Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-01-2014, 09:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X10
ballast tank gauge accuracy??

I have a 2013 x14v I purchased towards the end of last summer. The first computer stopped working and they put in a new one in the fall when the boat was winterized. I've only been out a few times and already I am getting major funky readings on the ballast tank readings.

I will fill them up (overflow) and the readings for all three will be 100%. I turn the boat off/on and now the center take reading is 50%. I empty all the tanks and turn the boat off/on and now the right side tank is 100% full.

Basically I never know if they are completely full or completely empty when I need them to be based on the gauges alone. Should I have any expectation that the readings be accurate?
Old 06-02-2014, 07:20 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Boat gas and ballast gauges are notoriously inaccurate. Yours seem to be effected by a bad ground or bad sensor. As you're still under warranty I would start a service list and once you get to the pain versus use point take it in and have them fix it.

I've changed sensors and tuned mine several times only to have them stop being accurate just a couple weeks later. Basically got them to be consistent and left them there. With a new boat and warranty..... I'd have them fixed every time the boat went in for service until the warranty went out.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:37 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-2
2012 didn't have sensors. It was all based on the computer calculating the level based on time, current flow, etc (not sure exactly what all it used and heard different answers from different people). Have you verified that you have the latest software? There were a lot bugs early on, but the latest version is supposed to resolve a lot of them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2014, 01:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-14V
2013 used Murphy controls, but I think the tank level logic is the same as the 2012 medallion controls: they calculate tank level based on pump operation time rather than an actual tank gauge. i.e. if it takes 3 minutes to empty the tank, and the pump has been on for 1.5 minutes, then the gauge will show the tank to be half full. I believe Murphy allows calibration by users in one of its setup screens, but I haven't taken delivery of my boat yet to verify.

I have not heard of the gauges changing levels when you turn them off/on - that seems to be a different problem than just timers. Definitely let the dealer know there is an issue.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-2
Sorry, I misread 2012 instead of 2013.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2014, 08:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for input everyone! I am going to call the dealer and get this checked out. I believe this model is based on pump revolutions but that doesn't explain why they "jump" up and down.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
My 2006 gauges are pretty much useless. We sent a man to the moon in 1969 with the computing power of a modern calculator, but Mastercraft can't make a reliable system to tell us how much water is in a plastic tank, 40 years later.

Do other boat brands have similar problems?

Click on the link above for Jabsco repair parts, including bearings, o-rings, lip seals and many other ballast pump parts.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk View Post
My 2006 gauges are pretty much useless. We sent a man to the moon in 1969 with the computing power of a modern calculator, but Mastercraft can't make a reliable system to tell us how much water is in a plastic tank, 40 years later.

Do other boat brands have similar problems?
Funny, and so true!

Tags
ballast question, gauges, x14v