Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-03-2014, 12:07 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
So really the only difference from where I like to start, and that picture; is that I don't like the hips flexed to the chest so hard/the butt so deep in the water. Obviously leaning back and pulling don't work whatsoever. But to me as the boat pulls the skier up the main motion isn't a pivot over the front boot while the boat pulls but more of a riding the ski up out of the water.

Functionally I think most skiers end up doing the same thing, a few frames past there and the hips probably straighten up a bit and from there on out the same.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Maristar 240 SC
My Ahh Ha! Moment when learning was when I figured out the closer to horizontal my ski was to the water the easier it was. Once again ski as close to the butt as possible. Also too much time in forward idle before power just gives too much time to wiggle and fight to stay straight. I focus on getting set and locking in place. The boat will do the rest. 3 seconds to full or near full power is about right. Faster and the handle might pop out, slower and you are just fighting the instability of plowing.
Head up, ski flat, arms straight, ankles locked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2014, 01:46 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 PS190 View Post
So really the only difference from where I like to start, and that picture; is that I don't like the hips flexed to the chest so hard/the butt so deep in the water. Obviously leaning back and pulling don't work whatsoever. But to me as the boat pulls the skier up the main motion isn't a pivot over the front boot while the boat pulls but more of a riding the ski up out of the water.

Functionally I think most skiers end up doing the same thing, a few frames past there and the hips probably straighten up a bit and from there on out the same.
When you said, "I prefer the handle to be by the knees, with the arms as straight as possible. It looks more like spooning on a couch." I couldn't picture it without being pretty laid out. In the pic, his knees are inside his arms and are closer than his elbows. When the boat takes off he is pulled closer to his knees and then up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwqOLSvU13Q

It starts at about 0:40.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:23 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 95 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Rocker View Post
When you said, "I prefer the handle to be by the knees, with the arms as straight as possible. It looks more like spooning on a couch." I couldn't picture it without being pretty laid out. In the pic, his knees are inside his arms and are closer than his elbows. When the boat takes off he is pulled closer to his knees and then up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwqOLSvU13Q

It starts at about 0:40.
Good video of perfect start position in my book.
But I was surprised at how quickly he popped out of the water, professional skier or not, so I looked up his height and weight and he's a touch over 6 feet and weights 167.

So all I need to do now is lose 28 pounds and I can pop out of the water like he does.

If your a heavier skier you can still get up but your going to have to drag more. I probably drag in the crouch for 3 or more seconds before I start to get out of the water.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:48 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
I learned on two, then proceeded to come up on two and drop for years (7 or 8) as no one that I knew had a boat with enough power to pull me out from a deep water position. We started losing our drop skis and I got tired of buying used combo pairs every week or two. I was a big guy (6'3" 250#) trying to come up behind a 115hp outboard, no worky! I upgraded to a 140hp I/O and it was still a struggle where I would have to pull up 2-3 coils of rope, yell hit it and the boat would take off as I pitched the coils into the air and take a huge deep breath and hang on as I knew the next 30+ seconds there would be no air available due to my drag on the boat while the boat was trying to get on plane to gain any speed. So I was really trying to come up on one ski for quite some time but I finally got it (continual sinus infection the entire ski season due to the amount of water I would take on during that period of submarining for boat to plane)... then I moved to our '83 S&S PS and could pop up in nothing flat, no more drowning myself ...

Although my deep water technique sounds very similar to what others have described ... ski tip out of the water (first key point), knees bent to have tail of ski as close to butt as possible, arms around the outside of knees handle out in front using grip like holding a baseball bat ... I ski left foot forward both feet in ... here is when my difference comes into play ... I would put the rope on the left side of my ski (left forward remember) and slightly angle the tip of the ski towards the right which allowed the left side of the ski to rest against the rope as the rope got tight, then as the boat accelerates the tension of the ski on the rope kept it from washing out until I started coming up but was fast enough that the ski was stable by the time the rope cleared the ski. That’s the only thing that worked for me (but remember I was in that tucked position virtually underwater for quite a ways in the beginning).

As for the pull of the boat, it can be slightly different for each skier based on height, weight, hand strength, form, etc. along with the boat’s performance. But typically, once the skier is set and seems stable, I will bump forward to tension the rope, continue bumping to slightly drag the skier so they can settle in with constant tension, they yell “hit it” (or yeah, go, now, whatever), I make a smooth motion on the throttle while watching them from idle to about half plus throttle in about a second to two to give a good solid pull (not ripping the handle out but not dragging them excessively) and adjust as the speed increases based on their form that I see in my mirror up to whatever speed we discussed. They can then adjust up or down with what’s comfortable to them.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:57 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, Star and Stripes, 1981, 351
Thanks guys I can't wait to try this over the weekend. I'm hoping to get on the water Sunday. Daughter 2nd birthday party Saturday.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:18 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft 40th Anniversary X-star
I find the baseball grib on the handle is key to help square up my body and pull through the arms upon start

2008 Touareg V8 Galapagos Metallic, Sienna leather, Execline, Technology pkg, Sports pkg,Class III hitch.

2012 Volkswagen GTI 5dr DSG, Carbon Grey Metallic w/ Leather/Luxury, Technology and 18" Serron Pkg's. H&R springs, Unitronic Stage 2 Chip, Ultimate racing 3" downpipe w/200 cell metal cat, xenondepot 3k HID Fog lights.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:31 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1992 MC 205 ProStar 351
My wife and I have been skiing with another couple for over 20 years. The wives only ski during our summer vacation in Eastern Washington, so we end up having to re-teach them the deep water start each year. To remind them to stay in a knees-bent position, I once quoted Chevy Chase from the "Caddyshack" movie: "be the ball". I don't why this helps, but it's our annual joke.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:54 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1990 prostar 190
I totally agree with the right size ski for your weight. I been skiing since I was about 10 yrs old and am now 40. When I was 16 my parents bought me 66" Connelly concept. Which then I weighed about 160-165 lbs and the older I got the harder it got for me to get up. I thought it was just my weight gain and age. Last year I broke down and bought a new 69" Radar Senate. Man!! It felt like I was 16 again. I can pop right up now like I used too, it was a lot less strain on my arms and legs which made it where I wasn't so wore out when I did get up. Then I could also ski a lot longer too.
My point with that is, if I was trying to learn right now on my old ski I don't think I would ever get up, but since I had skied for so many years I knew how to fight it and finally get up.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:53 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 99 Sportstar
A big thanks to everyone's suggestions. Went out yesterday morning with the wife and daughter and managed to get up one one ski on the 3rd try. For me head up with the ski to my butt were the keys I was missing Thursday. Hoping to go out this morning before the lake gets too crazy and repeat it. Overall not a bad progression for starting to ski only a week ago.