Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-08-2004, 06:47 PM
donriner

Unhappy 98 SportStar 19 dies after warmup

Hello All,

We were out skiing last weekend (400th hour) when all of the sudden the engine began to run very rough, then died. After restarting we now have trouble maintaining idle, then she wouldn't start at all.

After finding the distributor cap and rotor contacts quite corroded and replacing both, nothing is better. Starts cold and runs fast idle just fine. After warming then dies immediately, or runs rough and dies. There is plenty of fuel coming from injectors into throttle-body. Also replaced the module under the distributor cap. The fuel is fresh and filters not clogged.

This is a 1998 5.0L MC Vortec MX Plus engine (I think only engine available in SportStar). First trouble I've had with this boat at all.

I'm thinking perhaps its the ignition coil that gets warm and develops an internal short? Ideas please?

don riner
drr@donriner.com
Old 09-08-2004, 07:18 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 82 Stars and Stripes
Does this model have a standard ignition? If so, sounds a lot like a bad condensor. My '82 does the pretty much the exact same thing when the condensor dies.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:22 PM
MC Master Poster

Jeff- it's a '98 5.0L TBI motor, HEI distributor.

Check the plugs on the sensors, just for grins. Does it start better if you open the throttle a bit? If it does, your IAC may be sticking a bit when it follows the throttle when you bring it down to idle. Also, check for a PCV valve on one valve cover, with a black hose going to the intake manifold. Just like on a car, if this is dirty and clogged, it won't run right.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:49 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 82 Stars and Stripes
ah well..that's what I get for keeping a 24 year old boat.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:25 PM
MC Master Poster

Nothing wrong with having a 22 year old boat. It just requires slightly different maintenance. Still a great boat.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:37 PM
donriner

What's an IAC ?

drr
Old 09-08-2004, 08:51 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Idle Air Control.Located on the side of the throttle body.It's basiccally an adjustable bypass for air depending if the engine is hot or cold.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:59 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
A little off topic, but I believe you could get a 5.7 L on a sportstar as an option. Okay, continue the technical discussion.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.