Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 10-23-2014, 04:33 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2006, RTP-1
Film/Coating on boat?

I purchased an 06 X 2 and it is not in the greatest shape. I removed the X2 and am going for just a clean look. The e's were missing and some of the other parts of the decal were cracked and scuffed. As I removed the X2 it seemed there was a hardened film that was trying to come with it from white areas of the side.
I am trying to understand what this is. Would old wax harden like this? Is there a coating on the boat, some kind of protectent?
thanks for assistance.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:38 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdub0717 View Post
I purchased an 06 X 2 and it is not in the greatest shape. I removed the X2 and am going for just a clean look. The e's were missing and some of the other parts of the decal were cracked and scuffed. As I removed the X2 it seemed there was a hardened film that was trying to come with it from white areas of the side.
I am trying to understand what this is. Would old wax harden like this? Is there a coating on the boat, some kind of protectent?
thanks for assistance.
it's probably the decal adhesive. when i removed all my graphics i used a blow dryer and some goo gone and then washed and waked the hull.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:38 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2006, RTP-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttu View Post
it's probably the decal adhesive. when i removed all my graphics i used a blow dryer and some goo gone and then washed and waked the hull.
I don't think it is adhesive. I used adhesive remover in the area of the decal.
You can see the color difference from where the decal was removed. I want to get it back to a nice white like this area.
Look at the picture posted. I carefully put a blade behind this coating.
Is it additional get coat after the decal application? I am a novice at this.
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2014, 12:08 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Inboards
personally I would not use a regular razor blade on adhesive. How i do it is a combination of plastic razor blades ( http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Razor-...ic+razor+blade ) kerosene and naphtha (lighter fluid) pulls any adhesive off without a problem and you can get pretty aggressive with that stuff and it doesn't scratch or harm the glass or gelcoat.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:42 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X2
It looks to be funk build up over the years. You will need to get compound and a buffer and go to town! Take your time.