Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-02-2014, 03:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC Tristar 190 OB, 1989
Losing power today and on vacation

OK, so we are at Lake Norris and I'm having problems so not aot of options. So, there is a full service marina here, but looking for some checks first. When accelerating I am losing power. Should mention its a 351w carbureted. I have verified fuel is squirting in the first 2 barrels of the carb when revving to 1100rpm or so. It is not just cutting out but seems underpowered or takes a lot of throttle to respond. Also smells like a lot of gas sometimes like maybe its flooding itself or something. Should I get some Sea Foam or carb cleaner and spray in to see if it makes a difference? I ha e owned this boat for 3 years now and never had a similar problem or messed with carb or fuel system at all. Did replace fuel filters last season though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2014, 04:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, Indmar 351
Send a message via Yahoo to JMann
Did you look to see if gas is leaking out of the carb anywhere? i.e. little puddle's of gas on the top of the manifold. I have had two times when there was a strong smell of gas from the dog house and both times my carb was leaking out.
The first time the tube that transfers fuel from the front bowl to the back bowl, the O Rings had gone bad and were leaking gas out.
The second time after the rebuild I was idling out and noticed a strong smell of gas. The cover on the power valve wasn't totally tighten and was dripping gas. There wasn't much a very small puddle of gas on top of the manifold. I was able to go back to the marina pull the carb and tighten the power valve cover (each screw between an 1/8 and 1/4 turn) bolted it back down and everything has been fine since.

I would get it started with the top open and look for leaks or little puddles on the top of the manifold.

Good luck
Old 07-02-2014, 04:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1986 Mastercraft Slot
verify your choke is opening, next check the power valve.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 Mastercraft X-9 MCX
Can't give advice on the problem, but if you need a mechanic, Greg Hessler runs Hessler Marine Service out of the Deerfield marina. He will come to wherever you are on the lake. His number is 423-566-0109. Good Luck!
Old 07-02-2014, 06:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Well, after parking to swim for a while and doing some more skiing and cruising, the problem did not occur again... weird. I will check these things but I didn't see any wet spots earlier when running and inspecting carb. I need to read up on power valve and where that is. Is the choke the flap on top of 2 barrels? Thanks Norris_ps205 on the mechanic tip. Good to have a tip on someone trustworthy if needed.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:37 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
OK, had the same on my 88 once.

There are about 5 places where you can get fuel constriction. Moving from the carb to the tank - screen at carb, usually a small inline filter, then the fuel pump often has a filter. Then the fuel water separator - that can get water in the bottom - drain it off.

But what got me was that there is a rubber tube that is attached to an elbow that goes down into the tank. I would look there first - just pull the rear seat and follow the fuel line, remove its clamp, grab an adjustable wrench and spin out the elbow and lift it up, it should be free from restriction.

I would do that and then the other filters - because in mine there was a coiled springy thing in there packed full of crap.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:37 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, Indmar 351
Send a message via Yahoo to JMann
Do you know which carb you have? if not post a picture and someone hear will tell you.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Pretty sure the carb is 4160, but I'll look and get more info or pics of it later. Will check for fuel restrictions, but would that be an intermittent problem?

Old 07-02-2014, 06:53 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Be extremely careful operating your boat if there is a smell of raw fuel. The possibility of explosion and/or fire is too great.

Check your fuel line where it connects at the carb and fuel pump, fuel filter or water separator. Use a Kleenex to wipe the areas you can't see. If there is any liquid you will be able to find it. Any discolored low spots on the intake manifold indicate fuel leaking and evaporating.

A rich condition can exist if there is an obstruction in the needle and seat preventing one or the other from closing. this can be on either the primary or secondary side of the carb. With the engine idling with the flame arrestor removed, carefully look down the throat of the carb for any fuel pouring out. Then shut off the engine and inspect for fuel pouring out. These are indications of a piece of debris stuck in the needle and seat (or a float issue, though they don't tend to just happen all of the sudden). If there is an obstruction in a needle and seat, it can be cleared by removing the fuel bowl from the side with a problem. If there are blue colored float bowl gaskets, this is a simple job as they reusable. If they are brown or black gaskets, they would need to be replaced. I had this problem a couple years ago on the first day of a week long vacation. It literally took me 15 minutes to resolve and be back in operation.

It doesn't sound like a power valve. When they fail, they go to full rich. You would see black smoke coming out the exhaust and would have soot start to build up on your transom.

SPECIAL ST205/75R15 LRC KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Old 07-02-2014, 07:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Here is a shot of what the carb looks like. Definitely don't find any leaks around the fuel lines. Looks really dry there.