Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 06-22-2014, 12:58 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft 197, 2002
Thanks Tssayre!

I went through all the diagnostics on Saturday, and concluded that it MUST BE the black box. I'll give Medallion another call on Monday and try to order one from Tracy. Thanks for the tip!
Old 06-23-2014, 11:18 AM
TT Newbie

Ran through the diagnostics this weekend. Checked the ground and the ignition switch and the kill switch. Tried pulling off ALL of the gages and then plugging them one at a time. NOTHING got the three bad ones to work.

Checked the INPUT to the MMDC. Found we had 12 volts coming in as expected, and 4 volts on the "data wire" from the engine (trouble shooting manual said 3-5 volts).

At this point, I've got to believe that the MMDC is bad. INPUTS are OK, but no outputs.

So, I've followed tssayre's advice and ordered a new one from Medallion. MC wanted ~ $800, and Medallion sold me one for only $350. Still pricey, but better than $800!

Thanks to all for their input --I appreciate it.

Let's hope that a new "black box" really IS the fix we need....
Old 06-23-2014, 12:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
I had a similar issue last season. After getting caught in a rainstorm, my tach (which also houses the LCD for temp, hours, etc) had picked up some moisture/condensation. At the same time, all my gauges failed but I didn't immediately figure out the tach was the culprit. On a hunch, I unplugged JUST the tach and all the other gauges started working again fine. . . plugged it back in and they stopped working. In my case, I got lucky--a couple of days in sunlight evaporated the moisture out of the tach and all has been trouble free ever since.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:10 PM
TT Newbie

I was REALLY hoping that unplugging some of the gages would fix the problem, but no joy.

I unplugged the ALL and then plugged them back in one at a time, hoping that something would come back on line. But, the only ones that worked were the fuel gage and oil pressure -- with or without everything else being plugged in.

I had THOUGHT that the volt meter was working, but upon unplugging it, found that it just DID NOT MOVE. The needle just stays at ~ 13 volts.

Glad that drying out the tach solved YOUR problem....
Old 06-23-2014, 01:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tssayre View Post
Skier Steve, I need a new MDC box (6607-20009-01) too. I was surprised to find that my location MC dealer wanted $500+. I called Medallion today and was able to get a new one from $273 + $15 shipping. I was told it would take 7-14 days for me to receive it as they may have to build a new one from scratch if they are out of current inventory. Tracy at Medallion is the person to contact. She can be reached at 616-850-8091. Hope this helps save TT folks some money. Mastercraft is marking up these up nearly 100%, I’m in the wrong business
Some interesting statements made by Medallion. There must be some demand that they wouldn't be able to keep them in stock. The price their selling them for is probably real close to break even and most likely a PR move since the product was poorly designed and so many people are having to drop big money to fix their mess. I mean really think about it. How many people had to spend anywhere near $300 to fix their gauges prior to the junk they started selling the boating industry? I think I may have replaced one tach in all my years of boating. I would be more nervous if I were running one of the newer LCD displays that all the boat manufactures are putting in these new boats. I wonder how much those will be going for 10 years down the line.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:46 AM
TT Newbie

Thanks for all the help, guys!

Turns out it WAS the black box (MMDC).

I called Medallion and got their trouble shooting guide. Found out that the inputs were OK, but the outputs were not. Checked the fuses -- OK. Tried plugging and unplugging gauges - no help. It's GOTTA be the box!

Called Medallion back and ordered one. Cost was $350 -- and they had it to me in less than 1 week (with rush shipping).

Easy installation (4 screws & 2 plugs) and we are back in business!

Much faster (& cheaper!) than dragging it to the dealer (4 hrs away).

Medallion was EXTREMELY helpful! If this one lasts 10 years, I'll be a happy camper!

Thanks again to all for your kind advice. Great to have a knowledge base like this. Saved me a BUNCH of time and $.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:01 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
Good. Make sure you remove the pitot tube from the mdc as part of your winterization process. The most common way they seem to fail is due to freeze damage. Also, make sure you have it mounted properly with the pitot tube fittings pointed down (there's usually an arrow to indicate proper mounting).
Old 07-07-2014, 11:42 AM
TT Newbie

No problems there -- I've got a paddle wheel!

But you are correct for those that DO have a pitot tube.