Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-20-2014, 12:14 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2005 X-Star MCX 350
05 MCX X-star dies and now won't start

Took the boat out for the first time this season after winterization. Started up fine and cruised around the lake for about 20 minutes. Oil, volts and temp gauges all reading fine. Couple hours later went out for a wake session, boat fired up fine and rode for probably 5 minutes. While turning around at the end of the lake the boat cut out. Engine died completely with all electronics still on with no check engine warnings. Went to fire it back up and the boat will not start. The starter cranks but will not fire up. We got a tow into the boat launch where we got ready to put it on the trailer. Just before putting it on the trailer we tried it again and the engine fired up no problem. Next day we tried it again and it fired up no problem. Slowly cruised out from the launch but when we tried to get on plane the engine died again and would not start. Looking for any help regarding the issue and first places to start looking to solve the problem. Thinking it may be electrical or something to do with fuel pumpů
Old 05-20-2014, 04:08 AM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Check fuel pump pressure and check the connector at the top of fuel pump module. Sometimes that connection is loose.

Original fuel pump? May be time for a new one anyway.
When's the last time you changed the fuel filter at the pump?
Old 05-20-2014, 08:04 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydave View Post
Check fuel pump pressure and check the connector at the top of fuel pump module. Sometimes that connection is loose.

Right on track, I go with a fresh fuel filter and impeller every spring to minimize my chances of a break down.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:13 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Bad kill switch?
Old 05-20-2014, 11:30 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:

Have not checked fuel pump pressure, connector at the top of the fuel pump module is secure. When I turn the key to accessory I can hear the pump turn on and prime.

We had the pump changed 3 seasons ago not sure about the fuel filter, something I'll look into.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:31 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossterman View Post
Bad kill switch?
Checked the kill switch, when the key is at accessory I can take the kill switch off which disengages all the gauges and when I put the kill switch back on it engages all the switches. I'm assuming this means it should be okay.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:02 PM
TT Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by djr47 View Post
Have not checked fuel pump pressure, connector at the top of the fuel pump module is secure. When I turn the key to accessory I can hear the pump turn on and prime.

We had the pump changed 3 seasons ago not sure about the fuel filter, something I'll look into.
Borrow a fuel pressure gauge from Autozone and see what you have. Just because the pump makes noise doesn't mean it's making pressure.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X15, 2006, MCX 5.7 liter vortex, yellow / white slider
I agree with Jerseydave. I was also fooled by the pump "spooling" up with ignition on, but it was not making adequate pressure. A pressure check is real easy to do, and you can borrow the guage.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:01 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Borrow a fuel pressure gauge from Autozone and see what you have. Just because the pump makes noise doesn't mean it's making pressure.
Thanks, I will check out the fuel pressure this weekend. I'm not entirely sure how the process works but from looking around on team talk it seems simple enough.

I've noticed there is a bit of controversy as to what is the correct range for fuel pressure for the MCX. Anyone have any experience with this? Will the pump create pressure when the key is turned to auxiliary?

Thanks
Old 05-21-2014, 07:57 PM
TT Hero

Connect pressure tester to valve on fuel rail (it looks like a tire valve)

Turn key to on position, but don't start engine

Some specs say minimum 60 psi, some say minimum 48 psi

If you ever ran your gas tank below 1/4 or if pump is original it's probably weak or dead.
Plenty of threads on here for pump replacement. I changed my whole fuel pump module.....but others have had success with just a pump replacement. Either way, get a new fuel filter for sure.

Tags
mcx 350, stalling, won't start