Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 05-14-2014, 05:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1976 master craft stars and stripes
76 S & S wiring diagram please

After a long 10 weeks in trade school I'm finally going to get home and start work on my mastercraft. Nothing on my dash worked last year except the fuel guage. The tach would always read 6000 and everything else nothing. So I'm thinking of rewiring the whole dash and was looking for the wire diagram if anyone has it out there.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:09 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
I don't think there is a dash diagram out there, maybe someone with a similar model can snap a few pictures...

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 05-15-2014, 07:31 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown View Post
After a long 10 weeks in trade school I'm finally going to get home and start work on my mastercraft. Nothing on my dash worked last year except the fuel guage. The tach would always read 6000 and everything else nothing. So I'm thinking of rewiring the whole dash and was looking for the wire diagram if anyone has it out there.
You could probably find one of many diagrams here for the early models and follow that to some degree of certainty. It boils down to making each gadget work and if you can follow a similar diagram with the same schematic principle of getting results, I'd be inclined to trace everything out, one at a time and make it work.

Most of the instruments originate at the ignition on a hot wire (purple) and feed from that. Some things are wired from the 'run' terminal, some from the 'start' terminal (starter), and some from the 'accessory' terminal. Then piggyback from each, relative to the position of power needs.

Clean all of your current connection points, make sure you have clean cable or replace as needed with tinned cable, and use general common sense steps to assure of a good wiring project. Solid grounds preferably all in one (or few) places as as a common ground bus bar. Dielectric grease where needed and heat shrink where in doubt or have the opportunity. Skip the automotive store products and install or repair with tinned cable and good connectors with crimp and shrink. Use a good crimping tool where applicable.

http://www.genuinedealz.com/

$0.02

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 05-15-2014, 08:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1976 master craft stars and stripes
Yes ,i,am finishing my advance term in electrical trade school so I can read schematics. I want to replace all the wires as they look to be micky moused wired. I just don't know where anything goes? Not even sure if anything in my dash is connected right?
Old 05-16-2014, 08:07 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown View Post
Yes ,i,am finishing my advance term in electrical trade school so I can read schematics. I want to replace all the wires as they look to be micky moused wired. I just don't know where anything goes? Not even sure if anything in my dash is connected right?
Like I stated, take a similar schematic and use it for a guide. I figured you could read a diagram. Point is and as you ask, there's likely not one around for a 76 (specifically) but there are plenty of later model diagrams that apply for guidance.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767