Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 07-06-2014, 05:33 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2005 X-9 With MCX
2005 MCX Starter - Part Number (from an X-9)

I am in a semi remote location and I am pretty sure my Starter is the problem. I would like to try to replace it myself or with a local mobile mechanic as otherwise I'll have to get the boat towed to a boatlaunch. I cannot easily get to a mastercraft dealer to get a replacement and the closest one is closed today (Sunday).

Does anyone know if there is an oem replacement or a Indmar part number that I can use to have some local marine or automotive shops see if they have an equivalent starter. Also we are in a rush so I don't know if I want to wait to get it rebuilt.

I have searched all the manuals I can find online and my user manual and I can't find a part number for the starter anywhere.

Any help would be appreciated.

Boat is a 2005 X-9 with MCX Engine. 300 hours. Starter never replaced yet. Honestly, I have also not been removing it and lubing the shaft.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:42 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Probably will need to pull it and bring it to a shop to match up an equivalent. Need a spark proof marine version as auto equivalent isn't spark proof. Sometimes the starter / solenoid won't work due to the wiring loose or corroded. Might want to check that put as well.