Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 03-20-2016, 04:24 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MC
Let's Design a Flag Pole

I've been thinking about the idea of having a custom aluminum (CNC Lathed) flag pole that would fit in the transom pylon slot. Maybe 2-3 ft tall. Thought it might be interesting to discuss the design of this, as others might be interested in the same item. Some open questions:

Material choice/cost (Aluminum, Steel, etc)
Fabrication (CNC lathe, stock material, etc)
Style (Classic flag pole look vs modern look, vs pylon look, etc)
Height considerations (storage, tower tow point interference, etc)
Design elements (grooves for large flag as well as 2 small flag option, flag attachment, etc).

If anyone else is interested, and we land on a design we all like, I'm willing to manage the project.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:56 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2008 X45 8.1 Vortec
I am interested in a flagpole, but was hoping for something a little more "permanent." Although I'm sure your idea would turn out great, I don't want to have to remove the flagpole when someone wants to ski. Is that what you envision?
Thanks for the ideas!
Old 03-22-2016, 02:09 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Larson, Escape, 2000
I think this is a great idea. I see pros and cons for using the pylon slot. You would need to remove it if you were pulling anyone so not to block the view of the person behind the boat from the driver. What about something for the tower? Could you extend the anchor light to accommodate a flag? Or, and I don't particularly like the thought of putting holes in the boat, but maybe something that you could make for the stern next to the engine compartment, sort of like a fishing pole holder that you can cap when not being used. Just throwing out ideas. Looking forward to seeing what other ideas/concepts people have.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Prostar 197 TT 350 MCX
$29.99 at Scheels if you have one near you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2016, 03:55 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MC
Thanks all for the comments, ideas! Agree that the pylon slot might be cumbersome for boarding off the transom. I'm not excited about screwing something into my new boat, so it would have to be either a better mousetrap for the tower than the aftermarket stuff I've found, or the pylon slot. I like the classic look of the flag off the bow (see images and yes, I know these are CC, but cut me some slack ) So as long as it easily removed/stowed, I still lean that direction. Thoughts?
Attached Images