Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 07-10-2014, 10:55 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Quote:
Solid rear axle "track" car lol fail. Ill take my 90 grand and scoop up a 2014 911
Who is talking about a solid axle car? The Camaro is independent in the rear.

Also....Solid rear axle track car is not a fail. Typically, a track is well paved and maintained unlike our public roads so this helps a solid axle as opposed to on the public roads. Also, you must be thinking hillbilly; solid posi axle suspended by a couple leaf springs. This is not a track setup. You can get fancy with a solid rear axle and it will perform VERY well, and be lighter, and cheaper, and stronger (per $).

Also, manufacturers do typically warranty the vehicle even if you track it. They key? Don't talk about you tracking it and don't modify it. I think the only real issue with this is on a drag strip on a prepped surface. These are loads generated that are typically not designed for, and it really is a lot of stress on the drivetrain if you launch hard. Road course though, provided your running the OEM tire or similar and not an r-comp, there should be no reason not to warranty the vehicle. Your well within the loads the car should be designed to take.

The warranty thing is dealer dependent. When I autocrossed my Mazda3 competitively the local dealer in my town wouldn't touch it for warranty work. I went to another dealer and they warrantied it, even though they knew I raced it. The manager said it himself, its not modified outside of different brake pads and Im still running a street tire (sticky Toyo R1R's) so it shouldn't break. He also gave me a bunch of business cards to hand out lol.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: X2 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
Who is talking about a solid axle car? The Camaro is independent in the rear.

Also....Solid rear axle track car is not a fail. Typically, a track is well paved and maintained unlike our public roads so this helps a solid axle as opposed to on the public roads. Also, you must be thinking hillbilly; solid posi axle suspended by a couple leaf springs. This is not a track setup. You can get fancy with a solid rear axle and it will perform VERY well, and be lighter, and cheaper, and stronger (per $).

Also, manufacturers do typically warranty the vehicle even if you track it. They key? Don't talk about you tracking it and don't modify it. I think the only real issue with this is on a drag strip on a prepped surface. These are loads generated that are typically not designed for, and it really is a lot of stress on the drivetrain if you launch hard. Road course though, provided your running the OEM tire or similar and not an r-comp, there should be no reason not to warranty the vehicle. Your well within the loads the car should be designed to take.

The warranty thing is dealer dependent. When I autocrossed my Mazda3 competitively the local dealer in my town wouldn't touch it for warranty work. I went to another dealer and they warrantied it, even though they knew I raced it. The manager said it himself, its not modified outside of different brake pads and Im still running a street tire (sticky Toyo R1R's) so it shouldn't break. He also gave me a bunch of business cards to hand out lol.
You are 100% right
I see broken drivetrains every time I go testing at the two local drag strips… Funny thing AAA tow trucks will not hook up the broken street cars on track property? the owners push them out on the city streets then call a tow truck ?? I don’t know if the tow truck drivers tell the dealerships where they picked up the car?? Most of the cars that toss there drivetrains are less than 1 year old
Old 07-10-2014, 12:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Quote:
You are 100% right
I see broken drivetrains every time I go testing at the two local drag strips… Funny thing AAA tow trucks will not hook up the broken street cars on track property? the owners push them out on the city streets then call a tow truck ?? I don’t know if the tow truck drivers tell the dealerships where they picked up the car?? Most of the cars that toss there drivetrains are less than 1 year old

So I've heard of this, but it typically involves someone wrecking their car. It was in the newspaper around me a while ago. Someone hit a wall at the track in there car. They drove it away, and then got the cops involved and a tow truck. It then came to the cops realization that the car didn't wreck on the street since there was no damage to anything around or any evident of off-roading in the ditch (Around here I think you need a police report to get insurance claim). then from there it somehow hit the newspapers that this was a common occurrence fro guys wrecking at the track...blah blah blah.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:57 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X30. If you want a custom Soulcraft let me know :)
The Z28 limited edition car is meant to be a road race car not a drag race car and it does VERY well on the road course.