Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-02-2014, 08:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweaver View Post
I bought one of these trainer ropes and a pair of the MasterLine Pro-Lock gloves and I popped right up.
G
I too am facing the same issue. I have a kid ready for water starts but she can't seem to get it. How do these ropes work? Do they slip over the front of the ski and then somehow detach once the kid is up? I'm not understanding the mechanics of this.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:22 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ORidr View Post
I too am facing the same issue. I have a kid ready for water starts but she can't seem to get it. How do these ropes work? Do they slip over the front of the ski and then somehow detach once the kid is up? I'm not understanding the mechanics of this.
rope keeps the ski from flopping left right -
Old 07-02-2014, 09:30 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 95 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ORidr View Post
It's built like a regular handle but the rope triangle is extra long so you can stick the tip of the ski right in the middle of it. Allows the ski to be straight up and down and also can catch the ski a bit if it's drifting to one side. The loop is bit enough that the ski will slide out of the triangle as you get up. Back when I was learning to slalom we had double handle ropes that worked the same way.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:52 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 190 with LT1
Back foot to butt
Arms around the outside of your legs...handle in front of shins
Get enough tip out of the water so that the toes on your front foot are just under the water's surface

Driver does NOT hammer the throttle...easy progressive throttle up
Old 07-02-2014, 02:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
Starting on one ski

I'll apologize in advance because I'm going to offer some contrary advice. I tried using an easy up or bridle rope and it just didn't work for me at all--maybe I was expecting it to be "too easy" with that device. At any rate, I felt it was actually making it harder and "in the way".

What worked for me was to make sure the ski was angled slightly away from the boat (like 11 or 1 o'clock position instead of straight up. Then as the boat begins to pull, really focus on keeping the ski pointed in that direction. Fully agree with arms straight and knees pulled up to your chest as far as possible--and hold that position as long as possible, but allow yourself to "roll forward" onto the front of the ski as you feel it start flatten out and then stand up. FWIW, I'm a new skier too. . only my second season. I have used the same technique to help my 15 year old daughter learn to get up this year, and it's working for her too.

My last "hint" is that once you get up, you'll gain confidence, but might also find that you struggle on the very next try (or outing). This has been both mine and my daughter's experience. It does take a few "up and down" days before you develop the muscle memory to stop thinking about it. . . but it'll happen!

Last edited by Kweisner; 07-02-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:00 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
It has already been said, but:

"Butt on heel, chin on knee"
"Arms straight"
"Hang on with your hands, don't pull back. The boat is stronger than you are"

When they have a bad try, I like to deflect the blame a little. "I'm sorry, I pulled too hard/soft that time. I'll do better this time" I think it helps them not get discouraged.

It is important that they don't start fighting the boat. "When I pull, don't pull back, just hang on and go with us."

It can be frustrating for everyone, but in the end it is worth it. This was my daughters first success last summer:

This year she tries to run me out of gas every time she skis (30 minutes at a time).
Old 07-02-2014, 05:14 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1992 MC 205 ProStar 351
One thing I'll add is that the ski is like an airplane wing -- it has to be in the right position to develop enough lift to get you out of the water. The ski should be at a 45 degree angle from vertical. Try to keep your weight over the forward binding of the ski. The back foot is just along for the ride whether you have in in or out of the rear binding -- don't push with your back foot at all.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:13 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
One thing I don't ever teach is the chin to knee thing.

Its a weak position to resist the boat, and encourages the skin to win against you.

I prefer the handle to be by the knees, with the arms as straight as possible. It looks more like spooning on a couch.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:26 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 PS190 View Post
One thing I don't ever teach is the chin to knee thing.

Its a weak position to resist the boat, and encourages the skin to win against you.

I prefer the handle to be by the knees, with the arms as straight as possible. It looks more like spooning on a couch.
That is a very different technique than the one I use. I preach not resisting the boat. I want their shoulders coming forward with the pull where their chest is vertical. Usually they come up without getting their hair wet. I like this position:
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2014, 10:40 PM
MC Devotee

There are plenty of ways to deepwater start on a slalom ski though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0xF2HfzOic#t=68