Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 06-22-2006, 11:29 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190, 351 Indmar
Finally fixed my gas tank sender

After 3 years of pulling the back panel to check the gas level (sure was glad the tank walls were see thru!) I replaced my sender. I bought a new sender from Skidim last fall, but just got around to actually checking it last night. I was hoping it wasn't the gauge! When I grounded the signal wire, the gauge pegged, so I knew it was the sender. Good thing I guessed right and already bought it! Pulling the tank was fairly easy, even with ~1/2 a tank full. It gave me a good chance to clean back there a bit too. Took about 2 hours. It would have been much faster (but not as fun) without my girls "helping" (playing) with me.
The old sender still worked, but the float didn't float. That explained the almost-always empty reading (the gauge would move a bit when jostled.) The new sender needed to be cut, but came with pretty good directions. I may have to re-calibrate it, we'll see. The old one would read empty when there was about 1-2" of gas in the tank, which makes sense because the fuel pickup is about 1" off the bottom. I'll keep a close eye on the next few tanks. Here are some pics (the last one showing victory!):
Attached Images

1989 ProStar 190 with "Safe T Top", 351 Ford, GT 40 heads painted Ford Blue, Elec. Ign, 1:1, 720 hours, 4 blade prop, PP 6.5, removable platform brackets, custom color from factory, hot water shower, Boat Buddy & LED lights on trailer
2010 D3 Z7, 2 @ 32 off, 34 mph so far
Old 06-22-2006, 03:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Prostar 205/2005 Maristar 210 VRS - MCX
Fuel tank sender

Great to know it was easy. I've been thinking about doing the same. Mine gets stuck. I know my burn rate so, I don't need to check that often, but would be nice to know exactly where I stand on fuel level.

Rob

2005 MariStar 210VRS - MCX - ACME #845
1994 Prostar 205 TBI 350 (previous boat)
2007 Sierra Classic 2500HD Crew Cab
Duramax/Allison 6 speed

War Eagle
Old 06-13-2014, 11:53 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190 351
Can you help me with where the green wire goes to. I also have another wire coming off the black wire that I believe is an extra ground that someone added prior to me taking the boat. I'm planning on getting rid of the extra black wire. The only thing that I can come up with is that the green wire may go up to the bolts for the filler neck, but I'm not sure. Any help is greatly appreciated. 1989 prostar 190 project.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:11 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Replace my sender last year. Same simple job though I didn't have helpers. Nice to have the gauge working properly.
With ST205/75R14..........$309
With ST215/75R14..........$346

PM or email me for tire, wheel or package pricing.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $199
Parts, labor and return shipping included

Holley Marine 4160 Freshly Rebuilt $349 - Delivered

2 LED 6" BRAKE LIGHTS DELIVERED $32
tiresplease@gmail.com

Coming soon.......TrailerEssentials.com
Old 06-14-2014, 12:20 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
I did the repair and it is now working. I had about 28 gallons in the tank when I did it and it was easy to pull the tank still
Old 06-14-2014, 01:08 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1999 MariStar 230VRS w/ LT-1
I replaced my defective stock sender unit last year with one from WEMA USA. It is all stainless steel and has a float instead of the resistance measuring stock unit. Works great now, and I won't be running out of gas like I did in the middle of the lake when my stock unit failed!
Old 06-14-2014, 09:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 ProStar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by funonthewater View Post
Can you help me with where the green wire goes to. I also have another wire coming off the black wire that I believe is an extra ground that someone added prior to me taking the boat. I'm planning on getting rid of the extra black wire. The only thing that I can come up with is that the green wire may go up to the bolts for the filler neck, but I'm not sure. Any help is greatly appreciated. 1989 prostar 190 project.
Yes, the filler neck is supposed to be grounded! I can't remember what color was attached to my filler (I replaced the sender in my '87 last summer) but I do remember that it was there. It's attached to one of the three bolts that hold the filler on.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:52 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190 351
Thank you this is very helpful. Attached are some photos of how I have everything set up. The one question remaining is the extra black wire that I remove. The one black wire coming from the sender unit to the connector was split and someone used a wirenut to splice an additional short wire coming off of it. It seemed like a dangerous set-up as well as being unnecessary, so I removed it and used a barrel connector and shrink tubing to reconnect the original wires and ensure everying was covered to eliminate any potential for a spark. Does anyone remember having an extra black wire? In the prior photos on this thred I did not see one.
Attached Images