Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 06-14-2014, 09:26 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft 197, 2002
Three Gages Died today...

I have a 2002 Mastercraft 197. Ran well the last two weekends. Today, lost THREE gages: The tach, the left speedo, and the engine temp. (I have an aftermarket Perfect Pass in the right speedo hole).

I find it odd that THREE gages died all at the same instant. From reading, suspect that the MMDC may have gone bad.

IS THERE A WAY TO BE SURE? IS THERE A TROUBLE SHOOTING GUIDE FOR THE MEDALLION MMDC?

The label says 7018-00001-01. I've seen replacements on the web for $500 +, and don't want to spend that kind of money if the MMDC is NOT bad.

Read on one site that if ONE gage is bad, it will mess up the others. Not sure if that's true.
On my boat, the fuel gage and volt meter still work OK. But the other three gages are dead.

The needles DO "quiver" on start up, but that's it. They don't swing way up and then fall back. They just quiver.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance....
Old 06-14-2014, 09:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
Could be an mdc failure. Could be a single gauge on the bus making "noise" and causing the 3 gauges down the line to stop working. It's not likely senders.

Here's the troubleshooting guide:
http://www.bakesonline.com/images/Me...oubleshoot.pdf

I worked through it numerous times and got inconsistent/inconclusive results.

Apparently you can also send off the mdc to medallion for testing and they can tell you if it's bad or good with certainty.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:29 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
The gauges are set up to communicate on a bus typology (a string of pearls if you will) in which data is sent to all the devices but only data addressed to a specific device is displayed by that device. Horrible design that is pretty much a copy of very early Ethernet origin. This leads to any errors occurring on one device to effect all the devices on the bus. Hardly a robust architecture to choose.

The early implementations were know for their issues and getting them to run for more than a season or two can be challenging. I've seen a recent post where the owner has replaced all of his gauges with conventional gauges for a fraction of what a new MDC or OEM replacements would cost. If I were having issues I'd be hard pressed to spend big money on an MDC or another set of Medallion gauges that will most likely fail again in a couple years.

If you want to stay digital you may want to consider looking at Livorsi. They make a similar digital product that should be able to be retro fitted. I had also considered this for my 03 X2 that had multiple gauge issues but sold the boat before getting to that point.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:51 AM
TT Newbie

I'll try cleaning the contacts first. Took a quick look at them before I left the boat and they LOOKED OK, but I'll come back with some contact cleaner.

Sorry to hear that the MDS test protocol may be inconclusive. Was hoping to find a way to be SURE before spending big bucks.

Anybody know of a LESS EXPENSIVE source for a replacement MDC, if that's the problem?

Does anybody sell "re-conditioned" units or something like that?

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2014, 09:44 AM
MC Devotee

The troubleshooting tests could be conclusive in your case. The were just not in my case and anecdotally many others. I'm the one bturner2 referred to who removed my MDC and went with standard analog gauges. It's definitely the way to go IMHO if you need to replace anything more than a single gauge or two:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=61353

I'm not aware of anyone selling refurb MDCs and I'd be hesitant to pay anything for a used one given their track record. Bake's marine sells them new for $290 if I recall correctly which was the best price I found anywhere. My whole 6 gauge set was $172 so I went that route.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:14 PM
TT Newbie

I'm a little afraid of swapping out ALL of the gages. Think I'd rather replace the MDC (if that's what is wrong). Only saw the mini at Bakes, but maybe they also have the "big one".

I read another post that talked about two in-line fuses in the wires to the MDC. I'll have to look for them on my boat next week. I'm kind of surprised that Mastercraft would put IN LINE fuses on something like this!? You'd think they would use something on the breaker panel ??

I'd like to have some REPLACEMENT fuses on hand in case they are bad. Anybody know what kind / size they are?

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2014, 09:07 PM
MC Devotee

Mine did not have inline fuses. If you had a fuse issue all gauges except perfect pass and the depth sounder would have stopped working. There are no fuses for individual medallion gauges.

I didn't really pay attention to exactly what Bake's had available but just casually noticed at one point that they seemed to have a better price that I had found elsewhere when I looked at replacing my MDC. You may be right and they may not have the right one.

By pulling apart the dash for troubleshooting you're going to do 90% of the work that it would have taken just to replace the gauges and eliminate the MDC. I should know as I pulled everything apart 4-5 times, cleaned connections, reseated connectors, cleaned grounds, followed the troubleshooting guide with a multimeter, etc. over the course of 3 seasons. Each time I got different results and came to different conclusions. I wish I had just replaced it all from the beginning and I would have saved at least 5-6 hrs of time.

If you can't confirm with 100% certainty that the MDC is bad and also that the gauges are good (or vice versa) I'd be way more "afraid" of swapping the mdc out and those gauges still not working. It would be strange but this system sucks so bad a triple gauge failure wouldn't really surprise me that much. Something could have "zapped" all three at once. Then you'd have spent $290+ and still have to go out and try to find matches for the affected gauges. You might be stuck waiting for used gauges to pop up on eBay and then they wouldn't necessarily be "known good". You could end up at $400+ pretty quickly and still have a gauge system that's flawed by design and difficult to troubleshoot the next time something goes wrong.

I would do one of the following:
1) leave the dash together and send the MDC to medallion for testing. This requires minimal work on your part and should give you certainty on whether the MDC is bad or not. I'd guess there's a fee for this but it shouldn't take more than 30 mins of work on your part to remove the old one, pack it up and send it off. If it's bad then replace it and hopefully you're done. If it's good either troubleshoot further on your own or switch to option 2 (and sell your now "known good" per medallion MDC)

2) Buy an analog set of gauges that you like and swap them in.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:52 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '04 PS209
You could call Medallion. I think it is the cheapest way to replace it. I ordered a new MMDC from them. At the time, a couple of summers ago, they had a service to repair your old one as well. I agree with the alternate gauge route. If this freaking thing fails again I will be switching over as well, thanks to Jeff D's write-up.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:18 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Pulling everything apart and cleaning got me nowhere. I was also told at the time (this was like 6 years ago) that it could be a bad ground and went down that rat hole too. I basically started at the engine ground and checked/cleaned everything from there to the dash. Pulled everything apart and inspected, cleaned and tightened every connection along the way with no joy.

Later that spring I added PP and had problems getting it to work. PP was very aware of the issues with the Medallion gauges and sent me a noise filter to use with the Medallion gauge solution to fix my PP issue. Unfortunately the Medallion gauge package during those early years were not very reliable (as were the brake components of that name used during the same manufacturing time frame). Not sure how much money or time I'd be willing to invest in that package but this is something only you can decide. The only down side I see on replacing the gauge package is losing the MC logos on the gauges. However having gauges that actually work is much more important than the logos IMO.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:58 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 Mastercraft Prostar 190 EVO
Skier Steve, I need a new MDC box (6607-20009-01) too. I was surprised to find that my location MC dealer wanted $500+. I called Medallion today and was able to get a new one from $273 + $15 shipping. I was told it would take 7-14 days for me to receive it as they may have to build a new one from scratch if they are out of current inventory. Tracy at Medallion is the person to contact. She can be reached at 616-850-8091. Hope this helps save TT folks some money. Mastercraft is marking up these up nearly 100%, I’m in the wrong business