Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 06-02-2014, 10:35 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Buying an motorcycle from out of state

My brother passed away just over a week ago. He fought a long, hard battle against cancer. This is the third brother I have lost and it has not been easy. Worse of all, our mother is still alive. For a mother to loose one son is unthinkable, let alone three. There are two of five brothers left of which I'm one. Unfortunately to other remaining brother is a long time drug addict of which I don't associate with at all; so I can't help but feel I'm the last one left.

He managed to do some things on his bucket list like go to the last few bike rallies such as Sturgis. He was an avid motorcyclist. He had two bikes at the end. A Kawasaki 900 he has had forever which won a couple of awards in some bike shows (incredible paint job, lots of chrome, etc). That bike has been transferred to his son.

His other bike is a 2003 Harley Davidson V-Rod 100th Anniversary Edition. His wife was planning on selling the bike but I could not see letting it leave the family. It's was agreed for me to buy the bike; price and all is a done deal.

The bike is in PA and I'm in CA so I have a few details to figure out. The title is in my bother's name only. So a few things that I need to figure out -

1) Shipping. I don't (currently) drive a motorcycle. I plan to take a class at a local Harley Davidson dealer. Even so, I would think a cross country trip on that bike by a newbe would be a very bad idea.

2) How to transfer (sell) to title to me. Does my sister in-law need to first get the title transferred to her or can that be done as part of the sale and transferring to me in CA.

Both of us plan to call our respective DMV's but you all know now helpful DMV's can be sometimes. Anyone having any knowledge of these issues, advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:55 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X-30 2014
First sorry for you and you mothers losses. It must be very difficult. I would suggest based on your experience or lack of, that you have it shipped. Many trucking companies online. Also the local Harley dealership can help with that as well. I had a motorcycle shipped from Florida without issues. In regards to the title transfer did your brother have a clear title for the bike? If so did he sign it prior to his passing? If so you can take that to CDMV and transfer it to your name. If not then it will be much more difficult depending on wills etc

WakeWise

Last edited by WakeWise; 06-03-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:49 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
Sorry for your loss.. check out keyboard Motorcycle shipping (http://www.keyboardmotorcycleshipping.com/). Now is actually a good time to ship a bike since a lot of shipping companies are bring bike to Sturgis and other rallies. We used Keyboard several times to ship our bike cross country where we would start our rides. The last time was from Louisiana to Seattle and it was around $800.

As for the title, I'm sure others may know better than me, but since it is part of his estate I'm sure it will need to be handled by the executor.

Good Luck
Old 06-02-2014, 11:50 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 94' Prostar 205 - Indmar 5.7 TBI
Sorry to hear about your loss.

I fix motorcycles for some side income, and a few of my customers who do not have any time to deliver them use uship.

http://www.uship.com/
Old 06-02-2014, 12:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 205, 2001, 350
Sorry for the loss of your brother.

For licensing etc... you can still buy the bike from your Sister-in-law but to save tax $$ make sure she gifts it to you.. I know here in MN that saves you tax $$$

You can always trailer out to CA visit your sister-in-law.. then Trailer to Sturgis (that is what everyone does anyway present company excluded). Have some fun there in remembrance of your brother, then trailer it the rest of the way home... a 2 week adventure, but sounds like that is what your brother liked to do...

Or ship it to Sturgis, trailer to there in August, ride but be careful, that part of the world is a motorcyclist dream but not for the new, stay around town and you will be fine, don't head to the hills or canyon roads... then put it on the trailer and head back... there I just saved you 2 days for driving...
Old 06-02-2014, 12:57 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft Maristar 210VRS, 2000
Great that you are keeping your brothers memory alive.

I have bought and sold motos in CA.

Make sure the bikes are CA smog legal, otherwise you won't be able to register them in CA (there might be a mileage exemption of 7,500 miles also, but you'll have to research that one). I'm just the messenger on this one, I hate that we ride bikes that get 50 mpg and they are worried about smog. I bought a bike a couple of years ago that was from Washington and they let me keep it registered as out of state resident, it wasn't CA approved smog (so guess who got my $$$). Ended up selling that bike to a Nevada State resident where they don't have useless moto smog regulations.

I'm sure you know you pay sales tax on used vehicle purchases. Bill of sale price matters. I won't elaborate, I'm sure you get it...

Sorry to hear about the circumstances, wish you the best of luck.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X14 w/ LY6
Sorry to hear about your loss. I purchased an RV years ago from an estate and had to have the widow sign the bill of sale, provide a letter explaining the situation and give me a copy of the death certificate. The registry then transfered the title. This was of course in Canada and laws may differ in CA.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:39 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205
Sorry for your family losses....Ask a Harley dealer,to take care of it. Have them go thru the bike, and service.

As to learning to ride. V rod is a big bike. Go buy a cheap,used bike. And learn to ride it. Doesn't matter your age. Learn to use the FRONT brake.

Street awareness, is learned over time. You need to get comfortable, with riding, then go to the big guy.

By the way, as a beginner,(statistically) you WILL drop or crash the bike in the 6 months!

I've ridden, and raced for years, great sport. You have to assume, every cage is out to get you, and drive defensively.

1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 sportstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoatN View Post
My brother passed away just over a week ago. He fought a long, hard battle against cancer. This is the third brother I have lost and it has not been easy. Worse of all, our mother is still alive. For a mother to loose one son is unthinkable, let alone three. There are two of five brothers left of which I'm one. Unfortunately to other remaining brother is a long time drug addict of which I don't associate with at all; so I can't help but feel I'm the last one left.

He managed to do some things on his bucket list like go to the last few bike rallies such as Sturgis. He was an avid motorcyclist. He had two bikes at the end. A Kawasaki 900 he has had forever which won a couple of awards in some bike shows (incredible paint job, lots of chrome, etc). That bike has been transferred to his son.

His other bike is a 2003 Harley Davidson V-Rod 100th Anniversary Edition. His wife was planning on selling the bike but I could not see letting it leave the family. It's was agreed for me to buy the bike; price and all is a done deal.

The bike is in PA and I'm in CA so I have a few details to figure out. The title is in my bother's name only. So a few things that I need to figure out -

1) Shipping. I don't (currently) drive a motorcycle. I plan to take a class at a local Harley Davidson dealer. Even so, I would think a cross country trip on that bike by a newbe would be a very bad idea.

2) How to transfer (sell) to title to me. Does my sister in-law need to first get the title transferred to her or can that be done as part of the sale and transferring to me in CA.

Both of us plan to call our respective DMV's but you all know now helpful DMV's can be sometimes. Anyone having any knowledge of these issues, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Just sign his name on the title and fill in your info. As long as the bike is not reported stolen you could have a chimpanzee sign it. The DMV will not do any research. You should be able to ship it anywhere in the USA for around 500 to 700 bucks. Sorry for all of your losses. Its hard to imagine what you and your family have gone through.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Some things I have found out so far. If it were a new vehicle, then it would have to be CA Smog equipped. New is 7500 miles or less on the odometer. Since it has more than 7500 miles, I'm safe there. Apparently motorcycles are exempt from CA Smog - I finally get a break in CA

My sister in-law went to a notary their family has used for years and was told no problem that they can help them with a simple PA DMV form that needs to be filled out then she can sign the title. I think I found the form and that jives from what I can tell. She also said that it is planned to gift to me but I think CA will base the value on book value and I will be taxed on that.

Now to start calling the shippers (thanks for the leads/suggestions) to get estimates on shipping.

Thanks to all.