Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-14-2014, 09:42 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1989 Mastercraft prostar 190
Several questions regarding prostar 190

Couple things maybe you guys can answer for me.. The boat in question is a 89 master craft prostar 190

Every since I have had the boat the volt meter on the dash reads 8-10 volts, when in reality with a volt meter the battery is reading 12+ volts..

When you press the horn button or turn the blower motor on the oil pressure and all other gauges flicker as well, including the fuel gauge... sometimes you press the horn button and it doesn't do anything, turn the key in another spot and it works, turn the key back and it does/doesn't work

I recently installed a new CD player and i was having issues with it randomly turning off and on... I have found a wire that appears to be coming from behind the dash that is a ground and I have RE-grounded it to that and it seems to have fixed the issue, but not as you turn the volume up the sound gets distorted... could this be due to the ****ty speaker wire the previous owner ran?

The steering wheel is getting more difficult to turn, I'm assuming there are cable or what? Can these be lubricated or??

Also on the switch panel on the right of the dash.. what is the purpose of the ''accessory'' option?

After my most recent lake trip i noticed a little bit of water just sitting on top of the engine or in some crevices.. i don't see anything that appears to be leaking, should i be concerned?
Old 05-14-2014, 10:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 89 Mastercraft Prostar 190
Your electrical issues are likely stemming from a bad/loose ground. I'd check all, clean em and grease them..
As for the steering, the cable and rudder can both be greased via zerks located in between your exhaust pipes.. (rudder is a little trickier as it's under your gas tank..)
I always find a little water on the intake manifold as well, wouldn't be overly concerned - just clean it up for it will rust out your manifold in the crevices it collects in..
Old 05-14-2014, 10:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
You likely have some corroded connections under the dash. First check the big black plug at rear of engine that connects boat harness to engine harness should be a heavy red wire check voltage if it pretty much matches the battery your problem is with the boat harness, second I would go directly to ignition switch measure voltage then your just gonna have to go through the dash harness.

On my boat I had a voltage drop it was the audible alarm that was consuming a few volts, removed it and cleaned up the dash harness and replaced ignition switch and all is good.

The audio is probably acting up because of the low voltage.

The rudder has a few grease zerks that can be lubricated, if that doesn't free up then you need replace the steering cable.

Accessory switch is just what it says an accessory you can add and use the switch to operate.

On the water leak, your just gonna have to investigate possibe with dog house lifted and observe. Might have a pin hole in one of the water hoses.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 05-14-2014, 11:12 PM
TT Regular

Forgive me for being so stupid and misinformed on a lot of this stuff, but there are these fittings you guys are talking about... anyone have a pic? The rudder is the thing that steers the boat, correct??

I'm gonna pull the dash cover off tomorrow and start looking at all connections and inspecting... as far as the water that i see its on the engine not the manifolds
Old 05-14-2014, 11:13 PM
TT Regular

Also do you guys know if the 89 model came with an audible alarm?
Old 05-14-2014, 11:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Maristar 240 SC
This should have a lot of useful info for you! Basic maintenance, basic terminology etc. It will probably not help with the electrical questions, but careful inspection and cleaning of your connections should help narrow your problems down.
http://www.MasterCraft.com/assets/manual/41.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2014, 11:58 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89mastercraft View Post
Also do you guys know if the 89 model came with an audible alarm?
Yes it did, but it likely doesn't work after all these years.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:39 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.mccreight@hotmail.com View Post
Yes it did, but it likely doesn't work after all these years.
Is there an image or what that looks like.. I remember seeing something that looked like an additional circuit board or something behind the dash on the right side?
Old 05-15-2014, 07:46 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89mastercraft View Post
Is there an image or what that looks like.. I remember seeing something that looked like an additional circuit board or something behind the dash on the right side?
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...t=56129&page=6

Old 05-15-2014, 09:42 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190 351 Indmar
Send a message via MSN to stuartmcnair
I had this EXACT problem on my 89 prostar. Put in a new horn switch and all was fixed. Give that a try as it was about a $10 10-minute fix. If you want to test it first just disconnect your horn switch and see what it does.

If you are lucky that will be the solution.