Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-06-2014, 09:25 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2007 X1
Hello:

I am not a mechanic but I have been having a similar issue on my 07 X1. I just got it back from the shop yesterday and I'm going to test it out today.

Per my mechanic he pulled the codes and spoke to Indmar. Per Indmar this is a known issue caused by the drive-by-wire being too tight. According to my mechanic it was drum tight between the throttle module and the motor. He was able to find some slack by working the wire in the harness.

I don't know if yours is the same thing (heck, I'm not sure if my mechanic correctly diagnosed everything) but I thought I would pass along what I learned, especially since we have the same year boat.

Good luck, Steve.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:55 AM

Boat: 06 X30
I just went through all the Indmar service advisories, alerts and bulletins and didn't see anything about the wiring for the motor or tps. But who knows, stranger things have happened.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:11 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2005 x45
Hi Guys,

I have an 05 X45 that is throwing code 81 (tac fault)

I have swapped out the potentiometer at the throttle and still won't come out of limp mode.

Any suggestions?

cheers
Danno
Old 08-04-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Hi Guys,

I have an 05 X45 that is throwing code 81 (tac fault)

I have swapped out the potentiometer at the throttle and still won't come out of limp mode.

Any suggestions?

cheers
Danno
Code 81 is for the Throttle Actuator Control (TAC). It has nothing to do with the TPS faults.

The TAC is mounted on the backside of the ECM bracket and is about 4 x 8" with two plugs on it. It connects the pedal position sensor to the ECM and the throttle body. Typically, a faulty TAC results in a dead stick or no throttle.

The Indmar part number should be 551381.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:06 AM
TT Newbie

Thanks for getting back to me Tim.

I pulled that TAC last night and found it had a crack with some moisture inside. took it apart and it looked good inside. I also tested the throttle body and I was getting the correct 5v/ 12v to the servo. the butterfly was stiff to push on the first go, so after some checking around i think it may be the plastic gears inside the throttle body have spun out. Any thoughts on this or should I just start with whichever is cheaper?

cheers and thanks again for the input

Danno
Old 08-05-2014, 11:45 AM

Well, as I read more in the diagnostic part of the manual, code 81 can be a few things, not just the TAC. But you say your trouble code readout is 81 (TAC), right? Well, even in the TAC there are sub section faults.

If, I am to be of any help, I'll need to know what the rest of the code says.

Does it show two faults IE

(81) Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Malfunction
(81) TAC Fault - Not Tracking

Or are there other codes/text?

I wouldn't buy either part until you, I or someone else can say for sure what the issue really is.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:49 AM
TT Newbie

Thanks for getting back to me Tim.

I pulled that TAC last night and found it had a crack with some moisture inside. took it apart and it looked good inside. I also tested the throttle body and I was getting the correct 5v/ 12v to the servo. the butterfly was stiff to push on the first go, so after some checking around i think it may be the plastic gears inside the throttle body have spun out. Any thoughts on this or should I just start with whichever is cheaper?

cheers and thanks again for the input

Danno
Old 08-05-2014, 12:28 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Well, as I read more in the diagnostic part of the manual, code 81 can be a few things, not just the TAC. But you say your trouble code readout is 81 (TAC), right? Well, even in the TAC there are sub section faults.

If, I am to be of any help, I'll need to know what the rest of the code says.

Does it show two faults IE

(81) Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Malfunction
(81) TAC Fault - Not Tracking

Or are there other codes/text?

I wouldn't buy either part until you, I or someone else can say for sure what the issue really is.

You are already a big help. much appreciated. Another question I have after looking around at comparable parts is; Can you use the TAC out of a chevy truck or caddy? same motor, part looks the same, different #, considerably cheaper

Here are the fault codes:

(81) throttle actuator control (TAC) Malfunction
(81) TAC FAULT - TPS2 Range
(81) TAC FAULT - PPS2 Range
(81) TAC FAULT - PPS1 Range
(81) TAC FAULT - TPS12 Corr
(81) TAC FAULT - PPS12 Corr
(81) TAC FAULT - lmtd Authority
Old 08-05-2014, 12:39 PM

Wow, you got the entire salad bowl there.

I don't know if the TAC out of a vehicle is the same. I'm not qualified to make the assumption. Let me do some more reading.

Clearly, in any case, an electronic part that is broken open and now has moisture in it will surely need replacing.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:47 PM

I'd say, at this point, your TAC is fried and would start with that. When you have the (81) TAC FAULT - lmtd Authority it indicates the TAC isn't getting any data, from what I read.

Clearly if the TAC is broken open and wet it's not working correctly.

I went out and pulled my spark arrestor off and pushed on the butterfly. You can hear the gears moving but it's not easy to push on and isn't free wheeling in there.

I'd say do the TAC and test. If has to be replaced regardless so it's a no brainer on the first part.

The other big reason I think it's the TAC is because you are getting faults in areas that all combined to the TAC. The PPS is up at the helm so unless you have sunken the boat I fail to see why that fault code would come in at the same time all the others do.

Tags
x-45