Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-18-2014, 08:43 PM
mzimme's Avatar
mzimme mzimme is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 3,070
Vinyl Separation Repair

So on my swim deck, I've got a spot where the seam has ripped due to dry cracking and just general neglect from the previous owner. The tear is about 3 inches long, foam exposed underneath. I'd like to just repair it with something to get me by for the season before I replace the entire thing. Is there a glue, or some way to stitch it back up? I wouldn't be too concerned with it, except it's on the sun/party pad and someone's toe will eventually snag on it ripping it even further, so I'd like to try to avoid that. Anyone have any suggestions? Doesn't need to be super pretty, but I also don't just want to slap a piece of duct tape on there and call it a day.
__________________
-Mike
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-18-2014, 09:01 PM
neil.anderson63's Avatar
neil.anderson63 neil.anderson63 is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Boat: 2007 X2
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 757
Check with your local used car dealer. They have a service they use to fix this kind of stuff. They usually do some nice work. There is a guy in Topeka that does nice work. He made a center panel on my cousin's boat and it looks factory. PM me if you want me to track down who he used.
__________________
Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-18-2014, 09:39 PM
mzimme's Avatar
mzimme mzimme is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 3,070
I'm not even sure I want to go that professional. I saw this stuff... anyone used it?

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/cnt...e-Adhesive.htm

Not looking for super pretty here, just need to get through this season. I plan on replacing the vinyl next winter.
__________________
-Mike
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-18-2014, 09:44 PM
mgs96ps's Avatar
mgs96ps mgs96ps is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Boat: 96 ProStar 190 LT1
Location: Midwest
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
So on my swim deck, I've got a spot where the seam has ripped due to dry cracking and just general neglect from the previous owner. The tear is about 3 inches long, foam exposed underneath. I'd like to just repair it with something to get me by for the season before I replace the entire thing. Is there a glue, or some way to stitch it back up? I wouldn't be too concerned with it, except it's on the sun/party pad and someone's toe will eventually snag on it ripping it even further, so I'd like to try to avoid that. Anyone have any suggestions? Doesn't need to be super pretty, but I also don't just want to slap a piece of duct tape on there and call it a day.
mzimme,

I am from the KC area....are you thinking of staying local when you do replace your interior?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-18-2014, 09:47 PM
mzimme's Avatar
mzimme mzimme is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 3,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs96ps View Post
mzimme,

I am from the KC area....are you thinking of staying local when you do replace your interior?
Wouldn't be opposed to it at all. I can still get full seats from the factory with new bases and all. I'll probably price that out, then see what I can find around the area. I want to retain the factory look on it though.


Do you do vinyl work?
__________________
-Mike
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-18-2014, 09:54 PM
mgs96ps's Avatar
mgs96ps mgs96ps is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Boat: 96 ProStar 190 LT1
Location: Midwest
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
Wouldn't be opposed to it at all. I can still get full seats from the factory with new bases and all. I'll probably price that out, then see what I can find around the area. I want to retain the factory look on it though.


Do you do vinyl work?
No...just doing my homework early. Like you not doing anything this season. Looking into G and J Upholstery in downtown old Olathe. Have you heard anything on them?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-19-2014, 06:29 PM
mzimme's Avatar
mzimme mzimme is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 3,070
I've heard of them, yes. When I called about my S&S back a couple years ago they wanted 3500 bucks to do that. Kinda steep for that tiny boat. They probably didn't realize how small it was though, so that quote was probably very high.


So... any other suggestions on a simple fix for the sun pad?
__________________
-Mike
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-19-2014, 07:20 PM
neil.anderson63's Avatar
neil.anderson63 neil.anderson63 is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Boat: 2007 X2
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 757
Go straight out Frankenstein. Loop needle and thread. Be sure to drink about 6 beers before you start so it's full blast ghetto!
__________________
Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-19-2014, 08:34 PM
clrussell's Avatar
clrussell clrussell is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
Location: midwest
Posts: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.anderson63 View Post
Go straight out Frankenstein. Loop needle and thread. Be sure to drink about 6 beers before you start so it's full blast ghetto!
Yes!! Best idea yet!
__________________
1990 prostar 190, 351, powerslot 1.5:1, tinted windows
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-20-2014, 10:04 AM
curver900 curver900 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
Location: midwest
Posts: 444
Don't forget pictures so we can see how nice it comes out too!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:18 PM.