Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 07-07-2014, 09:34 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X9
2006 X9 just shut off

2006 X9 have never had any trouble. Been running all summer. Had pulled the kids and was taking another lap around the lake for the day and it just cut off. Had to be towed in. It will turn over, but will not fire. I have wiggled every connection and even the kill switch. Any ideas???
Old 07-07-2014, 10:28 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Sounds like a fuel pump to me.
Which engine you have?
Do you know how to check for fuel pressure?
Were you low on gas?
Old 07-07-2014, 01:10 PM
TT Newbie

Thats what i'm thinking, MCX engine. No I'm not aware of how to check fuel pressure. No, I have 1/2 tank of fuel.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:15 PM
TT Newbie

if it is a fuel pump, can i match it up at a parts house or do you recommend going thru mastercraft? $$$$$
Old 07-07-2014, 01:30 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2004 X2 350 mcx
Go to autozone and rent a fuel pressure tester. You will hook it up to the Schrader valve that is located on top of the hard line that feeds the fuel rail. looks like a valve stem inside. Once you have that done source a clean dry clear bottle to bleed the air out of the gauge and get a fuel sample. First turn the key to run the pump and prime the lines and fuel rails you should be getting a reading in the 58-62psi range. If not bleed any air out of the hose that feeds the gauge very easy normally just a small button to depress. Try again and look for 58-62 psi. Please note that due to coast guard requirements it will not hold pressure due to it being an unpressurized system.

Using the tester is easy and the counter guy at autozone should be able to give you quick tutorial on use as well.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:47 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprcrprv2 View Post
Go to autozone and rent a fuel pressure tester. You will hook it up to the Schrader valve that is located on top of the hard line that feeds the fuel rail. looks like a valve stem inside. Once you have that done source a clean dry clear bottle to bleed the air out of the gauge and get a fuel sample. First turn the key to run the pump and prime the lines and fuel rails you should be getting a reading in the 58-62psi range. If not bleed any air out of the hose that feeds the gauge very easy normally just a small button to depress. Try again and look for 58-62 psi. Please note that due to coast guard requirements it will not hold pressure due to it being an unpressurized system.

Using the tester is easy and the counter guy at autozone should be able to give you quick tutorial on use as well.
This.
And this.http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=25783

This link will save you 500$...If it's the fuel pump.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:28 PM
TT Newbie

I called to Dealer today to price a fuel pump for fun. The parts person said that it could be the "low" pressure pump or the "high" pressure pump. Q1- Does a '06 X9 with an MCX engine have 2 fuel pumps? I'm getting the pressure tester tomorrow and heading to the lake to check to see if it is the pump. Q2- I read and saw where there was a fuse around the rear of the motor compartment. Can anyone tell me where i can find that photo again?
Old 07-14-2014, 07:19 PM
TT Newbie

Help!! 2006 X9 fuel pump brands & cost.

OK, I checked everything out and it is definitely the fuel pump. the pump is a Carter. Where can i get a "good" pump the chepeast. the Nautique dealer said the best pump was a Bosh. What is the consensus about this brand? Mastercraft wants $870.00 for a replacement.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 X-Star 2003 X2 (SOLD)
2006 X9 just shut off

I had mine go out last summer. Spent the bucks (thought It was around 650) on mastercraft module and bought just the pump off amazon. Put amazon pump in old module. Now I have a spare that I keep at the lake house. I'm pretty sure the pump from amazon is only 60 bucks. If you need the info I can look up my amazon history.

Last edited by markmcfarland; 07-14-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
I's get the airtex model mentioned in the "Fuel Pump 101" thread