or not. For that reason, I opted to go with some 3/4" marine grade plywood. I am going to coat it with resin, and I think I might bolt a piece of angle iron or square steel tubing across the bottom side for some additional rigidity.

So far all I have done is gotten the seat base cut out. After pooping my pants at the cost of a 4'x8' sheet of marine grade plywood I traced out my old seat base and cut it out with a jig saw I borrowed. I had pulled the boat up to the house from our storage unit for some other work, so this allowed me a bit of trial and error to get a good fit.

Here is a crappy picture of how the base turned out. You can see the old seat base in the picture near it.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:45 AM
TT Enthusiast

I finally had some time to get resin on the seat base. I wouldn't exactly say it went how I had planned it, but it seems like it should seal up the marine plywood nicely. This is my first attempt at interior work like this, so I am not exactly in my element.