Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 05-27-2014, 09:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X10
Greased/Oiled bearings?

This past weekend my bearings went out on my single axle trailer "drivers side only". I have zero experience with this repair but I had no choice since it was a Sunday. So, on the side of the road with the help of Youtube I took the wheel off, removed the disc brake caliper, and disassembled the hub. I took my broken bearings and seal to advance auto parts and they sold me some parts and even greased the bearings for me. I didn't know to tell them that my brakes used oil instead of grease. At the time I didn't know the difference between greased bearings and oiled bearings. So, greased bearings are what I installed with no oil. So I want to do some upkeep on my other bearings, so should I take them apart, inspect them, and then grease them? Or should I just replace the oil? The seal definitely needs to be replaced because the oil that's in it now is very milky looking and most likely 11 years old. I have a 2003 Mastercraft X-10 with a 2003 Mastercraft trailer.

1st question "to recap": Should I use grease on my passenger side or remove the grease from the drivers side and use the oil? I want both sides to be the same.

2nd question: Does anyone know what kind of brake pads are on it so I can replace those as well, while I have the wheel off? The brake pads are so rusted I am unable to make out any numbers on them.
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2014, 09:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006. Mastercraft maristar
should be a small drain plug , (allen head) that will allow you to drain and fill. It is a oil bath system and takes 90 weight oil in oil. Pull one off and take bearings out and bring to any parts store or dealer. Can match and replace seals, , good system, just needs maintenance. You can also order more covers with a new sight cap glass.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Which is better to use though? Oil bath or grease the bearings?
Old 05-27-2014, 11:00 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Oil is great, because you can tell through the sight glass whether there's water in the oil, and whether it needs refilling. It does a great job of keeping the bearings lubricated.
Oil is terrible because if there's a problem that causes the oil to leak out (broken seal, cracked sight glass, etc), you can end up with destroyed bearings in just a few miles. You can go from everything is fine, to a cracked sight glass, to destroyed bearings, in less time than it takes you to drink the Super Big Gulp you got at the drive-thru.
Grease is terrible because you should pull the wheels yearly to inspect for water intrusion. If you use something like bearing buddies to try to prevent this problem, you can end up having to clean grease off your wheels when the grease leaks out the BB.
Grease is great because it continues to lubricate the bearings long after the environmental seal is lost. I've seen landscapers trailers that look like the bearing caps fell off ten years ago, and they're still rolling. I've lost a BB, and driven 100 miles home without a concern.

Choose your poison.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:35 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 2002 X30
You currently have oil bath bearing set-up. If you used grease on the hub you fixed you will have no way to pump any grease into the hub unless you changed the cap to a bearing buddy. I have had both oil and grease and I am not sure which one is best but I would make sure you change the cap to a bearing buddy if you are using grease in that hub.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

I think what I am going to do is clean the grease off and use the oil method. Any certain type of oil I should get?
Old 05-27-2014, 11:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topp dawg View Post
I think what I am going to do is clean the grease off and use the oil method. Any certain type of oil I should get?
90 weight gear oil is what I use.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Any suggestions on how to remove the grease? Brake cleaner maybe?
Old 05-27-2014, 11:46 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 2002 X30
I have a 2002 and I had the documentation on the hubs and it called out for 50W oil which was hard to find. I am not sure what yours would take because of year / trailer. One thing that will help you when you fill the hub is buy a little oil can with a pump. Then you can just pump it into the port on the outside diameter of the cap or hub instead of trying to use a funnel.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Do I just fill it completely. Or leave a little air in there? Also do I put oil in both screw holes or just the outside one?

Tags
bearings, brake pads, hub, oil bath, trailer