Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 06-24-2014, 05:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
I really like the floor plan layout!!! It's very similar to a home I designed about 15 years ago only a side entry 3 car (oversized) garage with 3rd stall having 9' tall door (for boat).

Somethings to consider: having one of the Master suite sink countertop height elevated (maybe both depending on your/wife's height). Kitchen sink/countertop height elevated (saves on the back when doing dishes). I also had them modify the bathroom cabinets to remove the blank panel at the top but move the doors up to where that panel top would be and add a drawer at the bottom (using the blank panel for drawer front and standard cabinet doors) to give you added drawer storage space with minimal cost. I am 6'3" and my wife is 5'5" and she would love the kitchen sink to be 4-6 inches taller even at her height. Just some thoughts ...
Old 06-24-2014, 06:02 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '08 X14 sold, 1993 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
love the thread .. best of luck and looking forward to all your pictures ... thanks for sharing

for some other ideas ... we installed taller toilets in our house (I'm 6'3") ... love having a higher thrown. We used elevated cabinets in the bathroom with lights underneath. In the center is a kitchen drawer cabinet and on the sides are bathroom cabinets but elevated .... makes for elegant bathroom

best of luck!
Old 06-24-2014, 07:36 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Best of luck! That's got to be exciting building lakefront!

I've had 2 houses built and you will always learn something it seems. Here's a couple things from my experience.

Garage- go free span, no lolly columns. 10' wide doors, 10' high if possible....at least the boat door. Lots of outlets.
Formal dining room and formal living room are useless (to me anyway)
Gas fireplace that will help heat at least that room is great, even in northern FLA.
200 amp service IN THE GARAGE, not in the basement or below grade. Floods happen.

Make the kitchen and bathrooms exactly the way SHE wants them......you're welcome!

Don't skimp on materials and finish trim......you'll only end up doing things again later. (We did on some things and now after only 15 years we're ready to re-do the kitchen, bathrooms and all the trim)

Have fun!
Old 06-25-2014, 08:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
Just met with the contractor to pick some subs for electric, framing, and a proposal for HVAC.

Weirdly enough, construction in this part of FL is most economical going with wood framing and brick. I moved from Tampa, where block and stucco was popular and cost effective.

I am building on a budget (which I thought was pretty big) so we are making choices to maintain or reduce costs. We are over budget on the foundation as we had it raised close to street level. This was to make it "look" correct and to avoid the sloping driveway and the issues with back a ski boat trailer.

I have the window and door proposals that I am looking at. Need to choose between Jeld Wen or Atrium windows. Vinyl windows and fiberglass doors. In this area, humidity, storms, and availability make this a standard. All windows are "standard/stocking" sizes. All doors are 8' high (inside and out)

Going with blown in insulation (not foam) and a 16 SEER, dual stage HVAC unit. Looking at cost differences upfront and returns on operating costs, it seemed to be the better way to spend money.

We are getting takeoffs on plumbing fixtures. Two local vendors and Home Depot. I like the Delta brand.

We are shopping appliances. Trying to decide on Frigidaire Gallery (had this in the last house and liked everything but the dishwasher), Whirlpool, or Kitchen Aide. We prefer the stainless finish on the Gallery line because it has no smudges and we have a 2 yr old. Kitchen Aide will be over our allotted budget.

Bedrooms will be carpet, everything else will be tile. We want a minimum 18" x 18" and hope we can find a nice tile in 24" x24"
Old 06-25-2014, 08:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydave View Post
Garage- go free span, no lolly columns. 10' wide doors, 10' high if possible....at least the boat door. Lots of outlets.
Formal dining room and formal living room are useless (to me anyway)
Gas fireplace that will help heat at least that room is great, even in northern FLA.
200 amp service IN THE GARAGE, not in the basement or below grade. Floods happen.

Have fun!
-Garage will have no columns. Standard door widths of 8" and 16", both 8' high. Lots of lights and outlets, including a 220V.
-We have a nice dining room set and life a formal dining area. We only have a great room in the plan.
-After living in 7 houses (FL, OK, CA), I have light a fireplace twice. So, we did not put on in the house.
Electric service will be in the garage on the wall. We also will have a generator switch box. I have a diesel generator thanks to hurricane Ivan.

Thanks for the input. I am enjoying it so far. Getting a contractor is working better for me. With a job, a 2 yr old, and not having done a home build before, it is the way to go for us. Plus, we just moved here and don't "know" people in the business.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:44 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
check for local rebates on HVAC & other energy saving type appliances. We just had one of our HVAC units completed replaced and there were some sizeable rebates based on SEER levels. We went with a 15.5 SEER and got a $600 rebate, the 16 SEER was $700 but cost was over $1000 more for install and installer said we would never recoop the difference over the life of the unit with electric savings. worth checking!
Old 06-25-2014, 12:54 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '08 X14 sold, 1993 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
one thing to consider if you are buying all your own plumbing/electric fixtures, cabinets, etc ... look into Direct Buy ... we joined in 2005 when we built our house and it paid for itself at least 5x ... well worth the investment ... if you do you need to plan your shopping as they dont stock stuff it arrives 1-4 weeks ... but massive savings opportunity
Old 06-25-2014, 12:59 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
We also found a designer who gave us her discouts at Build.com as well. Worth checking out, too.

1994 205, LT1
Old 06-25-2014, 01:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Congrats on the new house build, this will be fun to watch. Sorry to hear about the lake draining but look on the bright side, now you can build a really nice dock and boathouse without having to deal with the water, then once it comes back up you will be good to go........just make sure you get your elevations right!!!
Old 07-15-2014, 07:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Slab pour

The past week, we had the rough in plumbing and slab prep. On Thursday they poured the slab and it is coming along nicely. It rained in the afternoon both days after the slab was poured, so that helped.

Appliances, plumbing fixtures, tubs, Hybrid water heater, and those associated items were picked and have been ordered. Lowes is our supplier for most of those items. Their "bid shop" came in the cheapest on the plumbing fixtures. They beat every local plumbing supplier and HD on the same products. Their 4th of July sale had the lowest prices for appliances that the sale people could recall.

We are on budget with plumbing, and well under on appliances. We are terribly over on the foundation.
Now, we are bidding HVAC, flooring, and cabinets/countertops. Meetings everyday it seems.
Attached Images