Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-16-2014, 05:27 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2005 x-10
How many hrs. on an Ilmor before watersports

I read Ilmore's owner manual for the 5.7 for break in period (10-25 hr. service, varying throttle, quick steady starts to get the boat on plane) but nothing indicating when it's safe to use if for surfing, skiing, wake boarding. Any input appreciated.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X-10 6.0
When I picked mine up last year my dealer said hop right behind the boat just don't slam it with weight. Follow instructions with the steady starts and vary rpm's a little when pulling. Just try to avoid any unneeded stress on the engine.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:35 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
A lot of varying schools of thought in this one- baby it for the first 10 or drive it like you stole it,,,

IMO I have had 3 new break in's and this is what I did.

1st 5 hours, always make sure you are at full operating temp, no ballast and quickly plane the boat, don't exceed 3000 to 3500 RPM and vary speed, no PP. At the end of your time, give it a good run up to about 4000 back off to 3500 for a decent run of a few minutes then let her idle for about 5 before shutting down for the day.

After your 1st five you can start to introduce ballast and water sports, just not all day grinding at surf speed slammed.

After 10, do as you please, oil change no later than 25 hours.

This method has served me well with flawless engine performance and little to no oil usage. My 6.2 Ilmor used about 1/2 quart from 25-89 hours in the first season.my 5.7 Indmar would use about 1 quart a season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk