Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-27-2014, 10:50 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X1
2005 X Star won't start

Hello all,

I bought a 2005 X Star with an MCX. The boat has 475 hours on it and ran great.... Friday. When I put it in on Saturday the boat would not start. It would turn over but never fired a lick. It had a completely full tank of gas both days. I check the power to the fuel pump and the pump is not being told to turn on. I thought it was the safety lanyard or the neutral switch, but I don't know. When I push the button on the safety lanyard I hear it click near the air intake, and when the lanyard is on I hear that same click when I turn the key. Where to start??
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2014, 12:58 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2005 X-Star MCX 350
I had similar problems with my 05 MCX x-star this year. Was riding during my first session out and out of no where power to boat died and then engine would not start. Ended up being a loose wire on the ignition coil causing the problem. Once we plugged the connection back in, boat worked fine. Make sure you check all your connections.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:09 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Ah you bought that one!! seems the price was good enough for these little gremlins. How old are the batteries?
Old 05-28-2014, 08:09 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X2
Kill switch was the first choice, so now move on to the fuel pump relay. There are three big black relays on top of the rear of the motor. Can't remember which one is for the fuel pump. That would be the next cheapest thing to check.
1993 ProStar 190 Star & Stripes - Sold
Old 05-28-2014, 08:30 AM
TT Regular

Yeah I was a gooood buy for $31,000. I don't know how old the batteries are, but one has 13V and the other 13.2V. It turns over really well. If I leave the key on for 30 seconds the screen in the dash flashes ECU, and when I crank it and then let off it also flashes ECU. Does that mean something?

I looked at the inputs for the fuel pump relay based on a schematic that I found. I do not get voltage when I measure across from 85 to 86 like I think it should. I do have power on 30, and when i jump across to 87 the fuel pump runs. So what I'm seeing is that the ECM (SMOKE) is not completing the circuit. I do not see the safety lanyard switch in this diagram. Any thoughts? THANKS!!!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf MEFI 4 Diag.pdf (107.7 KB, 43 views)
Old 05-29-2014, 02:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 XStar
To troubleshoot fuel pump, I learned this:

1.) Fuel pump is easily accessed by lifting the middle rear couch cushion and removing the black plastic container. Fuel pump is circular and sits on top of the fuel tank immediately middle seat.

2.) turn the key to ON without starting boat (don't turn key past ON) and listen for a humming sound which should last couple seconds - that's the fuel pump priming.

3.) get a fuel pump pressure gauge and watch for pressure "drops" at start up, increasing RPM's (w/o load), and then w/ load (ie as you're increasing speed not at idle). Can't remember what fuel pressure should be but I think 50 or greater psi. Check Indmar manual..

4.). If fuel pump is faulty the new MC pump is $$$, but can be purchased for $105 at autozone or similar auto parts store. Do your homework and PM me if you can't figure it out and I'll pull my old notes from last summer.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 XStar
I have 8.1L so should cross check with Indmar....

Last edited by StrmChzr; 05-29-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:28 PM
TT Regular

Thanks StrmChzr! But I've tested my fuel pump and it is fine. I don't have power to the fuel pump from the ECM. I have power to the fuel pump relay, and I can jump across the relay and make the fuel pump work, but I can't get the ECM to turn on the fuel pump. I have spark too. Thoughts?
Old 05-29-2014, 10:03 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 1999 Maristar 230 sport
Check for positive voltage with the key on at pin 86 of the fuel pump relay, measured to a good ground point. If you don't have positive then you have a blown fuse.

The ECM actually supplies the ground or negative to pin 85. If you look at the "SMOKE" ECM connector in the diagram you will see several ground "J1-13,J1-28,J1-29" connections locate these and be sure they are clean and tight. They are usually connected to the block some were.

My ECM had corrosion between the connectors and the ECM. Hope this helps sound like you are on the right track.
Good luck.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:03 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft X-30
Mine wont start either!

Sorry to butt in on this thread guys but I wanted to ask you a couple questions since it pertains to this same issue. Last weekend my boat (04' x30) died out on the water and wouldn't start. I diagnosed it to the fuel pump (I thought lol) so I replaced it last night but that didn't fix the problem. My boat will now start, run for a few seconds, but then putters out and dies. I have 00 psi at the fuel rail just like I had before I installed the new pump!

I'm pretty sure that it is either the fuel relay or the ECM like you guys have all mentioned but where do I find a wiring diagram so that I can diagnose the problem further? Also if you have an ideas or think it could be something else please let me know!