Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 06-09-2014, 02:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 PS 190 Stars and Stripes Pro Tour Edition
93 ProStar 190 S&S aka "Garage Queen" Ongoing Refurbishment

It has been almost eight years that my PS190 has lived here in Florida, and she has been the center point of many fun times, and lots of great memories; but she is showing her age being that she is 21 . Figure it is time for another refurbishment/restoration.
In 2006-2007 we gave her and the trailer a heavy cosmetic refurb, with the trailer receiving the most love. Trailer got a new torsion flex axle, electric brakes, updated wheels and tires, sandblasted and powdercoated, new carpet on the bunks, all new wiring, and LED lights. Fenders got wet sanded and polished.
Before and after on the trailer:

She got some repairs done, and a lot of cosmetic enhancements. All the underwater gear and anything that could be pulled from the motor were chromed. Motor and trans were sanded and repainted. Bilge cleaned. MCX exhaust manifolds and 3” straight exhaust with stainless tips installed. Some wiring work, and general maintenance.
Motor before and after:

Since then she has lived a life of luxury, either on the boat lift, or on the trailer. Waxed and pampered, and not used as much as I would have liked. She became the neighborhood “trailer queen”.
Fast forward to late 2008-2009 when I met my wife to be, and step-daughter to be. Bought a house, spent way too much time on the house, and her in the garage.

Fast forward to 2013. Moved into the new (to us) house right after Memorial Weekend. Spent way too much of the Summer on the house, and her in the garage.

I became more active on TT in 2013 which activated my MCOCD, thanks Kyle, Double D, Rat, DooSPX, and everyone else. Now that the new house and landscaping are done, we can ski as much as possible too.
The project list below is what is planned for 2014-2015, and probably more to come. My wife saw the list and asked how much this was going to cost. I told her “a helluva lot less than a new boat!”
2014- 2015 Prostar Refurbishment Time frame
  • Fix gauge panel mount points June-14 Done
  • Replace switch panels June-14 Done
  • Install Stargazer June-14 Done
  • Replace clock June-14
  • Replace ignition switch July-14
  • New winch and jack July-14
  • Redo the MC Decals on winshield,
    Safe T Top and Gas tank cover July-14
  • Redo the Indmar decals on
    both sides July-14
  • Remove winshield and powdercoat
    the frame. Replace rubber seals. October-14
  • Replace piping and have
    interior fixed October-14
  • Replace doghouse cupholder October-14
  • Have pylon chromed or polished October-14
  • Install OJ Dripless Shaft Seal October-14
  • Install underwater lights October-14
  • Replace carpet November-14
  • Replace gauge and switch panels November-14
  • Restore steering wheel November-14
  • Get fuel gauge working November-14
  • Install LED interior lights and
    cupholders November-14
  • New speakers, amp and sub
    (JL Audio) December-14
  • Stainless steel rub rail installed January-15
  • Gelcoat repairs- keel area January-15
  • Redo gelcoat on fenders to match
    the boat and trailer January-15
  • Install skid pads on trailer fenders January-15

Stay tuned for the beginning and hopefully the end of the journey
Dave

Last edited by Waterskibum; 06-23-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:05 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
I just took the clock out of my 93 if you are looking for one. Not sure what they go for.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:15 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterskibum View Post
My wife saw the list and asked how much this was going to cost. I told her “a helluva lot less than a new boat!
Best line ever!!!! Keep us posted!!

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 06-09-2014, 03:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 96 ProStar 190 LT1
Any chance you could write a little review on those exhaust manifolds?
Old 06-10-2014, 12:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbryan70 View Post
I just took the clock out of my 93 if you are looking for one. Not sure what they go for.
Thanks for the offer. Think I might have found a brand new one. Will let you know if the deal falls through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
Best line ever!!!! Keep us posted!!
LOL! Knew you would like that line

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs96ps View Post
Any chance you could write a little review on those exhaust manifolds?
Can't find the old thread. I would not say there are any "cons" to the MCX manifolds. To install them I did have to reverse the LT-1 cylinder head cooling lines as the outlets on the manifolds were on the rear, where the stock Indmar ones were on the front. No biggie though, just remove the plugs from the back of the heads, pop the lines off, and swap sides. Pros- MCX manifolds are about half the weight of the stock ones. Got to move up to 3" exhaust, straight through (no mufflers), and S/S tips. Sounds much better, and throttle response was better.
One other Con would be price. They are really expensive new. I got a killer deal on them back in 06. Personally I would not have done it if I had to buy them new. Just not enough performance increase to justify the $$.

Last edited by Waterskibum; 06-10-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 96 ProStar 190 LT1
Maybe just a short list of pros and cons on review.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:52 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterskibum View Post
Thanks for the offer. Think I might have found a brand new one. Will let you know if the deal falls through.
Sounds good. Let me know and ill try to take some pictures of it. It is in great condition.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:58 AM
TT Enthusiast

As previously mentioned, I have not been skiing as much as I would have liked to. Well, our new neighborhood in on the lake, there are quite a few skiers in there, and we have a slalom course right off our dock area. I have not really skied in the course for about ten years, and I figure 2014 is prime time to start again. I sent Bruce at AWS an e-mail and got a PP Stargazer system ordered before Memorial Day. Installing the PP is really what kicked off the June phase of the project, and got me to fix some other issues that I have ignored for a while.
Started by replacing the switch panels with the ones Kyle made me. I used #8 stainless steel socket cap screws with nylock nuts for the audio control panel. The two switches are for the future LED interior lights, and the underwater lights.

The main switch panel was fun, NOT. Started by drawing out the back of the switches and noting where each different wire went on the switch, bundled each set up wires up, labeled them, then moved the switch one by one, As I took more of them out I realized that they were the only thing holding the panel together. Got them all moved, checked that everything worked, and went to bolt it in. Thankfully the factory nut-zerts were still there, and #8 socket cap screws work there too. I start bolting it in, and realize that the holes in the panel and my mount points are way off. No fault of Kyle’s at all. My boat of course has to be different! There was no way I could reuse the old panel, so I had to destroy Kyle’s hard work to use it.

This is only temporary though, when Kyle gets the gauge panels done I am going to have him do a complete new set for me, and yes, I will provide measurements this time!
Old 06-11-2014, 10:59 AM
TT Enthusiast

The gauge panel mounts are notoriously weak in this era ProStar, and mine is no exception. Bailing wire and duct tape were my friends for the longest time. What I decided to do was use some 5/16 stainless socket cap screws to match the switch panels, and I epoxied the nuts to the washers, and then epoxied them where the factory nut-zerts were. This worked well; but I’ll probably add some fiberglass mat to strengthen the areas this Winter, and fix the top three mounting points in the dash too.

Thanks to Jersey Dave for snapping a high-res pic of the steering wheel decal as I was able to have Cheri at Planet H2O make a new one. Not like the factory bubble one; but it works. I have a few extras in black if anyone needs one. Just let me know.

Next on the list was the PP installation. Servo went easily as did the control unit.

Fishing the servo power wire through the floor to the motor, well, that is another story. Finally gave up being a contortionist, and decided the floor around the pylon has to come up. To get the floor up requires the seat to be removed. Ok no biggie, except I need a 90 degree Phillips head to get the back two screws out. Ended up using a Ľ inch socket with a #2 Phillips head from the Dewalt. Got those out and moved to the front screws, only to realize that one is completely stripped out. Wanting to reuse the insert in the floor, I decided to try and drill a hole on the stripped screw, and then epoxy another one in there, to try and remove it. Well, that did not work, so had to drill the head off, and use a new mount point.

I was not paying attention, and was frustrated by this point, and did not notice that the Dewalt was eating my seat cushion. Note to self, move the darn seat cushion next time!

So the seat is out, and I am able to move the floor up enough to fish the wire out and hook up to the servo. As usual, I was not paying attention to the other side of the motor, and must have put too much pressure on the raw water line, and broke my Perko (which had already been repaired previously). Oh well, more epoxy…….

Got everything put back together late on Friday night, and went out first thing on Saturday am to test it out. After getting our slalom course mapped in PP, we then went to testing timing through the course to calibrate it. Well the PP would beep at the set speed; but not hold the speed. Back to the dock, and hours of troubleshooting later, I am told that I need a throttle brake because my throttle defaults to idle unless you have pressure on it. Sure would have been nice for PP to mention this in their documentation. Of course I should have known this too. Throttle brake will be here today; but rain will be too, so no skiing tonight. More updates later on.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:15 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Looking good! Man, I want that boat! If I hit the lottery, I'm coming down with a thick stack of greenbacks! In the meanwhile, I hope to someday meet up with you for a pull. (If you ever want to see the liberty bell and climb the steps of the art museum like Rocky I'd gladly give you a pull too!)