Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 05-28-2014, 11:10 PM
Topp dawg Topp dawg is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X10
Location: Southeast
Posts: 249
I do have the seal. Advance auto parts didn't have the same one so they just grabbed one off the shelf and said it was the same size. You think they will return it, I'm sure I will bend it all up removing it from the hub.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-29-2014, 11:17 AM
CantRepeat's Avatar
CantRepeat CantRepeat is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Boat: 06 X30
Location: Roll Tide!!
Posts: 8,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topp dawg View Post
I do have the seal. Advance auto parts didn't have the same one so they just grabbed one off the shelf and said it was the same size. You think they will return it, I'm sure I will bend it all up removing it from the hub.
They sold you the wrong part and you realized it after the install. If it matters to you I would ask for the manager and explain the issue and how the seal would not work.

You can clean the grease off the bearing and the race with parts brush and gasoline.
__________________
Tim
Gone, surfing.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-29-2014, 11:40 AM
Table Rocker's Avatar
Table Rocker Table Rocker is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas
Posts: 1,623
I am wondering what would happen if you added oil to a hub with greased bearings. I can't think of any reason it would be a problem, but I'm not sure I would want to be the guinea pig.
__________________
'96 ProStar 205 SD LT-1
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-29-2014, 12:00 PM
mcmx2 mcmx2 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 2005 TT 197 #77
Location: Southeast
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Rocker View Post
I am wondering what would happen if you added oil to a hub with greased bearings. I can't think of any reason it would be a problem, but I'm not sure I would want to be the guinea pig.
I think if you changed the rear seal from a grease seal to an oil seal and found a way to seal the front side so it did not loose the oil then you would be fine.
__________________
2005 197 TT #77 LQ9
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-29-2014, 02:20 PM
Topp dawg Topp dawg is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X10
Location: Southeast
Posts: 249
Advance auto parts told me they would refund my money I just need to find the right seal now. I called several places and they all just said to bring in the one that came off. I was hoping there would be some way to look it up based on trailer model info.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-29-2014, 02:56 PM
CantRepeat's Avatar
CantRepeat CantRepeat is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Boat: 06 X30
Location: Roll Tide!!
Posts: 8,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topp dawg View Post
Advance auto parts told me they would refund my money I just need to find the right seal now. I called several places and they all just said to bring in the one that came off. I was hoping there would be some way to look it up based on trailer model info.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...highlight=seal
__________________
Tim
Gone, surfing.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-29-2014, 02:57 PM
Table Rocker's Avatar
Table Rocker Table Rocker is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas
Posts: 1,623
It might be a National Seal 413470. I think your hubs are Reliable.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Reliable Running Gear.pdf (298.8 KB, 31 views)
__________________
'96 ProStar 205 SD LT-1
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-29-2014, 02:58 PM
CantRepeat's Avatar
CantRepeat CantRepeat is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Boat: 06 X30
Location: Roll Tide!!
Posts: 8,488
Not sure if this is the correct seal but call them.

http://www.etrailer.com/question-69586.html

They will know what you need.
__________________
Tim
Gone, surfing.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-29-2014, 03:49 PM
Table Rocker's Avatar
Table Rocker Table Rocker is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas
Posts: 1,623
I think you need 2.125 I.D. The seal you bought was 2.25 I.D., other than that it was the correct seal. The 412920 is a double lipped seal with a garter spring, just too big on I.D.
__________________
'96 ProStar 205 SD LT-1
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-29-2014, 09:49 PM
Topp dawg Topp dawg is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X10
Location: Southeast
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Not sure if this is the correct seal but call them.

http://www.etrailer.com/question-69586.html

They will know what you need.
Called them and ordered 2 seals and brake pads. They were awesome and knew what they were talking about. Brake pads were around 25 bucks for 2 sets and the seals were 22 bucks each. Thanks again for the help.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bearings, brake pads, hub, oil bath, trailer

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:48 AM.