Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 07-08-2014, 11:22 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 X30
2001 X-30 - Getting Boat Onto Trailer

I am now the proud owner of a 2001 Mastercraft X-30 after about ten years with a 1991 Glastron 1700 that I absolutely loved.

My question - the "driving the boat onto the trailer" thing is a new experience for me. I have had the boat in three bodies of water. In the first two, I backed the trailer into the water until the fenders were submerged about two or three inches, per the advice of the dealer, and there was not problem getting the boat onto the trailer. At the third lake, I guess the ramp has a different slope, because I had to back the trailer in much further to get the bow eye over the "V" shaped bunk and up to the Boat Buddy. When I did that, though, the rear guides were completely submerged and I had trouble getting the boat onto the trailer straight.

Is there a trick to getting this right?
Old 07-08-2014, 11:38 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 X-30, MCX
Yes, there is definitely a trick to it, but it just takes a bit of playing around. I find it works best like you said - fenders about 1"-2" underwater, BUT MAKE SURE to back your trailer all the way in first to soak the bunks at the front too. This will help the boat slide up to the boat buddy a little better.

When the water level is down, and the slope of the ramp is steeper, I do the same as you - back it in deeper. Again, the thing here is to play with it - I can put the trailer in deeper, then when it's hooked into the boat buddy, I'll stay in the boat while someone pulls the truck out SLOWLY - and I guide the boat onto the bunks at the back by making sure it stays centered between the uprights. Once we've cleared the water, it's a quick check to make sure she's sitting OK on the bunks, then pull up off the ramp to spray it down and dry it off...

"EDIT" - you said the GUIDES were completely submerged? Wow - I've never had it in that deep before... There should be no need to go that deep, just go deep enough to be able to power the boat up onto the bunks. It needs a little bit of resistance to guide itself properly.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:39 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
I also put my trailer in deep so that I can float the boat onto it. I just have my wife center it while driving out of the water by pushing on the guide pole. Even if it is a little off center, it seats itself on the drive home after the first turn usually. And Welcome!
Old 07-08-2014, 11:51 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X14
My driver's side guide post is set exactly perfectly (I bent it by mistake once and had to bend it back) so that if a person is in the boat, they can rest the boat rub rail against that post and it fits onto the bunks perfectly. My brother is the one that pointed out adjusting one post with some bending/pulling/pushing so it is just off the rub rail pays one back dividends in the long run. He has ~15 boats on trailers and every one of them sits ~1/2-1" off the driver's side guide post when properly on the bunks.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:44 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 X30 ltr
it is trial and error. all depends on the angle of the ramp. the ramp i use is a good 45 degrees or a tad more. i like the idea of adjusting guide or guides, i may look into that soon!!

Resident TeamTalk Jacka$$
2002 black X30
1973 s&s project
Look for me on CHL!! I am in the black X30 with the stars and stripes flying off the tower!!!
Old 07-24-2014, 02:20 PM
MC Addict

man i just reread this where r u located?

on our steep ramp i just barely cover my fenders. now i have to goose her to get her up to the boat budyy but hat works for me.

here is a pic of the ramp. i will take a pic of just the ramp this weekend.
Attached Images

2002 black X30
1973 s&s project
Look for me on CHL!! I am in the black X30 with the stars and stripes flying off the tower!!!
Old 07-24-2014, 10:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 X45
Is that Edgar Evins on Center Hill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2014, 11:03 AM
MC Addict

yes it is silverdawg. i put in at the Park ramp and ease over to where my parents keep their houseboat. we are on the wavebreak dock. second boat from the right end as u come in. we love that dock. we have been at each on on the lake for awhile. had a houseboat up there for 34 years and i like this dock the best.

where might u be?

2002 black X30
1973 s&s project