Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-24-2014, 03:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X23 ordered
My new prop hits the prop shaft support bracket "strut"?

What should I do? Iam trying to get my new x45 int water asap, but today as I tried to install my new 1285 Acme prop it appears there's something wrong with the tolerances of this
Boats' drivetrain. I checked the gearbox end, whether I could of loosend the nut on that end slightly and gain few millimeters at the prop end, but the nut and the shaft end are exactly aligned at the gearbox end of the prop shaft. So the only thing that comed to my mind is that I could use my electrical file and file off approximately 3-5mm of the strut, to create space between the prop and the strut. I want to get your opinions if there is someone who has ran into this issue as well. My boat is a 2007 x45.
Attached Images

MC X-Star MCX 2005
Tige 20v 2004 black scorpion 6.2
MC ProStar 190 1995 275hp
Old 05-24-2014, 03:37 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
I highly recommend that you DO NOT file the strut. Find the root cause of the misalignment. I wouldn't rush into things just to get out on the water.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

I fully agree with you Scott, but I have absolutely no idea, what is causing this as the shaft is perfectly aligned and prop really spins very easily if I rotate the prop by hand, which to me tells that there are no alignment issues there. It just appears like the prop shaft is slightly too short or the strut is too far back. Strut being too far back just somehow does not make any sence as if it really was too far back then the problem is wrong drill pattern at the factory. My understanding is that even if I bought a new strut it would still install in the exact same location using the same hole pattern. Only possible solution would be if a new strut has a slightly different design to it and the piece through which the prop shaft goes through is shorter...!? I do not know... Could somebody measure their strut for me and especially the bottom part length?
MC X-Star MCX 2005
Old 05-24-2014, 10:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
Not sure if I am understanding your problem fully, but I assume that there is a step on the shaft and you are bottoming out on the strut before the prop is seated on the step. If that is the case could you add some shims behind the prop to effectively move out the shaft step? May have to get the OD of the shims turned down on a lathe to get the OD small enough not to touch the strut.

Click on the link above for Jabsco repair parts, including bearings, o-rings, lip seals and many other ballast pump parts.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:22 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
Ok to me the prop looks to be on backwards in the pic. Even with the pic upside down. The 1285 stamp should face the rear. Easy way to check...... Lay your prop flat on the ground One side all the blades will touch and the hub will be off the ground(this side is pointed towards the transom). The other side the hub will touch flat on the ground and the blades will not (this side goes toward bow). In your pic it looks like you have that reversed. Could be the angle of the pic though.....in any event thought it looked close enough to double check at least.

Previous : 2000 X-Star, 3000lbs ballast, LTR 330, Acme 1235 14.5X14.25prop. 1200 hrs of flawless fun
Old 05-25-2014, 02:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatguy View Post
Ok to me the prop looks to be on backwards in the pic. Even with the pic upside down. The 1285 stamp should face the rear. Easy way to check...... Lay your prop flat on the ground One side all the blades will touch and the hub will be off the ground(this side is pointed towards the transom). The other side the hub will touch flat on the ground and the blades will not (this side goes toward bow). In your pic it looks like you have that reversed. Could be the angle of the pic though.....in any event thought it looked close enough to double check at least.
The prop cannot be mounted the wrong way as you cannot slide the prop on the splined shaft the wrong way.
MC X-Star MCX 2005
Old 05-25-2014, 02:42 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk View Post
Not sure if I am understanding your problem fully, but I assume that there is a step on the shaft and you are bottoming out on the strut before the prop is seated on the step. If that is the case could you add some shims behind the prop to effectively move out the shaft step? May have to get the OD of the shims turned down on a lathe to get the OD small enough not to touch the strut.
You are absolutely correct. You understood my problem correctly. I am bottoming out on the strut "prop touches the strut end" before the prop is seated correctly. I believe it is only a question of couple of millimeters that is why I suggested that I could file off those needed millimeters from the strut end as there is nothing vital on the strut end just thin metal. However I did not quite understand your shim idea, it sounds like a good idea, but I did not understand how this would help as the prop needs to be able to slide a millimeter further up the prop shaft towards the strut to seat it correctly?
MC X-Star MCX 2005
Old 05-25-2014, 03:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190
So what happened to the prop that was on it previously? It obviously fit just fine. Might be a good idea to get a caliper and compare them.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
There should be about 3/4" clearance between the prop hub and strut
Original shaft?
Old 05-25-2014, 06:23 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Maybe new prop had splines cut too deep?