Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-22-2014, 02:01 AM
vipermeat vipermeat is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Boat: 1979 Stars and Stripes
Location: South
Posts: 20
1979 S&S Newbee Resto

I really appreciate all who support this site. I have learned a ton reading through it for the past few months.

A buddy is moving to Europe and sold me his 1979 Stars and Stripes. The boat is old school cool but has not been on the water for a few years as his lake is too low to get it off the lift. He is the second owner and got the boat with the house. I have all the docs and everything is original.

The trailer for the boat was last registered in 1988 and was in rough shape. I spent the last 1.5 months getting it into shape. It looks good but I have a big concern. I have a guy that is going to get the boat off the lake on Monday but I do not have anything that shows me how the chains work to lock the boat on the trailer when I get it loaded. I am going off intuition which in my experience is a bad plan. I spent the last few days looking through this site trying to find a pic of how it should look but I am still not confident. If anyone has input for me, I would really appreciate it.

My gameplan at this point is to get the boat running and enjoy it this summer. The full up restoration will start this winter. I have been looking for a project for my sons and I to tackle and this is it. Thank you all for any help you can offer. My limited experience here shows that this is where all the experts are.

Here are a few pictures of where I am.

Meat

Last edited by vipermeat; 06-22-2014 at 03:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-22-2014, 02:50 AM
vipermeat vipermeat is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Boat: 1979 Stars and Stripes
Location: South
Posts: 20
Here is the boat
Attached Images
   
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-22-2014, 02:51 AM
Cloaked Cloaked is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: MasterCraft
Location: Kingston,TN USA
Posts: 4,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipermeat View Post
y but I do not have anything that shows me how the chains work to lock the boat on the trailer when I get it loaded. I am going off to intuition which in my experience is a bad plan. I spent that last few days looking through this site trying to find a pic of how it should look but I am still not confident. If anyone has input for me, I would really appreciate it.
From a 79 model I once owned. That is the way it came from the factory floor [a common hardware store safety chain (wrapped) and a turnbuckle]. Learn how to use the trailer properly for off-load/on-load. There is a particular way with the depth of the trailer for both directions. Too deep is more detrimental to proper ease of off/on. These trailers are made for drive off/on, not winching. Too deep floats the rear of the boat too much, consequently, lowering the bow of the boat and the bow eye which will drag across the bunk for the bow when backing off under power.

.
Attached Images
 
__________________
93 190
.
Don't be a boot licker
.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8



Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-22-2014, 03:14 AM
vipermeat vipermeat is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Boat: 1979 Stars and Stripes
Location: South
Posts: 20
Thanks Cloaked, I read the manual and it suggests 3 inches of the wheel fenders above the water when loading. My buddy winterized the boat 2 years ago and I do not want to try to get it going until I get it off the lake. One of my many problems. I will have to wench it up the first time I put it on the trailer.

On your set up, I do not see the bar that I have coming from the forward bunk board that accepts the bow ring. Was that not standard? I also have a crank mechanism instead of the screw system you showed. It may be aftermarket but the pic surely helps me figure it out. Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-22-2014, 03:18 AM
Cloaked Cloaked is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: MasterCraft
Location: Kingston,TN USA
Posts: 4,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipermeat View Post
Thanks Cloaked, I read the manual and it suggests 3 inches of the wheel fenders above the water when loading. My buddy winterized the boat 2 years ago and I do not want to try to get it going until I get it off the lake. One of my many problems. I will have to wench it up the first time I put it on the trailer.

On your set up, I do not see the bar that I have coming from the forward bunk board that accepts the bow ring. Was that not standard? I also have a crank mechanism instead of the screw system you showed. It may be aftermarket but the pic surely helps me figure it out. Thank you!
Follow the manual on the trailer instructions.

There was no bar in 1979 (thus the safety chain from forward movement in the event of a sudden stop). That is the way they were offered from the factory. No winch for 1979.

Also tie down the rear of the boat. They can / do / and have come off the trailer fairly easily, contrary to popular belief.

Been there


I know where a newer model trailer is located near me for $1000 and is in decent shape. It will fit your 79. Came from a 1986 model with the safety bar. Best feature they ever offered....

.
__________________
93 190
.
Don't be a boot licker
.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8



Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-22-2014, 03:19 AM
vipermeat vipermeat is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Boat: 1979 Stars and Stripes
Location: South
Posts: 20
Here is the only pic I have of the trailer in the shape I found it, and where it is now.
Attached Images
  
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-22-2014, 03:25 AM
Cloaked Cloaked is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: MasterCraft
Location: Kingston,TN USA
Posts: 4,602
Definitely customized to meet someone's preference and not the OEM trailer.... Not necessarily a bad thing. Appears that started out from the OEM. I see one clue that makes me almost 100% sure of that, but it has been customized further.

Here is the trailer I was referring....

.
Attached Images
 
__________________
93 190
.
Don't be a boot licker
.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8



Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-22-2014, 03:32 AM
Cloaked Cloaked is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: MasterCraft
Location: Kingston,TN USA
Posts: 4,602
Here is the entire trailer from 1979

.
Attached Images
 
__________________
93 190
.
Don't be a boot licker
.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8



Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-22-2014, 11:01 AM
vipermeat vipermeat is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Boat: 1979 Stars and Stripes
Location: South
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipermeat View Post
I really appreciate all who support this site. I have learned a ton reading through it for the past few months.

A buddy is moving to Europe and sold me his 1979 Stars and Stripes. The boat is old school cool but has not been on the water for a few years as his lake is too low to get it off the lift. He is the second owner and got the boat with the house. I have all the docs and everything is original.

The trailer for the boat was last registered in 1988 and was in rough shape. I spent the last 1.5 months getting it into shape. It looks good but I have a big concern. I have a guy that is going to get the boat off the lake on Monday but I do not have anything that shows me how the chains work to lock the boat on the trailer when I get it loaded. I am going off intuition which in my experience is a bad plan. I spent the last few days looking through this site trying to find a pic of how it should look but I am still not confident. If anyone has input for me, I would really appreciate it.

My gameplan at this point is to get the boat running and enjoy it this summer. The full up restoration will start this winter. I have been looking for a project for my sons and I to tackle and this is it. Thank you all for any help you can offer. My limited experience here shows that this is where all the experts are.

Here are a few pictures of where I am.

Meat
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1403445522481.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  61.5 KB

Thanks again Cloaked. I guess I will see how it goes and then modify it if I don't like the setup. No worries modifying a previously modified trailer I suppose. I'll post better pics of the boat when I get it home.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-04-2014, 01:04 AM
vipermeat vipermeat is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Boat: 1979 Stars and Stripes
Location: South
Posts: 20
Got the boat in the water today for the first time. I have some problems but she's in pretty good shape. The bilge pump is not working which is my biggest concern right now. There is no sound at all when I throw the switch. I will try a new fuse tomorrow and see if that works. If not I will try to shoot wires to see if there is power. If that doesn't work, I suspect the kids will be hugely disappointed with their independence day.
Attached Images
  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1979. trailer, cloaked

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:59 PM.