Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 06-16-2014, 04:55 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Ski Centurion
Neutral Switch not always engaging

I was having an issue this weekend with my boat. I was in neutral however my boat would not turn over. I would have the put the throttle in drive and then reverse and then back in neutral to get the boat to realize it was safe to start. Is there a switch in the throttle that is causing this and what is it called?
Old 06-16-2014, 05:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTWon View Post
I was having an issue this weekend with my boat. I was in neutral however my boat would not turn over. I would have the put the throttle in drive and then reverse and then back in neutral to get the boat to realize it was safe to start. Is there a switch in the throttle that is causing this and what is it called?
The switch is on your transmission and is called the neutral safety switch.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:44 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Depending upon how old your boat is, you may need to disassemble the throttle assembly and give it a thorough cleaning. Remove all the old grease and lubricate properly. When I did that with my boat, it was a night and day difference.

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $325 DELIVERED
REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $495 DELIVERED
Email - [email protected]
Old 06-19-2014, 01:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Tristar 190 Sport (Closed Bow), 351W w/ GT-40's
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTWon View Post
I would suspect the issue is probably the shift cable adjustment at the transmission end as opposed to a bad neutral safety switch. The cable adjustment can be very slight between working correctly, and not always engaging the neutral safety switch. I had the same issue after shaft replacement work at the shop. The issue was intermittent, and I knew what needed to be done (ie. shift into reverse then back to neutral) but it sure scared the heck out of anyone else driving it. A turn or two on the adjustment nut is all it may take.