Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2014, 04:48 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: x2
opinions on shoddy service

Figure I'd get some opinions as many of you deal with MasterCraft dealers. Give me your $.02 on what you'd do regarding the following issues I'll try to give the Cliffs Notes version.

I had my impeller replaced when winterized this year. Put the boat in the water for the first time to find that the gasket was completely blown out. Luckily, I noticed the water spraying out before i ran the motor for very long. It's apparent that they either didn't replace it or installed it wrong. Whatever the case, they didn't check to make sure it was done right. Memorial day weekend was a bust and I still have to install a new gasket. I paid for all the service/winterizing when I picked up the boat.

I inquired over the winter about having the stitching pulled tighter due to wear on sundeck. They told me that the material was fine and it'd be a simple stitching issue rather than having a recover. When I gave the ok, he then said their upholstery guy could also put some new cushion material into the backseat where it was sagging due to people boarding the boat over the years. I didn't get a quote on the sundeck stitching but he told me that the back seat would be "a couple hundred bucks" Sounded ok so I said to do it. I went to get the 2 pieces and they couldn't find the invoice and told me they'd email it to me. I got back to the boat and found that they had actually recovered the back seat and the gray on the other seats didn't match the gray/tan color which is on the recover. Doesn't match! I got the email a couple days later and it was $800. I sent an email complaining about all my issues and they didn't respond for 3 weeks. got a reply today and they said they reduced it to $600 because they had actually billed me for a third cushion from another boat. They apologized only for the delay on them having my boat for 5 months while I waited on it to be winterized. (whole other story) Didn't touch on the wrong seat colors, the impeller housing gasket, nada!

I'm all willing to give them something but $600is still a bit high for all the grief and negligence! That was a bit lengthy but if you read through it, I'd love to hear your opinion. This just isn't the level I'd expect from MasterCraft....
Old 06-11-2014, 05:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 MasterCraft X2
Location?
Old 06-11-2014, 05:13 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
I would not pay a dime and never go back. I'd be livid if we agreed on the scope of work and then they did not perform what they said they would without contacting me. To make matters worse, if the work looked worse than the agreed upon method.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:17 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: x2
I don't really want to bash them or call them out online. I own my own business and know crap hits the fan sometimes. I do however make any wrongs I do right! Just trying to see what others would do under my circumstance.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:43 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
I sure as heck would be livid as well. Wouldn't pay a dime either. This is yet another reason I prefer to always go straight to the source myself. Outsourcing things like upholstery n gelcoat lead to the ol game of "telephone" relaying info from your dealer contact, to the porter, then to upholstry guy, then to the upholstry worker . Things get lost. What are they going to do about mismatched upholstery now?

Nothing was done right or how it was explained.

Side note.... Not to kick ya why your down, but this is textbook on why you should always carry a spare impellar kit, ( impellar,screws, gasket) These simple cheap parts can destroy a weekend in a heartbeat

Previous : 2000 X-Star, 3000lbs ballast, LTR 330, Acme 1235 14.5X14.25prop. 1200 hrs of flawless fun
Old 06-11-2014, 06:21 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
I wouldn't be paying for that rear seat when it wasn't what you agreed on. I'd pay them for the impeller so long as they make it right, but I'd probably suggest they let you find your own mechanic, and they foot the bill.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2009 MCX
What a mess! I would give them a choice, either A - redo the cushion to match existing colors, or B - waive the bill.

Not much you can do on the impeller...if they were smart they would offer you something so you will bring your boat back for future services.

I hope it all works out in the end...
Old 06-11-2014, 06:37 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 99 OB SportStar
Send a message via AIM to jraben8 Send a message via MSN to jraben8
I don't recommend this for a long term fix but long ago I had a similar problem with an impeller gasket and a long weekend. Please forgive me but for the sake of saving my weekend I cut one from a Styrofoam plate to get me by. It made me nervous and I watched it very closely but it worked just fine. I think I had heard about the idea from a post on this board.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:01 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
They did work you didn't authorize, and didn't do the work you requested properly. I wouldn't pay anything.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Post some pictures of the seat so we can get an idea of how bad the match is.