Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1021  
Old 12-08-2010, 11:24 AM
JimN's Avatar
JimN JimN is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
The transition truly amazes me from how Favre was the savior of the Packers by being the one to release them from the 29 year rebuilding program and pretty much could have run for Pope is the decision was based on WI, to he is the dregs of society who never really played all that well and we are glad he is gone. Seems to be a lot of really hard feelings that all the Pepto-Bismal in the world won't resolve. The funny thing is Vikings have not felt any of the heart-wrenching pain the Packers felt during the will Farvre play or retire days.

There is an "I" in team...........Business. NFL teams are a business first, though they are usually owned by someone who is so loaded they view it as an amusement. When that happens there is no guessing what will happen. Ziggy Wilf, owner of the Vikings, is a great example. He is a big fantasy football guy. Everything is statistics to him, and that is probably his thoughts behind having Favre in MN. But stats don't necessarily make a winning team
Even a hot babe can be seen as a POS if she pulls enough crap over a long enough time. Let's see what he did-

Good things:
He threw a lot of TD passes. He was generally unable to think that they could lose- a valuable characteristic when the other team is winning. He took them to the Super Bowl twice.

Bad things:
He often threw passes to his receivers that should have gone OB. These are called INTERCEPTIONS and he's leading the league in this category again. He fumbled quite often. His enthusiasm kept him from thinking logically. He played hurt and decided that taking a load of Vicodin and a few beers was a good idea. He didn't necessarily tell the trainers how much pain he was in and played, anyway. These cost the Packers and now, the Vikings, a lot of games.

His passing skills are impressive and he still has a great arm (provided his shoulder injury doesn't cause permanent harm) but by not throwing the ball away, he lost playoff games and one Super Bowl. Holmgren was asked if Favre has ulcers and coach replied, "No, but he is a carrier".

It was a good run but over 20 years, it was incredibly aggravating. The Vikes have only had him for a couple and the bad things he did got very, very old. Exciting? Absolutely. Come from behind victories? Many. Games that seemed to be in the bag and lost in the final seconds, dam skippy.

For all of the comments that the Vikes owner is a big stats guy, having Farve on the roster is a dichotomy. If Favre always threw the ball OB when there was a good chance that it could be picked off and if he always did the right thing, he'd be seen as a good risk. Wilf is a real estate guy and I think he would have made a different decision re: Favre if he had come from the insurance industry.
Reply With Quote
  #1022  
Old 12-08-2010, 12:12 PM
thatsmrmastercraft's Avatar
thatsmrmastercraft thatsmrmastercraft is online now
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 15,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott023 View Post
Coach Bill Belichick was fined the NFL maximum of $500,000 and the Patriots were ordered to pay $250,000 for spying on an opponent's defensive signals.


Commissioner Roger Goodell also ordered the team to give up its first-round draft choice next year if it reaches the playoffs this season, or its second- and third-round picks if it misses the postseason.
Sounds like a substantial amount until you do the math on a salary of 7.5 million.

http://www.nesn.com/2010/05/bill-bel...s-coaches.html
__________________
Peter

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH


Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Reply With Quote
  #1023  
Old 12-08-2010, 12:19 PM
thatsmrmastercraft's Avatar
thatsmrmastercraft thatsmrmastercraft is online now
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 15,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Even a hot babe can be seen as a POS if she pulls enough crap over a long enough time. Let's see what he did-

Good things:
He threw a lot of TD passes. He was generally unable to think that they could lose- a valuable characteristic when the other team is winning. He took them to the Super Bowl twice.

Bad things:
He often threw passes to his receivers that should have gone OB. These are called INTERCEPTIONS and he's leading the league in this category again. He fumbled quite often. His enthusiasm kept him from thinking logically. He played hurt and decided that taking a load of Vicodin and a few beers was a good idea. He didn't necessarily tell the trainers how much pain he was in and played, anyway. These cost the Packers and now, the Vikings, a lot of games.

His passing skills are impressive and he still has a great arm (provided his shoulder injury doesn't cause permanent harm) but by not throwing the ball away, he lost playoff games and one Super Bowl. Holmgren was asked if Favre has ulcers and coach replied, "No, but he is a carrier".

It was a good run but over 20 years, it was incredibly aggravating. The Vikes have only had him for a couple and the bad things he did got very, very old. Exciting? Absolutely. Come from behind victories? Many. Games that seemed to be in the bag and lost in the final seconds, dam skippy.

For all of the comments that the Vikes owner is a big stats guy, having Farve on the roster is a dichotomy. If Favre always threw the ball OB when there was a good chance that it could be picked off and if he always did the right thing, he'd be seen as a good risk. Wilf is a real estate guy and I think he would have made a different decision re: Favre if he had come from the insurance industry.
Now I smell what you're stepping in. Wilf got into the NFL for three reasons. 1. He has lots of $$. 2. He is a big fantasy football guy. 3. He thought he could get MN to build him a stadium in the middle of nowhere so he could build Ziggy-world around it an make a pile of dough.

Had Favre retired at the end of last year he would have made the right choice, but who would have expected the Vikings to go into the tank the way they did?

And as a QB, he does hold most of the QB records, including interceptions.
__________________
Peter

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH


Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Reply With Quote
  #1024  
Old 12-08-2010, 12:31 PM
JimN's Avatar
JimN JimN is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Now I smell what you're stepping in. Wilf got into the NFL for three reasons. 1. He has lots of $$. 2. He is a big fantasy football guy. 3. He thought he could get MN to build him a stadium in the middle of nowhere so he could build Ziggy-world around it an make a pile of dough.

Had Favre retired at the end of last year he would have made the right choice, but who would have expected the Vikings to go into the tank the way they did?

And as a QB, he does hold most of the QB records, including interceptions.
The amount of uncertainty about if he's in or out would make me tell him that he needed to make a decision before the end of last year. If Wilf has plans like ZIggy-World, he needs less gamble and more sure-thing, which isn't exactly a good description of Favre.

Playing/starting more games will usually get someone a lot of records, for good and bad. I'd like to see a stat for blown games, like the blown saves category they check for pitchers in MLB. He'd own that one, too. I guess he doesn't want the Oldest Starting QB stat, though. Well, maybe he does. On second thought, probably not. But there's still a chance....
Reply With Quote
  #1025  
Old 12-08-2010, 12:50 PM
scott023's Avatar
scott023 scott023 is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Location: Canada
Posts: 11,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
The amount of uncertainty about if he's in or out would make me tell him that he needed to make a decision before the end of last year. If Wilf has plans like ZIggy-World, he needs less gamble and more sure-thing, which isn't exactly a good description of Favre.

Playing/starting more games will usually get someone a lot of records, for good and bad. I'd like to see a stat for blown games, like the blown saves category they check for pitchers in MLB. He'd own that one, too. I guess he doesn't want the Oldest Starting QB stat, though. Well, maybe he does. On second thought, probably not. But there's still a chance....
Not exactly accurate. The most games played/started ever by a QB is Fran Tarkenton, and he sure as heck doesn't hold a lot of records. Johnny Unitas had played the most seasons before Favre passed him, and he held or holds few records.

You may not like him (I sure don't), but the guy has had an amazing career. Your own statement can be turned on you easily... he might hold the record for most blown games, but he has started and played the most too, so he is obviosly more likely to blow more games than anyone else too...
Reply With Quote
  #1026  
Old 12-08-2010, 12:54 PM
thatsmrmastercraft's Avatar
thatsmrmastercraft thatsmrmastercraft is online now
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 15,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
The amount of uncertainty about if he's in or out would make me tell him that he needed to make a decision before the end of last year. If Wilf has plans like ZIggy-World, he needs less gamble and more sure-thing, which isn't exactly a good description of Favre.

Playing/starting more games will usually get someone a lot of records, for good and bad. I'd like to see a stat for blown games, like the blown saves category they check for pitchers in MLB. He'd own that one, too. I guess he doesn't want the Oldest Starting QB stat, though. Well, maybe he does. On second thought, probably not. But there's still a chance....
............on the other hand??? Funny, Sears hasn't been running the ad with him waffling about buying a TV.

Do you think your Packers can fare better against the Detroit this time around? Only won by 2 points on the last meeting.
__________________
Peter

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH


Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Reply With Quote
  #1027  
Old 12-08-2010, 01:12 PM
JimN's Avatar
JimN JimN is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott023 View Post
Not exactly accurate. The most games played/started ever by a QB is Fran Tarkenton, and he sure as heck doesn't hold a lot of records. Johnny Unitas had played the most seasons before Favre passed him, and he held or holds few records.

You may not like him (I sure don't), but the guy has had an amazing career. Your own statement can be turned on you easily... he might hold the record for most blown games, but he has started and played the most too, so he is obviosly more likely to blow more games than anyone else too...
What about George Blanda?

We don't need to dissect the record books- I was making a point.

If he had kept his head, Favre's overall record would be a lot better than it is and that would have been truly amazing. More games won, more championships, more completions, more touchdowns, more yards, better completion %, better QB rating, better legacy, less anguish at the end of a year when the title was lost, etc.

Oh, what could have been....
Reply With Quote
  #1028  
Old 12-08-2010, 01:14 PM
JimN's Avatar
JimN JimN is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
............on the other hand??? Funny, Sears hasn't been running the ad with him waffling about buying a TV.

Do you think your Packers can fare better against the Detroit this time around? Only won by 2 points on the last meeting.
I liked those commercials. I wonder if he would have done some Eggo spots for the right amount of money.

I hope so. That's what I meant when I posted about GB playing down to the level of their opponent. They have lost to some of the worst teams in recent NFL history, even when they had winning seasons. Look at how badly they played in MN when BF was here. Couldn't get arrested in the winner's circle and with Rodgers, it's not much of a problem.
Reply With Quote
  #1029  
Old 12-08-2010, 02:15 PM
Skipper
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
............on the other hand??? Funny, Sears hasn't been running the ad with him waffling about buying a TV.

Do you think your Packers can fare better against the Detroit this time around? Only won by 2 points on the last meeting.
A junior varsity high school team could win against Detroit. Therefore a very good quarterback like Farve should be able to handle things. Could be worse, they could have the Arizona Cardinal's QB.
Reply With Quote
  #1030  
Old 12-08-2010, 04:56 PM
JimN's Avatar
JimN JimN is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
A junior varsity high school team could win against Detroit. Therefore a very good quarterback like Farve should be able to handle things. Could be worse, they could have the Arizona Cardinal's QB.
In that case, I hope the Packers don't need to play against a JV team anytime soon.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:06 AM.