Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 06-14-2014, 08:23 AM
TT Regular

Boat: None
Good deal for these boards?

Recently bought a boat and gearing up to get my kids out on the water. I grew up boating before wakeboarding was around so my kids who are 10, 8,and 7 want to wakeboard. I have the opportunity to buy two used wakeboards a Hyperlite State 125 and a Hyperlite Motive 140 in great condition (barely used) at $450 for both. Not sure what year they are. Would these two boards be reasonable for beginners (125 for kids and 140 for adults)? Picture attached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2014, 08:36 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
The price seems a little high to me, but I have a gift for finding great deals. I would think $350 would be more realistic, but maybe someone else can set me straight. That 125 is definitely for kids or small women. The 140 is a good size for man-sized beginners, but it will be tough to progress on without getting something that is based off your style and size. Decent beginner boards though.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
That price is super expensive for some older equipment. You can grab a brand new 13 setup for under what both those run.

That Motive 140 (grey one) is from 2005..........so much with board technology has changed and made wakeboarding so much easier. Assuming the bindings are as well. The State (125) is also from 2005. Both were great learning boards with room to progress. However again so much has changed. Specifically with bindings. Those bindings will require dish soap, shaving cream, or some kind of waterski boot juice to slide into every single time. The Rubber on there while it may look in great condition, after sitting for close to 9 years will most likely deteriorate after some use.

I wouldn't pay more than 125 Per board . For 450 again you could be in way more current and comfortable gear. That's really high. Check out evo.com, buywake.com, the-house.com all have great deals. However if you could get those for 250 you' d be in great shape. You can find slightly used current boards and bindings in classifieds here for some current stuff.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:08 PM
TT Regular

Boat: None
Awesome. I felt like they were dragging me through the coals but wanted reassurance. Will look for some new boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2014, 02:08 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
Wow, didn't realize it was '05 gear. Def check into newer stuff. I highly recommend a closed-toe boot. While it's not as multi-user friendly, they are so much better.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a Mastercraft
Yeah, local shop had closeouts at 149 kids and 199 adult complete when I looked last week. Newer lighter boards and much better binding materials.

If you have a local shop check there first--that way they'll still be there if you need them. If you don't or they're unreasonable, then check the sites listed above.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '96 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk13 View Post
Yeah, local shop had closeouts at 149 kids and 199 adult complete when I looked last week. Newer lighter boards and much better binding materials.

If you have a local shop check there first--that way they'll still be there if you need them. If you don't or they're unreasonable, then check the sites listed above.
Where in the Midwest are you? I've been on the hunt for a kids wakeboard that won't break the bank. So far I am coming up empty.
Acme 541
PerfectPass Stargazer Wakeboard Edition
Old 06-16-2014, 11:53 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a Mastercraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by supturb89 View Post
Where in the Midwest are you? I've been on the hunt for a kids wakeboard that won't break the bank. So far I am coming up empty.
Those were in northern WI by my parent's place. I am in the center of the state.