Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 06-30-2014, 09:37 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 97 Prostar 205, 350 TBI
205 wrong platform bracket

So I had posted earlier that the platform bracket on the transom was missing to bottom two bolts and it looked like they had never even been drilled into the transom. After some further investigation it looks like someone put on a different bracket with different bottom holes. They are slightly further down then the original. I can see that the original holes are still there though.

I searched around and could really figure out how these are bolted on. So I pulled out one of the bolts and it looks like it's just a machine screw? Did these bolt through to a backing plate? It seems like it was just screwed directly into the glass? I'm thinking I could just drill holes in the bracket in the correct places and use the old holes for the bottom assuming they aren't striped out? Or would it be better to drill new holes in the transom and use more of a lag bolt? What do y'all think? I'm assuming the pictures are gigantic sorry about that!

Original

Missing

Close up
Old 06-30-2014, 10:13 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Does the one you backed out thread into a different hole?
Old 06-30-2014, 11:06 PM
TT Newbie

Don't know... There isn't a hole in the transom where the screws are missing. I guess I need to remove the whole thing to see what I've got going on. I was just worried that it was through bolted but I don't think that's the case after looking through some of the older threads.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:26 AM
TT Newbie

Based on this 205v Thread, which I'm assuming is the same as what I've got, it looks like I should be able to grab a couple new bolts, drill the bracket and just use the old holes so thats the plan for now.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:30 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
I would drill new holes in the bracket before I would drill new holes in the boat.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:23 PM
TT Newbie

Just pulled the whole thing off and the bottom holes are definitely messed up. Didn't seem like they ripped out at any point but I can't thread a bolt into them at all. Unfortunately they weren't sealed up either. Sooo I'm going to be messing with holes in the boat no matter what. Anyone know if you can access these without cutting up the floor in a 97 205? Could only find info about earlier models...