Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 06-27-2014, 11:40 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 190 with LT1 Black Hull
I was going to have the interior done at Viper this year but the money got tied up in the engine rebuild. The interior will have to wait till next year! So after the third rear main seal was installed i fired it up and ran the boat for 20 minutes. I noticed some noise coming from the back of the engine/transmission tracked it down to what sounded like it was coming from the transmission or flywheel. Shut the boat down and pulled the starter for inspection. It looked like the starter was not disengaging so I had the starter rebuilt and pulled the transmission for inspection. At this point I can have the transmission out of my boat in about 30 minutes by myself. I inspected the Damper plate and the springs were loose. After some research on this forum I figured I needed a new Damper plate. While the trans was out I pulled the flywheel to inspect the rear main seal for leaks…sure enough still leaking. At this point I called my dad retired ASE certified for 35 years asking for advice. My dad was automotive instructor at a career center for over 30 years. So the teacher in him only will tell me how to do something and the methods and reasons behind it. So when it was why is the 3rd rear main seal leaking I could only think of one reason when they polished the crank it is not allowing for a tight seal on the rear main… My dad didn’t think the crank being polished would affect the rear main. After talking with my dad for a while I decided to buy a rear main sleeve and another rear main seal. I got it back together Wednesday night and boom no more rear main seal leak! But I did find one of my transmission cooler lines cracked so this morning I had new lines made! Might still be able to make a test pass at Alum Creek this weekend!
Old 06-27-2014, 12:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorth09 View Post
Got my new water pump in (LT-1 pump off of a corvette) They have one extra line off the pump that you can cap off.
You can move your heater hose to that line and do away with the plumbing on top of the mixer thermostat housing. You would need to add an inline valve for shutoff, but you will get better heat and have a cleaner looking engine.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:18 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Rocker View Post
You can move your heater hose to that line and do away with the plumbing on top of the mixer thermostat housing. You would need to add an inline valve for shutoff, but you will get better heat and have a cleaner looking engine.
Sounds like good plan. I had read on hear about another way to do it. But with the additional line already on the pump that will be easier! I cut the outlet back closer to the pump but still have room so swap it over Im all about a cleaner engine!
Old 06-27-2014, 12:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 96 ProStar 190 LT1
You mentioned that you replaced hoses. Where did you find the 3 molded hoses?

Thanks.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:50 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs96ps View Post
You mentioned that you replaced hoses. Where did you find the 3 molded hoses?

Thanks.
I replaced all but the molded ones. I am still looking for the molded lines. Im sure with enough time and someone helpful at Napa you could find something to work. The two top molded ones on mine look to have been replaced. Between Napa and Skidim i replaced the rest. I was going to see if i could find someone local to make the hoses if not.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:31 AM
TT Newbie

Took the boat out yesterday for a test run after a long day Saturday finishing up putting the interior in. Looks like it might be time to rebuild the transmission. I changed the transmission fluid (I knew the risk) and figured if it worked good, if not i will learn to rebuild a velvet drive. It worked great last year but as always changing transmission fluid on older transmission is always a risk.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:38 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1991 Mastercraft Pro Star 190
When i bought my 190 the trans fluid looked like mud and looked like it had never been changed. Changed it about 4 times running it in-between to circulate the fluid and it finally was red again. Changed it one last time and added half a quart of lucas trans stop leak, the thick addictive, and it smoother then ever, no shuddering, engages smoother etc. Might try another change and some lucas before pulling it apart.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:19 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton_H View Post
When i bought my 190 the trans fluid looked like mud and looked like it had never been changed. Changed it about 4 times running it in-between to circulate the fluid and it finally was red again. Changed it one last time and added half a quart of lucas trans stop leak, the thick addictive, and it smoother then ever, no shuddering, engages smoother etc. Might try another change and some lucas before pulling it apart.
Mine was relatively clean just changed it while i had the trans out. I am going to the shop tonight to look at it and probably add lucas to see if that will fix it. I want to take the boat out on the 4th. But i have plans for a rebuild, ebasic has everything including the pump and all new snap rings for around $550. I know some guys dont replace the pump but if its out again im going to do it all. No plans to sell the boat so just peace of mind.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:07 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1991 Mastercraft Pro Star 190
No doubt, hopefully the lucas will at least get you through the season!
Old 07-02-2014, 10:03 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton_H View Post
No doubt, hopefully the lucas will at least get you through the season!
Exactly! I am going to take it out tonight after putting the lucas in and hope for the best. I have a houseboat already reserved for Cumberland next month! My boat will be there