Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 07-07-2014, 12:44 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Stars & Stripes Power Slot 1984 351 Ford ; Previous 1979 MC, & 1993 MC S&S
Modifying a Correct Craft Trailer for our MC

In an earlier post I was looking to purchase a MC trailer for our 1984 MC. The boat came to us on a Correct Craft trailer. It did not take long to come to the conclusion that finding and purchasing a used MC trailer was not likely. So I just completed a project to modify the CC trailer to accommodate our MC. Just in case anyone else faces this situation here is what I did. First, the bunks were too flat and did not cradle the hull as they should. So I made four tapered wedges out of 2x4's approx 4' long. Then unbolted the existing bunks and slid the wedges beneath the bunks fore and aft and bolted them down. This created a curve that nicely fits the curve of the MC hull. Then, thanks to a picture from Cloaked and others I could see that the trailer needed a V bunk to support the bow of the boat. I made one out of 4x4 box steel (1/8" wall) and installed it today while the boat was in the water. It worked out great and we now have a trailer worthy of this fine old boat.
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2014, 03:07 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, Star and Stripes, 1981, 351
I have the same problem, could you send me some more pics or even some measurements of the steel you made?

Thanks
Old 07-07-2014, 05:21 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Stars & Stripes Power Slot 1984 351 Ford ; Previous 1979 MC, & 1993 MC S&S
Modifying Correct Craft Trailer

Mods to the two bunks. I started with 4 wood 2x4's that are each 3 feet in length. I set them on the 2 inch side and cut them diagonally with a table saw. So I ended up with 4 wedges that are 4 inches wide and go from 0 at one end to 2 inches tall at the other end. These wedges were installed under the original bunks forcing them to take on a curved shape. I then carpeted over the modified bunks. At the front end of each bunk I bolted a piece of angle aluminum to the bunk and to the trailer rail. (See photo)

I am attaching the specs for the v bunk. Note that it is not welded to my trailer because my trailer is galvanized and I do not have the mask/filtering system for welding galvanized. So I designed it to bolt in place. If you have questions send me an email at dcstreetrods@sbcglobal.net Glad to answer any questions you may have.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Vee bunk design.pdf (251.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 07-07-2014, 05:31 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Now you just need to paint it, and it'll look great!

Nice work!
Old 07-07-2014, 09:17 PM
TT Newbie

You're right it does look kind of funky in the pictures but I don't think you can paint galvanized metal.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1986 Mastercraft Slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstreetrods View Post
You're right it does look kind of funky in the pictures but I don't think you can paint galvanized metal.
Sure you can. Etch it with a mild acid first. I used white vinegar on an old fence post and the paint has been on for 10+ years.