Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-05-2014, 04:57 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft,x-45,2007,8.1
Check engine light on a 2007 X-45 with the 8.1

I am new to the forum and I already have a favor. My new to me 2007 X-45 with 40 hours on it through a check engine light last week. I had the code checked and it showed (65610 Electronic Throttle Control ETC) FMI: 2 Data erratic, intermittent or incorrect. The code was cleared but as soon as you fire the motor the check engine light comes right back on. Does anyone have experience with a problem like this? I love this forum and I thank you in advance for any help!!
Old 06-05-2014, 05:06 PM
TT Newbie

Here are a few pictures.
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2014, 05:23 PM

Boat: 06 X30
What were you doing when the code came first came on?

There is a square module on the back of the motor. In your boat that means the bow end. I'll see if I can get a pick up it later. The ETC box which communicates with both the tps and ecm, is what the module is. I talk to Indmar about it a while back. In fact, I think it was Larry here, engine nut, and he gave me the poop.

Turns out this box can start to go bad and throw this error code. I'll see if I can find the emails.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:38 PM
TT Newbie

It came on while we were towing the kids on the tube on the way back to the boat ramp at about 12 miles an hour. We had surfed all day and the boat ran perfect. After we cleared the code I went to the lake to see if it was fixed and the check engine light came on instantly when the boat was started. I could shut off the audible signal by pushing the display button and the boat appeared to run ok. The only really strange thing was while surfing at 11.3 the boat just went to idle without warning. The throttle was still in the position it should have been so I ruled out driver error. It totally surprised me and the guy surfing. Thank you again for your help!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-05-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dayz View Post
It came on while we were towing the kids on the tube on the way back to the boat ramp at about 12 miles an hour. We had surfed all day and the boat ran perfect. After we cleared the code I went to the lake to see if it was fixed and the check engine light came on instantly when the boat was started. I could shut off the audible signal by pushing the display button and the boat appeared to run ok. The only really strange thing was while surfing at 11.3 the boat just went to idle without warning. The throttle was still in the position it should have been so I ruled out driver error. It totally surprised me and the guy surfing. Thank you again for your help!!!!!!!!!
Do you have the factory prop still? How heavy was the boat weighted for surfing?

edit
the boat going back to idle is part of the ETC issue, but the ETC may not be bad. It could be the heavy loaded surf condition combined with the stock prop. The first time it happened to me I ended up surfing past the boat while looking at my wife trying to figure out what she had done. She just looked at me like I didn't do anything!

One thing I noticed when this happen to me was the boat was struggling to get to surf speed with the factory prop and a lot of weight. I think what happens is the boat is asking for more throttle from the cruise or PP and the factory prop just doesn't have the nuts to push the boat when loaded down. When I switch to a different prop, hi5 OJ Props, the issues stopped and I didn't even need to change the ETC box.

I'm not saying your module isn't bad, or that you need to change your prop for heavy loaded surfing. That's just my bit of info.

I'm still looking for the emails and I'll get the photo tomorrow for you.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:06 PM
TT Newbie

I just had full factory ballast and about 10 people on the boat. The boat did not feel like it was struggling. It has the factory prop.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:22 AM

After going back and reading the emails again, it seems I was having two issues at once. I had both ETC code and a code for the Throttle Actuator Control (TAC).

I think the ETC and the TPS are one module, which is located on the TB near your spark arrestor. I was confusing the two parts.

I'm looking for your specific DTC now.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:38 AM

Here is what I have so far.

Quote:
Diagnostic Information and Procedures

SPN 65610, FMI 2 ETC TPS 1-2 CORRELATION
(Electronic Throttle Control, Throttle Position Sensor 1-2 Correlation)

Circuit Description
The throttle position (TP) sensors 1 and 2 are located within the throttle body assembly. The ECM supplies the TP sensors
with a common 5-volt reference circuit and a common low reference circuit. Each TP sensor has an individual signal
circuit, which provides the ECM with a signal voltage that changes in proportion to the throttle plate angle. When the
throttle plate is in the closed position, TP sensor 1 signal voltage is near the low reference and TP sensor 2 signal voltage
is near the 5-volt reference. As the throttle is opened, TP sensor 1 signal voltage increases and TP sensor 2 signal
voltage decreases.
If the ECM detects that the TP sensor voltages are not within a predicted value from each other, SPN 65610, FMI 2 sets.

DTC Descriptor
This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTC:
SPN 65610, FMI 2 ETC TPS 12 Correlation
Old 06-06-2014, 07:51 AM

Here is the DTC 65610 code trouble shooting info. You may just have a dirty connection at the ECM or the TPS. You can get some electronic connector cleaner at the auto parts store and try cleaning those connections. Make sure you check all your grounding wires on the battery and engine for corrosion too. If neither of these work you can go deeper into the diagnosis table.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Indmar_MEFI5-5Amanual.226-228.pdf (148.6 KB, 104 views)
Old 06-06-2014, 09:16 AM
TT Newbie

Thank you very much Tim! I will give this a shot today and I will let you know.

Tags
x-45