Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 11-25-2005, 03:43 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Question for the barefooters

Do you find the spray from the 80's Prostar 190's excessive? Or does it not effect that far forwards?
Old 11-25-2005, 03:49 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 PS190
Do you find the spray from the 80's Prostar 190's excessive? Or does it not effect that far forwards?

I have heard on the board some people talk about this issue. B.I. makes a boom extension that should help solve the problem.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:05 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 Prostar 190 PowerSlot, 2004 22' Bennington Pontoon 90 HP Mercury 4-stroke
I have an 87 Prostar 190 and did not find the spray to be too bad when I was on the boom. I personally didn't spend a lot of time on the boom other than to learn tumbleturns and many failed attempts at trying to get up in a backwards deepwater. I had a lot of problems with the latter but can't attribute any of them it to the spray.

Also have taught a lot of barefooters (and regular skiers) on the boom since then and don't think the spray is an issue.

My boom is from barefoot international and has a bend in it between the pylon and the gunwale to accommodate the winshield extension (or whatever you call it). I do not use an boom extender.

My $0.02
Lance
Old 11-26-2005, 08:24 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
The spray can be an issue, however there are 2 fairly easy fixes. One, you can add the 18 inch extension from BI and you'll get further away from the boat and spray. BI sells them for around $75-$80 I think, but I have a spare one (long story), that I'll sell you for a lot less if you are interested (PM me if you want more detail.
The second thing you can do is to add weight to the side of your boat, opposite the side the boom is going out. (I got this one direct from Mike Seipel.) Typically, I use a fat sac and what it does is brings the boom side of the boat further out of the water, exposing the chines and letting the spray come off the bottom of the boat well behind the footer.
Hope this helps.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:27 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance
I have an 87 Prostar 190 and did not find the spray to be too bad when I was on the boom. I personally didn't spend a lot of time on the boom other than to learn tumbleturns and many failed attempts at trying to get up in a backwards deepwater. I had a lot of problems with the latter but can't attribute any of them it to the spray.

Also have taught a lot of barefooters (and regular skiers) on the boom since then and don't think the spray is an issue.

My boom is from barefoot international and has a bend in it between the pylon and the gunwale to accommodate the winshield extension (or whatever you call it). I do not use an boom extender.

My $0.02
Lance
AH the pain of learning the backwards start. If you are still up to trying it, and haven't utilized the shoe skis, try them to help get your form right. Also, make sure that your boom is level with the water when sitting idle, not up like you'd want it for learning forward. The other thing to keep in mind is that this one is 80% driver....they can make or break you when learning, but once you get it, it is easier than going forward!!!
Old 11-27-2005, 04:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 Prostar 190 PowerSlot, 2004 22' Bennington Pontoon 90 HP Mercury 4-stroke
Thanks for the advice jkski on the backwards deepwater but I am not up for it now and might not ever try again. Basically I was trying to do the backwards deepwater when I was 27. Now that I am 40 and have a couple of kids I am lucky to get slalom skiing in let alone a bunch of time on the boom (I only had my mastercraft in the water once this year as we use the pontoon almost exclusively with a 4 and 2 year old). I am thinking maybe when my kids get to the age of barefooting I might do some basic barefooting but will not likely be up for backwards attempts.

I'll remember the advice though in case my kids are ever up for it.

Talk about a pathetic post huh?

Lance
Old 11-28-2005, 12:11 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190, 351 Indmar
I've never noticed the spray on my '89 ProStar when using the boom. I haven't been on the 5' handle in a while, I usually either hold on to the boom or longline. I did use it to learn tumbleturns, and don't remember getting sprayed - at least from the boat.
Good luck,
Kevin
1989 ProStar 190 with "Safe T Top", 351 Ford, GT 40 heads painted Ford Blue, Elec. Ign, 1:1, 720 hours, 4 blade prop, PP 6.5, removable platform brackets, custom color from factory, hot water shower, Boat Buddy & LED lights on trailer
2010 D3 Z7, 2 @ 32 off, 34 mph so far
Old 11-28-2005, 12:24 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
that's all i needed to hear thanks. I think we'll get a boom mainly for its ability to help guests learn to get up on skis, with out the miserable dragging and half drowning that many of them go through before learning. It'll also be good for those who aren't fully comfortable w/ the water/ keeping themselves stable.

beyond that, i wanna learn to barefoot and I don't see that happening longline w/o many painful experiences.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:32 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin 89MC
I've never noticed the spray on my '89 ProStar when using the boom. I haven't been on the 5' handle in a while, I usually either hold on to the boom or longline. I did use it to learn tumbleturns, and don't remember getting sprayed - at least from the boat.
Good luck,
Kevin
I never had a problem with spray with my '88 and I didn't use an extension. Spray wasn't a factor at footing speeds even with the 5' line nor was it a problem at 10mph teach kids how to ski speeds.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 11-29-2005, 08:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Here is a post from over a year ago on how to get up on the longline... the boom is definitely easier but if you don't get a boom don't let it stop you from trying this...

Without a boom I think the best bet is by sitting on a kneeboard. The general process that I use when getting up by kneeboard is:

1) Sit upright in the water with the kneeboard between your legs and the tip just showing out of the water (this is actually a little bit of a balancing act but helps once the rope gets tight).
2) Have the driver accelerate to about 18 mph with a nice gentle pull.
3) Get outside the wake on either the left or right side (left is probably a little easier for the driver). The easiest way is to cut left as soon as the driver starts the pull so you can get outside the wake before it even forms. Otherwise it is a little work to get over the big wake at 18.
4). Once you are up at 18 mph scoot as far forward on the board as possible. This prevents the board from bouncing (porposing) as you increase speed. I found the best way to scoot forward is hold handle with one hand, put other hand behind your but, put feet on tip, and lift your bottom and move forward. I usually get my but on the very front of the pad.
5).Give the driver a nod to indicate to speed up. I like to go about 33-35 but others will probably say faster.
6). Once up to speed I lay my body back (not all the way to the board but pretty close.
7) Take your feet off the kneeboard and place them on the water nearly flat with your toes curled up. Knees should be bent and feet on either side of the board.
8) Start putting downward pressure on your heels until you are up.
9) Breathe naturally and smile! you're up.

I learned this way but was never ever able to teach anyone else using this approach. Once I got the boom almost everyone could get up holding onto the boom (not as many using a 5' handle but some).

I echo the recommendation to wear a suit. Padded barefoot suit without sleeves is my preffered approach.