Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 06-25-2014, 10:37 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Medallion has been making junk for the marine industry for years. You're lucky your gauges worked on your 03. Take a look at the posts on this site about gauges not working. These are all Medallion system design failures.

Grounding with the digital systems is paramount. Checking all the connections from the engine block to the battery, then from the battery to the ground bus under the dash would be a good starting point to ensure this isn't the source of your problems. One sign of a poor installation is more than two connections to the battery posts. With the exception of possibly the bilge pump wired to the battery to ensure power all the time and a ground cable tying battery ground together, all connections should be made through terminal blocks and bus bars.

One of the first things I do with my "new to me" boats is to go through the electrical installation at the battery and work my way out from there. This is the link of the thread I started after buying my 07 X2 and discovering the mess I had with the wiring.....

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=29889

Not sure how much of this was done by the PO but what I got was sure to be trouble. I upgraded all the core power wiring and haven't had an issue since. If you have anything that looks remotely like mine did an upgrade to the wiring certainly wouldn't be a bad start.

don't know if this will help your situation but it may help eliminate one possible source. The summer is short so I wish you the best of luck getting through this.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:47 AM

Boat: 06 X30
I'm not sure where the ground buss is at the helm in a 14 but Tuner suggest its under the dash. On my 30 it is behind the front starboard seat.

I'd agree with Turner that you need to check all the grounds, battery, engine, buss bar(and anything connected to it). I'd also check the connections on the back of your display and to the MMDC box. Likewise, check for broken wires or wires that are skinned(see the bare metal) and cracks.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:52 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 PS205, then a 2002 X9, and now a 2012 X14V
I found the main ground bar, and you can move it by hand but it does not appear to lose contact. I will tighten all grounds, and reflash the system to see where this gets me. If this doesn't help, then perhaps I replace the screen. The good news is that you don't actually NEED the touch screen to do anything on this boat because I have manual switches for everything else, including the stereo and ballast. The one exception for me is Perfect Pass, which can only be operated from the touch screen.

Either way, it's quite frustrating, and from what I've read on http://themalibucrew.com, this is not isolated to MasterCraft. Their site shows 116 reported issues with these components between Jan 2012 and today. Hopefully there is a resolution somewhere.

Thanks again for the help and guidance from this forum. My dealer and I have both appreciated the valuable knowledge that we receive from this group!

"KC"

Cmon...lemme just push one button...
- Red X14V on Center Hill & Old Hickory lakes in TN -
Old 06-25-2014, 11:59 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Medallion has been making junk for the marine industry for years. You're lucky your gauges worked on your 03. Take a look at the posts on this site about gauges not working. These are all Medallion system design failures.

Grounding with the digital systems is paramount. Checking all the connections from the engine block to the battery, then from the battery to the ground bus under the dash would be a good starting point to ensure this isn't the source of your problems. One sign of a poor installation is more than two connections to the battery posts. With the exception of possibly the bilge pump wired to the battery to ensure power all the time and a ground cable tying battery ground together, all connections should be made through terminal blocks and bus bars.

One of the first things I do with my "new to me" boats is to go through the electrical installation at the battery and work my way out from there. This is the link of the thread I started after buying my 07 X2 and discovering the mess I had with the wiring.....

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=29889

Not sure how much of this was done by the PO but what I got was sure to be trouble. I upgraded all the core power wiring and haven't had an issue since. If you have anything that looks remotely like mine did an upgrade to the wiring certainly wouldn't be a bad start.

don't know if this will help your situation but it may help eliminate one possible source. The summer is short so I wish you the best of luck getting through this.
This is all great information. Many thanks once again. I only have two connections to the battery, but I have not checked the ground from the block to the bus and battery. I will do this today. Excellent advice.

"KC"

Old 06-25-2014, 01:28 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
The medallion screens in the 09 malibus were a DISASTER. Makes the 2012s seem flawless lol
Old 06-25-2014, 06:31 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 12 X-25 its ok old X-10 the best
I will let u know the what the cost should have been. The dealer I bought from have me a 2 year warranty with buying the boat. So I'm lucky there. Boat town had quoted 3200, but jeff at tmc laughed and said ya but that's them and we know what they do to there customers
Old 06-25-2014, 06:32 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 12 X-25 its ok old X-10 the best
Can u not control your PP from vdig? I pulled the fuse to my screen and was able to operate everything through there
Old 06-28-2014, 12:42 PM
MC Fanatic

Still in the shop!! Mine has been flashed to .54, all grounds verified, no transom remote, no dual batteries, not running it in dual battery mode, and no luck getting on the water for a four time MasterCraft owner. To make matters worse, the engine is also overheating at low RPM and my dealer doesn't know how to resolve either of these issues. They are getting MC and Ilmor involved on the two respective issues, but meanwhile I'm making payments while my kids and I watch summer slip away.

Very disappointed. I mean, this is simple. Overheating is either water pump, circulator pump, leaks, air draw, thermostat, or coolant on closed systems, right? And as someone who has worked in IT for 20 years and is an electrical engineer, the computer problems are either hardware, software, firmware, unclean power, or floating grounds, right? I don't see why it takes so long to fix.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just very disappointed in the overall quality and customer care that 70K buys these days. My X9 with the Indmar 5.7 never saw a shop, and neither did my 205...but this is nuts. I sure wish I was on the water. I feel like I spent 3X to stay on land.

"KC"

Old 06-28-2014, 12:51 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Man we had this discussion not long after I joined TT. Electronics and water - "Keep it Simple" - Hi tech in the boat that sits outside moist under a cover... Sorry to read about this Foggy.. especially after what you spent... and this last winter.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:44 PM
MC Fanatic

I agree, Mike. I never would have bought this if the computer was required to run the boat. I still love the X14, but I do feel like MC quality has degraded over the years now that I have repaired the tower, 12v outlets, strainer, touch screen, captain's seat guides, and upside down mounted ballast pumps on a two year old "top of the line" product. Seems a little hard to swallow.

Sent from my RM-893_nam_att_206 using Tapatalk

"KC"