Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 01-18-2011, 02:59 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Just can't let the Favre thing go, huh? I guess if I lived and breathed football in the name of Favre like everyone in the land of cheese did for so long, I would feel betrayed too if he went and played for another team or two. Kind of like losing a childhood friend I suppose.
What other Viking player made $16M and didn't perform well? Bringing Favre back cost Childress his job, too. Obviously, if they had won the division and gotten into the playoffs, everything would be different.

You keep harping that it's all about Favre with us but it's not. I just used him as an example and Rodgers just broke several team records. Remember, it was Lombardi who was called 'Saint', not Favre. Favre has all of the individual player records but if he had taken the Packers to the Super Bowl more, won more playoff games and had less negative stat records, his legacy would have been even more amazing.

Betrayed? Nah. Fun to watch and root for? Absolutely. Did he wear out his welcome? I think so.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:07 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
What other Viking player made $16M and didn't perform well? Bringing Favre back cost Childress his job, too. Obviously, if they had won the division and gotten into the playoffs, everything would be different.

You keep harping that it's all about Favre with us but it's not. I just used him as an example and Rodgers just broke several team records. Remember, it was Lombardi who was called 'Saint', not Favre. Favre has all of the individual player records but if he had taken the Packers to the Super Bowl more, won more playoff games and had less negative stat records, his legacy would have been even more amazing.

Betrayed? Nah. Fun to watch and root for? Absolutely. Did he wear out his welcome? I think so.
Dang...........getting all serious on me is taking the fun out of it.

The Vikings have had plenty of coaching problems over the years mostly resulting from not having a general manager and having the coach over extended, and in most cases, especially recently, way short on talent. What a shame since the team has been full of talent including many repeat Pro-Bowlers.

I like how you point out how well the Packers are doing with a team made up primarily of people no one has ever heard of before. Goes to show what a great coaching staff and a hot QB can do.

Do remember that the roles of the Vikings and GB, as recently as last year, were reversed.

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Old 01-18-2011, 09:08 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Dang...........getting all serious on me is taking the fun out of it.

The Vikings have had plenty of coaching problems over the years mostly resulting from not having a general manager and having the coach over extended, and in most cases, especially recently, way short on talent. What a shame since the team has been full of talent including many repeat Pro-Bowlers.

I like how you point out how well the Packers are doing with a team made up primarily of people no one has ever heard of before. Goes to show what a great coaching staff and a hot QB can do.

Do remember that the roles of the Vikings and GB, as recently as last year, were reversed.
I think we can agree that owners/management who want all of the power cause problems for teams when the fans just want to see them win. When there's a power struggle between the coach and owners/GM, I don't know how it can go well. You guys definitely had a lot of talent that wasn't used to its fullest potential. McCarthy and Dom Capers definitely pulled this season out of the fire. I really hope Capers decides to stay.

Last edited by JimN; 01-18-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:29 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
I think we can agree that owners/management who want all of the power cause problems for teams when the fans just want to see them win. When there's a power struggle between the coach and owners/GM, I don't know how it can go well. You guys definitely had a lot of talent that wasn't used to its fullest potential. McCarthy and Dom Capers definitely pulled this season out of the fire. I really hope Capers decides to stay.
Agreed. Can you imagine the team GB could have if they were willing to spend a few bucks on players?

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:39 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Agreed. Can you imagine the team GB could have if they were willing to spend a few bucks on players?
If they did this well with no-name players, is it really mandatory that they spend the extra money? So many teams have huge payroll and still can't make it into the playoffs, although the coaching staff is paramount. Bad coaching with great players amounts to the inmates running the asylum.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:20 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
If they did this well with no-name players, is it really mandatory that they spend the extra money? So many teams have huge payroll and still can't make it into the playoffs, although the coaching staff is paramount. Bad coaching with great players amounts to the inmates running the asylum.
Clearly not mandatory, but lets revisit that question Sunday evening.

SPECIAL PRICE

Old 01-19-2011, 01:51 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190 Anniversary, LT1
Quote:
This can be seen by observing the Washing Redskins. That team spends more money on huge name players that NEVER end up producing anything.

"The truth is treason in the 'empire of lies'" - Ron Paul
Old 01-20-2011, 02:28 PM
MC Addict

Boat: nothing worth mentioning...
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain planet View Post
This can be seen by observing the Washing Redskins. That team spends more money on huge name players that NEVER end up producing anything.
I've been a lifelong observer and fan (yes, still ) of the Washington Redskins. The problem hasn't been bad coaching and great players. It's been spending money on a few expensive players and ignoring needs at more critical positions, like the FRUCKING OFFENSIVE LINE!

The Redskins have had some pretty decent - but not great - coaches during that time: Norv Turner, Marty Schottenheimer, Joe Gibbs (part 2), and now Mke Shanahan.

Former boats:
2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
1990 Prostar 190
Old 01-20-2011, 03:16 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd View Post
I've been a lifelong observer and fan (yes, still ) of the Washington Redskins. The problem hasn't been bad coaching and great players. It's been spending money on a few expensive players and ignoring needs at more critical positions, like the FRUCKING OFFENSIVE LINE!

The Redskins have had some pretty decent - but not great - coaches during that time: Norv Turner, Marty Schottenheimer, Joe Gibbs (part 2), and now Mke Shanahan.
And when it comes to team owners, "You can't fix stupid".
Old 01-20-2011, 03:35 PM
MC Addict

Boat: nothing worth mentioning...
Quote:
And when it comes to team owners, "You can't fix stupid".
Can't fire them either.

Former boats:
2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
1990 Prostar 190